Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-08-2013, 02:59 AM   #1
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

Easiest "On the road" curriculum?

As some of you know DH travels across the U.S. for work and we are thinking about the kids and I joining him this summer. We are planning to travel with him for about a year with a few weeks home. I'm looking for 2nd grade and Pre-k curriculum that is workbook light as we will not have the room to store a ton of things in the 5th wheel. I'm looking for a guided , hands-on , travel friendly curriculum. Any suggestions?

Advertisement

Old 03-08-2013, 06:34 AM   #2
fawnlovesjasper
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Easiest "On the road" curriculum?

I would look for things that can be stored digitally, things you can download and either read off the laptop or a tablet (and you can actually use dry erase on the screen, just make sure to clean it off right away so it doesn't dry on there).
Old 03-08-2013, 06:41 AM   #3
fiveofhearts
Registered Users

No suggestions but how awesome is this?! I used to always hope somehow dh would get a j ob that required travel for us to hs on the road. That in itself will be such a learning experience!
fiveofhearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:57 AM   #4
fawnlovesjasper
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveofhearts View Post
No suggestions but how awesome is this?! I used to always hope somehow dh would get a j ob that required travel for us to hs on the road. That in itself will be such a learning experience!
I know, I'm so jealous. My hubby used to work on the road but quit when we started our family. Now I wish we would have bought a large camper instead of a house..lol

Ok some I can think of that are downloads (well anything on Currclick of course).

Math there is Math Mammoth or even Teaching Textbooks (disks you don't need the workbook.. but then that doesnt start till 3rd grade but is comparable to most 2nd grade homeschool maths), also the free MEP and CSMP.

Language Arts is pretty endless on the options. Evan Moor books, the books from Peace Hill Press, lots of free options. I would use a kindle or a tablet for reading books.

Science and Social Studies hmmmm most of these I can think of require books... but what about Intellego Unit Studies? I have all of these and they are ok, though they do feel disjointed to me and I kind of gave up on them, they could be a good jumping off point for you and only take up some space on your computer. Also you have the books from Pandia Press (History Odyssey and R.E.A.L Science).
Old 03-08-2013, 07:22 AM   #5
7mom7
Registered Users

Awesome! That's my dream life!
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:25 AM   #6
blondeviolin
Registered Users
seller
seller

I actually think we'd stick with what we do now.

FLL, WWE, Cursive and spelling all fit in one binder. Singapore Math takes up a small amount of space for a whole year. Story of the World we do with the kindle and the iPad and keep the student pages in a binder. RSO we keep in a proclicked notebook. I'd just have to pick up materials for experiments and the like as we needed them. I could fit all of my oldest's things (age 6, but doing nearly all subjects above grade level) in a milk crate. That being said, I'd definitely be sure to have at least 2 kindles (one for me and one for the older) and one iPad. I would also make sure we stopped at plenty of libraries and book stores. Even if you can't check out or buy books, you can still read them to the kids there.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #7
lyn1270
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would recommend Classical Conversations. It's all subjects but Reading/Phonics and you might also need an additional math particularly for your older child. CC is a classical learning community, but, you wouldn't have to participate in the community. You could just purchase the CDs and/or Timeline cards. The CDs include Timeline, History, Science, English, Latin, Bible, Presidents, and some other stuff. Many of the things are set to song, so you & your kids & your hus would be singing these songs in your sleep My kids do CC throughout the year, and it is VERY portable. And it's quick. And it'd fun. And it's perfect for littles. Here are some links if you are interested. This is the online catalog. CC has 3 cycles. We are currently doing Cycle 1. It would make no difference what Cycle you did. You could start with 1 or 2 or 3. The Math & Timeline are the same in all 3. The other subjects change info in the cycles. If you are doing this on the road, you could make do w/just the CDs and the Timeline Cards. The CDs are on page 14. They only have Cycles 1 & 2 right now, but 3 will probably come out next year. The cards are on page 16. They are called Classical Acts & Facts Cards. There are 4 sets. The Timeline song on the CDs goes through all of the sets. We have all of the sets in 2 3-ring binder. My kids like to flip through them, look at the pics, and chat about them.

you could also get a Geography Trivium. It's maps. They are laminated. So you can use dry erase markers to mark on them which would be easy for the car.

Last edited by lyn1270; 03-08-2013 at 10:56 AM.
lyn1270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:32 AM   #8
7mom7
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyn1270
I would recommend Classical Conversations. It's all subjects but Reading/Phonics and you might also need an additional math particularly for your older child. CC is a classical learning community, but, you wouldn't have to participate in the community. You could just purchase the CDs and/or Timeline cards. The CDs include Timeline, History, Science, English, Latin, Bible, Presidents, and some other stuff. Many of the things are set to song, so you & your kids & your hus would be singing these songs in your sleep My kids do CC throughout the year, and it is VERY portable. And it's quick. And it'd fun. And it's perfect for littles. Here are some links if you are interested. This is the online catalog. CC has 3 cycles. We are currently doing Cycle 1. It would make no difference what Cycle you did. You could start with 1 or 2 or 3. The Math & Timeline are the same in all 3. The other subjects change info in the cycles. If you are doing this on the road, you could make do w/just the CDs and the Timeline Cards. The CDs are on page 14. They only have Cycles 1 & 2 right now, but 3 will probably come out next year. The cards are on page 16. They are called Classical Acts & Facts Cards. There are 4 sets. The Timeline song on the CDs goes through all of the sets. We have all of the sets in 2 3-ring binder. My kids like to flip through them, look at the pics, and chat about them.

you could also get a Geography Trivium. It's maps. They are laminated. So you can use dry erase markers to mark on them which would be easy for the car.
I hadn't thought of cc as being portable but you're right, it totally is. I vote cc too. It's such a great curriculum!
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #9
Kristi26
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What about www.amblesideonline.org? The bulk of the books used each year are free between Amazon's Kindle, Project Gutenberg, and the Baldwin Project. You can type up oral summaries and do some minimal copywork each day in a regular notebook. For math, I'd stick with Math-U-See and bring my blocks in a ziplock baggie.
-Kristi,wife(5/02), , HSing, CDing,SAHM to Andrew(1/00), Lukas(2/03),Lily (1/06),and Ian (5/09) !Sweet Gwen, stillborn, 12/26/11, angel baby 7/08 Free History plans and more here: http://themommywriter.blogspot.com/
Kristi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #10
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi26 View Post
What about www.amblesideonline.org? The bulk of the books used each year are free between Amazon's Kindle, Project Gutenberg, and the Baldwin Project. You can type up oral summaries and do some minimal copywork each day in a regular notebook. For math, I'd stick with Math-U-See and bring my blocks in a ziplock baggie.
I was thinking the same thing. It would take some pre-planning but I just started using it with my boys and most of the books are on the kindle or free right on the site (so you can read them on your lap top). I'm using LOF for math with Kahn academy for any supplementing.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote