Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-05-2013, 09:11 AM   #1
Sdayfamily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Buyer beware! The pump that almost made me quit BFing!

Just wanted to post this for other moms so they know what they are getting into. It all started when my good old pump stopped 4 wks pp. I had used it with my daughter four years ago. I had extremely sore nipples and just started pumping round the clock for some relief. Once I started healing, I planned on trying to continue latching on. after hours of research, I decided to buy the Dr. Brown's Simplisse pump advertised as a "double electric pump". It had good reviews online at Target and I was saving about $50 not buying the Medela.

So I buy this thing on a Friday, get it home only to learn it is not like any other double electric pump! Only after opening the box, (at which point you cannot return the item!) it informs me that it uses a compression technology to try and stimulate the nipple like a baby would and if you have used a double electric pump in the past, there is a transition period to allow your body to get used to this pump. Once your body adjusts, you are supposed to be able to get more milk in less time. Ok, I am not freaking out at this point, but I am not happy. I try and try, but I cannot get any milk out with this pump! It is now too late in the day to call customer care and they do not open again until Monday. It was a terrible weekend! I had to nurse instead of pump and I would literally scream in pain when he nursed because it was so bad. At this point, I am seriously considering formula because I cannot pump and it hurts too bad to nurse. I keep going, telling myself I will get answers on Monday.

Monday, I call customer service ready to take them up on their money back guarantee and it turns out, they want you to wait even longer. Per the LC, I had to pump five minutes each side every two hours for the next four days even if nothing comes out. Before using this pump, I could get 1 1/2 to 2 ounces each side. Now? I am getting 1/2 ounce on the right and only a few drops on the left. Even if I am engorged and leaking, as soon as this pump starts everything stops! I am so frustrated and completely regretting my purchase.I wish they would have told me about this possible transition period BEFORE I opened the box. I never would have purchased this!

I also started developing a lump on my left side which was a clogged duct that I had to get a prescription for to prevent the infection from getting worse and becoming mastitis.

The refund took another three weeks but I went ahead and bought the Medela when I returned the Simplisse! I hope this helps any mom out there that is considering this pump. I am not saying that it won't work for you, but know what to expect with this one. And as hard as those weeks were, it has gotten better. We have a better latch, healed nipples and a pump that works! I hope to continue BF for the first year and I absolutely love my Medela.

Advertisement

Sdayfamily is offline   Reply With Quote