Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-08-2013, 09:39 AM   #11
paaterzone
Registered Users
seller

Re: Maternity Leave

I ended up with a planned c section so we got to choose the day and work until then BUT before that was planned the intention was to work up until the day. I'm a teacher and wanted to maximize all my time with my baby. Just have a plan in place--for instance, I had my doctor's number and information all written out for my aide and had a plan in place for coverage in case I had to leave right away. Incidentally, the last week before my c section was a bit hairy--there were a few moments when I thought he might make an early appearance. Just plan to take it a bit easy for those last few weeks.

Advertisement

paaterzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:47 AM   #12
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers View Post
Is there any way they could go some days with DH? Although, if you can send them over for music, PE, and recesses that would be awesome breaks for you.

I can probably send my 5 year old with him but not the 2 year old. It totally depended on who we got for my substitute, and the lady we got is a retired teacher, and wouldn't be keen on my 2 year old being there. But there are 2 recesses, lunch, and PE everyday, so that's at least 1.5 hours, and it will bread up the day. On Thursdays we have counselor and music in addition to all the other stuff, so that's another 1.5 hours that they can go down there. Plus, we only go to school Monday through Thursday.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #13
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

Wow, there are a bunch of teachers/school personnel. I guess it does make sense if you plan it that way to get the summer off. It worked out perfectly with my last DD since she was born the very first day of summer vacation, so DH and I both had off the entire summer with her.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #14
mdm81888
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm also a teacher. I'm taking off after spring break (1 week before baby's due) and coming back in August.
mdm81888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #15
melilo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Um, not a teacher here, lol!

I start leave Sunday, technically. Would've worked longer, but wasn't feeling up to it this go-around.

Rubber City Doula You Deserve A Doula!
DONA Trained Birth Doula
melilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:27 PM   #16
jessicanashville
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am not a teacher either... I work in Environment and Safety My 90 day probation period with my new company was up on March 3... Which is when I would have been hired in permanently... But I was already home on bedrest so I guess since there are no benefits to a speedy maternity leave I will take as long as I want. I am guessing 6 weeks, maybe 8.
jessicanashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #17
TCKmom
Registered Users

Lol, I'm also a school teacher and as much as I would like to take off a week before the baby is due to spend a little time with DD and accomplish some last minute nesting, I do not even have enough sick days to cover the 6 weeks after the baby arrives so I'm going to have to miss a paycheck or two so the plan is to work up until I go into labor. I might have to go on bed rest though which means missing more paychecks but whatever it takes to keep baby healthy and safe. I'll also be going back for 2 weeks to finish out the school year ( we go to the end of June here) and then have the summer with baby before I have to be back in the building the last week of August.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:15 PM   #18
USNsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCKmom View Post
Lol, I'm also a school teacher and as much as I would like to take off a week before the baby is due to spend a little time with DD and accomplish some last minute nesting, I do not even have enough sick days to cover the 6 weeks after the baby arrives so I'm going to have to miss a paycheck or two so the plan is to work up until I go into labor. I might have to go on bed rest though which means missing more paychecks but whatever it takes to keep baby healthy and safe. I'll also be going back for 2 weeks to finish out the school year ( we go to the end of June here) and then have the summer with baby before I have to be back in the building the last week of August.
I'm in the same boat as you. By going as long as I can, I can minimize the number of "no pay" days during my leave. Fortunately, I've had a really easy/healthy pregnancy so far, so there's no need (just yet) to worry that I might go out early. I dread the lesson planning for the rest of the school year!
Old 03-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #19
babyrosie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am a RN and plan on working right up until my due date. Edd is 4/16 and my leave starts 4/21. 6 weeks of leave and then I will be able to work the schedule to have another 4-5 weeks off so about 10 weeks total. With dd, I worked a half day on a Thursday because I got put on bed rest and then went in for my induction the next morning.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:04 PM   #20
LacyHolly
Registered Users

I am hoping to work RIGHT up until Baby comes...like, I'm hoping I will have to call and tell my job, "Sorry, I can't come in to work tonight because I'm in labor!!" Lol. I used to work two jobs, but quit one of them a few weeks ago because 55+ hours a week of split schedule work 5 days a week got tiring. I will actually be technically quitting my midnights job too once Baby comes.
We can't afford for me to not work at all, but I just don't think that working midnights would work out well for me after Baby is here...so I'll be not working for a few weeks and then I'll be looking for something part time. That way we do not have to worry about daycare. I'm hoping it works out!

Looking for Thirsties fitteds with hook and loop
LacyHolly is offline   Reply With Quote