Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-09-2013, 03:41 AM   #1
b bright
Registered Users
seller

Help me! Childrens wardrobe!

I have posted in here before I think when this forum first opened but didn't ever follow through with the advice. Now my house is SOOO out of hand! For now and the foreseeable future we live in a very small 2bd apartment with barely any room because of all the clutter. My kids clothes seem to be a big part of that. We go through so many loads of laundry that even doing a load a day still leaves us with a huge amount piled in the floor.

I have a 5 year old girl, twin 2 year old boys and a 7 month old boy. My daughters wardrobe is not so bad but my twins and the babies are terrible! I counted when I had all the laundry clean and they had 35 (!!!!) pairs of pants. Not even including the jeans. I'm talking about swishy pants and sweat pants and such. The jeans hanging up I think I saw maybe 15 pairs.... I think I may have more pants in plastic bins. T shirts I don't even want to count! That also doesn't include the many pajamas and undershirts they have.

The reason their wardrobe is so big is because they often go to my grandmas and my husbands moms house and their clothes get lost and stained easily so we went thrift shopping one day and bought a ton of old sweat pants and the like so if they get lost it was only a dollar here or 50c there, etc...but now we are running over with clothes and laundry because I often wait until there are NO clean clothes left to wash again.

We are also potty training right now and I think we have peeing down but they still poop in their pants so I dnt know if I need to keep extra on hand for that? We don't "need" dressy clothes but I keep a few pair around anyways for those times when it will come up randomly. But how do I keep a small wardrobe with nice clothes and play clothes? Should I just keep say ten pairs of sweat pants and if they get lost I should replace it then...instead of stocking up?

What about since they are twins? Would you suggest 10 pairs of pants for each kid (20 total) or maybe 15 pairs of pants total (7-8 per kid) since they wear the same size it doesn't necessarily mean I need 2 separate wardrobes right?

If you had twins could you give me an example of what your kids closet would look like...please? And what do I do about the clothes that come up missing? This summer we will most likely be in "wife beater" shirts all the time because it gets up to 100+ degrees.

Advertisement

Old 03-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
mimi57
Registered Users
seller

Re: Help me! Childrens wardrobe!

I have three of my kids in one room right now. The twins are 3 and my son is about to turn 2. They share a big dresser and a closet

Here is their closet. The twins are on the right and my son's clothes are on the left.

As for the dresser my son gets one large drawer with his pj's the twins have 1 large drawer with pjs, 2 small drawers with pj's, one small drawer with undies. Then there is one big drawer with shorts and one big drawer with jeans.

I try and keep it at 1 week of clothes per child since I do have three kids sharing one dresser and one closet. We however stay home most of the time so it isn't a big deal if we stay in our pj's all day because there are no clean jeans.
mimi57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #3
b bright
Registered Users
seller

Well I did it today! I went through and got rid of a lot!! I still have more than They need but I think I got rid of at least half of it. Plus I went through the toys and got rid of about a trash bag full. I hate having so much junk!!
Old 03-11-2013, 03:38 AM   #4
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

WTG! I'm about to head in to go through ODD's spring/summer clothes now that she's close enough to get an idea of what will fit... I am planning to take the majority to consignment and then take what's left and see how I can piece it with the more transitional pieces from her fall/winter stuff... My goal is a super easy mix and match wardrobe, but we'll see...

YDD is easier in the sense that she doesn't offer too much opinion yet (other than preferring pants to dresses and bright colors over muted ones). I have to pull her spring/summer stuff out of the shed though so that will have to wait...
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:02 AM   #5
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Great job!

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #6
meeshkasheeba
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We are pretty bad about this, but for summer, I only bought for the oldest and the youngest is getting hand me downs unless we see a need for something specific. Our oldest got 10 outfits for school/play and 4 for church/dress. We are using some "play quality" clothes for PJs. This has helped us keep from being entirely overloaded. I am much happier without so much clothing to keep up with. It will take a while to get the youngest down to a reasonable amount but we are getting there.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:54 AM   #7
meeshkasheeba
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We are pretty bad about this, but for summer, I only bought for the oldest and the youngest is getting hand me downs unless we see a need for something specific. Our oldest got 10 outfits for school/play and 4 for church/dress. We are using some "play quality" clothes for PJs. This has helped us keep from being entirely overloaded. I am much happier without so much clothing to keep up with. It will take a while to get the youngest down to a reasonable amount but we are getting there.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:03 AM   #8
dancnfool
Registered Users
seller

I think its hard too. But with kids at least the good thing is they outgrow stuff and it makes it easier to purge (my closet is scary and I don't even go in there - I just wear the same stuff over and over).

I usually start buying stuff ahead to take advantage of sales and end up with too much. Lately I've been trying not to buy anything until I go through and take pictures of everything I have. Hopefully then there will be less duplicates and things will match up into outfits better.
dancnfool is offline   Reply With Quote