Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
aryaya
Registered Users
seller

advice on creams or oils for *postpartum* already-there stretch marks? :/

Wondering if any of you have found any natural type creams (possibily Mederma, etc?) that helped diminish angry red stretch marks?

I am never too keen on lotions with all the chemicals in them these days. And especially with breastfeeding I'm a bit cautious. While pregnant I just slathered on some cream from etsy that was all natural stuff. Still got stretch marks. oh well.

I can learn to live with my stretch marks, but kinda curious while they're still 'fresh' (42-weeker with road map on my tummy now!) if there's something I can put on them to help them out a bit.

Any product suggestions??

Advertisement

aryaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #2
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: advice on creams or oils for *postpartum* already-there stretch marks? :/

You can get a cream (Vitamin A acid cream, or something like that? My doctor prescribed if after my first, but I never filled the prescription.) that will make them fade faster. They will eventually become light silvery colored on their own, but they will never go away, and as far as I know, there's anything that will get rid of them, no matter what they might promise.
Stretch marks are mostly genetic - not a whole lot you can do to prevent them, aside from avoiding gaining excessive amounts of weight. The preventative creams are mostly bogus IMO as well. Keeping yourself fit and well-hydrated is the best defense against them, but as I said, some people just ARE going to get them, and some AREN'T. Don't beat yourself up about them - they're just a badge of motherhood. Congrats on the new little one!

Last edited by ~Cricket~; 03-07-2013 at 01:26 PM.
~Cricket~ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #3
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

congrats. yes I got from puberty too. nothing prevents from my experience besides gaining & loosing weight excessively.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
aryaya
Registered Users
seller

^ same here. It is definitely genetic for me. Got them at puberty on my hips even though I am a petite person. I actually weighed the same after giving birth (all birth weight gained, nothing extra)...so even with no weight gain, stretch marks can happen. :P

Thanks for the thoughts though. That's what I was wondering - if the creams just help fade, and nothing much more than that. I have a hard time believing stretch marks could 'heal'. Unless someone here has actually seen the lines decrease in size, then I'd be curious!
Old 03-08-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
blessedwifenmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I made this salve, except I made it into a whipped body butter in my food processor (rather than melting the oils in a double boiler I just put them into my food processor solid and let it do all the work). I just made it a few days ago and haven't grown a whole lot yet, but hoping it will help keep the stretch marks at bay, although I doubt they will actually go away. I know bone broth is really good for you and full of collagen, so I keep thinking I really need to start consuming it daily as well. I think that would be more beneficial than any cream you may apply to the skin, but that's just my theory.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #6
aryaya
Registered Users
seller

I completely believe in healing from the inside out through diet etc too. I ate a lot of healthful oils, hemp seeds, cod oil...lots of good proteins etc and I usually make a curry with a whole chicken once a week (bone broth). Ate that way for health but hoped it would help. Still did not help the stretch marks - my tummy looks like a pumpkin (the kinds with all the lines!) haha... boo. Sometimes I guess it's just unavoidable.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #7
Yarnjess
Registered Users
seller

Straight up coconut oil made mine fade faster than anything else. It softens scar tissue and helps it heal better.
Yarnjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:35 PM   #8
bananaclip
Registered Users
seller

My mother used straight cooking coconut oil as a moisturizer years after her stretch marks, and it did work to fade the old silver lines. I would try coconut oil. She also mixed the oil in smoothies and cooked with it as it is a great saturated fat.
bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:30 AM   #9
aryaya
Registered Users
seller

I'm so glad to read so many good things about coconut oil because that's what I've been using lately after showering! Will continue.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #10
sweetgirl626
Registered Users

My midwife told me a "cheat" for fading out the angry color of some stretch marks. Hydrogen peroxide applied with a Q tip for a few minutes before a shower on the angry areas. She said over time the marks should fade with good nutrition anyway, this just helped to speed it up a bit.

For helping the skin to plump back up and heal I personally used this salve: http://www.beeyoutiful.com/miracle-skin-salve.html Although I got stretch marks with both of my full term pregnancies (and expect to get even more with this 3rd pregnancy) except for the skin still feeling fragile and a bit textured on my lower abdomen you can't see them anymore.
sweetgirl626 is offline   Reply With Quote