Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #11
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Tell me about a Minimalist Kitchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigo152 View Post
Thanks for all the ideas! Nobody was brave enough to post photos, though
I'll bite

View of kitchen from eating area. The white 'box' is a magazine holder that mail and papers goes into. Every few weeks I go through it, and only save things there that really are useful (coupons that I think I might use, catalogs to read, papers for DH to looks at). If I haven't used the coupon in a few weeks, I ditch it. If I haven't read through the catalog/magazine, I ditch it. After DH reads it, I ditch it. Most things go straight into the recycling before ever being put into the white basket. The jars hold seeds/nuts that we snack on constantly. I'm contemplating putting them back into a cabinet.

View from the other direction of sink and the rest of the island. Fruit basket and aloe plant.

The other wall of the kitchen. Nothing on top of fridge. Toaster oven stays out. Counter tops typically stay bare but occasionally I have a flat cutting board on the right side or a skillet sitting on stove top.

Advertisement

SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #12
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Elizabeth, that is beautiful. I only aspire to have a kitchen like that.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #13
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here is my sad imitation of Elizabeth's kitchen. Don't mind the blue painter's tape, I have not finished grouting the backsplash.

Southeast corner:
On the counters from left to right, Girl Scout cookies (because we have to keep track of what we are eating vs selling, LOL), plant, fire extinguisher, water/vinegar bottle, flashlight, and diluted Dawn in a foaming soap dispenser for washing dishes/hands.

Southwest corner:
On counter, Kuerig, roll of paper towels that lasts us 4-6 weeks, bread basket. And way too many papers on the fridge.

Northeast corner (pic taken from DW vantage point):
On counter, hair brush/hair ties/detangler basket, pencil sharpener, a jar of chocolate coins they won't let me toss, fruit basket, and basket that holds phones/ereaders recharging. On the table is a tray full of art/homework supplies in mason jars. We also have a dining table in another room so we do lots of artwork and homework here.

Northwest corner (from the range's vantage point):
Command center and pantry.

So not totally minimalist but getting there. And I totally cop to having crap all over the eight foot window seat at the end of the table (not pictured, LOL) It's full of art/homework papers, etc. That is a raging hotspot I can't seem to get under control. Considering putting garden seedlings there to keep it from getting junked up.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:40 PM   #14
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:

Cheryl, love the baskets for corraling the stuff on the counter top! Your kitchen is quite gorgeous BTW.

I know most people have the hardest time with the kitchen but for me it was fairly easy to start with. I realized that most of the stuff dumped there actually belonged in other rooms, soall I had to do was move it . Now that I've gotten it this clean (it doesn't always stay QUITE this clean) it's much easier to see what's out of place and move it. I'm not a foodie by any means so I've never accumulated much kitchen stuff, so organization/storage space in the kitchen wasn't an issue, so storing stuff on the countertop wasn't necessary.

It also helps that my DH has been out of town for 10 days. He's coming home tonight. Guarantee in the morning it will look like a Hoarders episode.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #15
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You asked for it, prepare for pic overload.
I've changed a few things since these pics but don't feel like taking new ones.

Standing near the front door, looking into the kitchen:
Mushroom is gone. Cabinets contain plates/bowls/glasses, mixing bowls/colander/mason jars, seasonings/pasta and above the stove is flours/sugars/etc, other side of stove cabinets hold food. Drawer under microwave hold cooking utensils.

Taken from in front of the oven:
Drawers right of the dishwasher have garbage/grocery bags and marble cheese slicer. Under sink is cleaning supplies. Left of sink drawers are silverware, kitchen towels, cloth napkins.

Farther left from the previous pic:
Rooster has been replaced by Kitchenaid mixer and a small basket for DH. Base cabinets from L to R- Extra drinks (juice/water), casserole and pyrex dishes, drawers above those two hold cords/DH's stuff and stamps/tape/my stuff. Next two base cabinets hold small appliances. Drawers hold grill tools/cookie cutters and foil/plastic wrap. Far upper cabinet holds medical/herbal things, a container of pens and lunch supplies (boxes, containers, etc).

Farther left still:
I keep the table clear now. We don't have a separate dining room.

Read about our homeschool journey here.

Last edited by ~Laura~; 03-09-2013 at 11:02 AM.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:14 AM   #16
indigo152
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for sharing photos! Seeing clear counters is truly inspiring! So much so, that I was able to get my counters clear last night, and they are clean again this morning after breakfast.

Since I asked for your photos, now I will share mine My kitchen cabinets, counter, and floor, are not fancy materials. I am starting to get an urge to paint my cabinets. I think my DH is almost onboard with the idea. I just need to select a color to really convince him (and myself) that it will be worth all the work!

Attachment 136461

Attachment 136460

Attachment 136462

Attachment 136459

Notice there is no coffee maker on the counter? I do like the look of it gone! (But, trust me, I pulled it out this morning). Ideally, I also want to put my trash can under the kitchen sink.

Last edited by indigo152; 04-15-2013 at 07:24 PM.
indigo152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #17
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I know what you mean about painting the cabinets. I cannot stand the brick and dark cabinets. I cannot wait to redo the kitchen and make it lighter, just happy now that I have so many windows. The clean surfaces help though.

Read about our homeschool journey here.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote