Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 11:02 PM   #11
Rdesonia's Avatar
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,099
My Mood:
Re: Ebay fees

You can list auction style (up to 50 free) a month.
The final value fee includes shipping. It is in your best interest to ship as cheaply as possible. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1454378 the best shipping thread ever!) The Final value fee is about 9% but I calculate 10% as it is much easier math.
Paypal is 30 cents plus 2.3% of the total amount (includes shipping) I use 3% as it is easier math!

Example :
You list diaper. You sell it for $5 plus $3 shipping. Total $8.00
Ebay gets .80 cents
Paypal gets 30 cents plus 24 cents = 54 cents
Shipping is $3.00
You get =$3.66 (appox)
(If you sold it on Diaperswappers, you only have paypal fee so you would get $4.46)

You can always calculate ahead of time the price of fees and adjust the price as needed.

ETA: As a PP mentioned sometimes they will hold fund. Usually this is only for the fist 20 transactions or so. The $ is held for 2 weeks or until Delivery confirmation shows the item arrived. If you use Ebay shipping it will let you use the funds from the sale to buy postage online. If you do not buy postage online, you should manually enter the DC number (tracking # as it is now called) as you will get your $ faster that way.

Advertisement

__________________
Sahm married to a wonderful man who does the dishes with DS 11/18/02 and DD 7/11/11

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia

Last edited by Rdesonia; 03-17-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:16 AM   #12
evamyster88's Avatar
evamyster88
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ga
Posts: 904
My Mood:
Re: Ebay fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdesonia View Post
You can list auction style (up to 50 free) a month.
The final value fee includes shipping. It is in your best interest to ship as cheaply as possible. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1454378 the best shipping thread ever!) The Final value fee is about 9% but I calculate 10% as it is much easier math.
Paypal is 30 cents plus 2.3% of the total amount (includes shipping) I use 3% as it is easier math!

Example :
You list diaper. You sell it for $5 plus $3 shipping. Total $8.00
Ebay gets .80 cents
Paypal gets 30 cents plus 24 cents = 54 cents
Shipping is $3.00
You get =$3.66 (appox)
(If you sold it on Diaperswappers, you only have paypal fee so you would get $4.46)

You can always calculate ahead of time the price of fees and adjust the price as needed.

ETA: As a PP mentioned sometimes they will hold fund. Usually this is only for the fist 20 transactions or so. The $ is held for 2 weeks or until Delivery confirmation shows the item arrived. If you use Ebay shipping it will let you use the funds from the sale to buy postage online. If you do not buy postage online, you should manually enter the DC number (tracking # as it is now called) as you will get your $ faster that way.
How long do they hold funds for? An item that I sent was confirmed received two days ago, but there is no sign of my money. I have contacted the seller, but they have not responded. I don't know how long to wait before I involve ebay.
__________________
Eva, Mom to Madison(7), Natalie(5) and Callen(3m)
evamyster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:08 AM   #13
kbz2002's Avatar
kbz2002
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: CNY
Posts: 14,603
Re: Ebay fees

I sort of stopped doing ebay it really wasn't worth it to me after all the fees and everything. I was only netting about $2.00 an outfit and it's a lot of work to take all the pictures, write the descriptions, etc.

I'm going to try for the consignment sales. That's a huge chunk of clothes that will hopefully be sold and then I don't have to worry about spending all that time on listing.

Although I will still list things that are higher dollar amounts.
__________________
-Kathy, a WOHM mom to Victoria (11/11/07) and Lukas James (11/6/2012)!
kbz2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #14
Rdesonia's Avatar
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,099
My Mood:
Re: Ebay fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by evamyster88 View Post
How long do they hold funds for? An item that I sent was confirmed received two days ago, but there is no sign of my money. I have contacted the seller, but they have not responded. I don't know how long to wait before I involve ebay.
Is this for a refund? You should file a claim if it is a refund issue. I was talking about them holding funds when you are the seller.

If you sell via Ebay , paypal will hold the money for 2 weeks OR after the item shows delivered via tracking. Typically it is less than 2 weeks unless you don't ship right away/package has to go a long distance. (international)
__________________
Sahm married to a wonderful man who does the dishes with DS 11/18/02 and DD 7/11/11

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:24 PM   #15
evamyster88's Avatar
evamyster88
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ga
Posts: 904
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdesonia

Is this for a refund? You should file a claim if it is a refund issue. I was talking about them holding funds when you are the seller.

If you sell via Ebay , paypal will hold the money for 2 weeks OR after the item shows delivered via tracking. Typically it is less than 2 weeks unless you don't ship right away/package has to go a long distance. (international)
I am the seller and the item has shown delivered since the 13th and my funds would be available on the 16th. I have not received payment and there is nothing pending in PayPal.
__________________
Eva, Mom to Madison(7), Natalie(5) and Callen(3m)
evamyster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #16
expaik's Avatar
expaik
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: California
Posts: 5,974
Re: Ebay fees

Here are tips to reduce eBay selling fees:
- as PP mentioned, use your 50 free monthly auction-style listings. No insertion fees.
- quite often (like 2 or 3 times a month lately) eBay offers free listing promotional days. For example, right now, between 3/16-3/19, sellers can list up to 500 items either auction-style or buy-it-now, without any insertion fees.
- don't use any of the special features that you have to pay extra for (subtitles, cross-category listing, Gallery pictures, etc.)
- if you're a top-rated seller, offer the 1-day handling and 14-day return policy to get a 20% discount off final value fees. I recently started doing this and it's great.
- Most often, auction listings have lower final value fees than buy-it-now, with one IMPORTANT exception: electronics. So computer stuff, phone stuff, consumer electronics, etc. - these only have a 7% final value fee when listed buy-it-now. Whereas auction style listings all get a 9% final value fee charged. So ALWAYS list your electronics as buy-it-now.
__________________
Ellen, part-time freelancing SAHM to Diane('06), Ryan('08), Darren('10); wife to the best man in the world, Jake.
Trade with me - I have and need LOTS:
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...2#post17509152
expaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #17
Ducko's Avatar
Ducko
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Washington
Posts: 3,058
My Mood:
Re: Ebay fees

I've switched to selling with the local facebook buy/sell groups. No fees other than possible gas to get to a meet-up location. I just do meet ups when I go shopping and meet outside the grocery store. It's nice because now I know several families that have kids just above my kids sizes (for buying) and ones that are just below (for selling). It's also nice because it's linked to your facebook account so not the chance of as many scams or weirdos as craigslist.
__________________
Tracy

Wife to Eric. SAHM to Gray (6/08) and Seth (4/10)
Ducko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:03 PM   #18
Rdesonia's Avatar
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,099
My Mood:
Re: Ebay fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by evamyster88 View Post
I am the seller and the item has shown delivered since the 13th and my funds would be available on the 16th. I have not received payment and there is nothing pending in PayPal.
I'm not sure I'm understanding. Did they pay you? If they paid it would show up on paypal. I think you should call paypal to see if they can help you.
__________________
Sahm married to a wonderful man who does the dishes with DS 11/18/02 and DD 7/11/11

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:28 PM   #19
PoshPants
Registered
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,492
My Mood:
Re: Ebay fees

I sold something that I ended up with 40 cents, not worth printing and going to the post office!

they have fees on shipping now, so now I have to UP shipping and the people think I do it for ME to make a profit, ummm NO
__________________
IHA: books, fabric, lots of new baby clothes, toys
ISO: Amazon codes, Paypal or Gift Cards
PoshPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:17 PM   #20
jacandy's Avatar
jacandy
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoshPants
I sold something that I ended up with 40 cents, not worth printing and going to the post office!

they have fees on shipping now, so now I have to UP shipping and the people think I do it for ME to make a profit, ummm NO
Definitely not worth the hassle!
__________________
Amanda ~ Wife to J '09 & semi-crunchy, , SAHM to M '06 , L '10 , E '12 & R '13

http://www.iheartfrugality.com
jacandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.