Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-09-2013, 08:38 AM   #1
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Mt. Rushmore trip, thrifty?

We're hoping to go on a trip to Mt. Rushmore this summer. Problem is, all the camp sites we're finding in the area are $35-40 a night. At that price it's cheaper to get a hotel than take the truck and trailer. We have a very nice camp trailer and we love to camp but it's hard to justify the price of deisel if we can take the car and stay in a hotel for less. In my brain camping should be the thrifty option. It will be about a 10 hour drive for us. If we take the car and do hotels we won't be able to fit the dogs. But if we take the trailer we'll take them with. Anyone know of any cheaper camp sites in the area or something I'm overlooking?

Advertisement

slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #2
drabekgirl
Registered Users

Re: Mt. Rushmore trip, thrifty?

We stayed about an hour away from Mt. Rushmore when we went their at a state park. the price wasn't bad, but no campfires were allowed at that time. B/c we were so far from the tourist area it wasn't nearly as expensive, but we did have to use our generators b/c we didn't have hook-ups. Our trip to Mt Rushmore was a side trip on the way back from White Sulfur Springs MT though all in all our trip was 8 days and we stayed at 3 koas and 3 camp grounds as well as on the lake. It cost us about 1k in fuel at that time which was 3 years or more ago, and less than 500 for everything else as we brought our own food.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #3
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So what else is there to do there? My son really wants to see Mt. Rushmore, but it's not like we can spend 3 days staring at a mountain. We know fuel will be a little over $500. But we were hoping to keep everything else under $300 more. I don't count food as well have a full kitchen with us and we cook for ourselves because of dh's celiacs. Generator is no problem. Do you remember the name of where you stayed?
Old 03-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #4
Katie180
Registered Users
seller

There are tons of things to do in the area depending on your interests. Custer state park is beautiful. Keystone is a fun mining town. Reptile gardens. Wind cave. Horse back riding. Hiking. Bike trails. Crazy horse. 1880 train. Rapid city. There is an airplane museum on the Air Force base. Hmmm. Let's see. Evan's plunge hot springs. If you start googling black hills you will find a ton of things. Just don't go during the sturgis rally or there will be tons of bikers everywhere ( no offense to bikers, but there are so many more people during those 2 weeks in August)
Katie180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
Chefconnie
Registered Users
seller
seller

We stayed at Pactola Lake in South Dakota. $24.00 per night $168.00 per week RV non electric $2.00 per night for pets added.
The Wooly Mammoth site in Hot Springs was one of the coolest things we did. I also liked the carving of the Indian Chief area but I thought it was expensive to go see that.
Best vacation my family ever took and that was a very long time ago.
Chefconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:58 PM   #6
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
When are you planning on coming out? Dates matter a ton around here. Check Sheridan and Pactola lakes out for camping I can call around to. We also have Flintstone village, Dinosaur park, Crazy Horse. Among other stuff mentioned. I live out near the air base. I work near a fun waterslide park.

Alisha sent using my Samsung Galaxy II that thinks it is smarter then me.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:01 PM   #7
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie180 View Post
There are tons of things to do in the area depending on your interests. Custer state park is beautiful. Keystone is a fun mining town. Reptile gardens. Wind cave. Horse back riding. Hiking. Bike trails. Crazy horse. 1880 train. Rapid city. There is an airplane museum on the Air Force base. Hmmm. Let's see. Evan's plunge hot springs. If you start googling black hills you will find a ton of things. Just don't go during the sturgis rally or there will be tons of bikers everywhere ( no offense to bikers, but there are so many more people during those 2 weeks in August)
It isn't the bikers but the cost is 10x more usually. Though the population does quadruple those 2-3 weeks around it.

Alisha sent using my Samsung Galaxy II that thinks it is smarter then me.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #8
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I knew I could count on all of you for good info! We haven't really picked a date. We are super flexible on dates. Our work schedules in the summer are totally set by us. So we're pretty open.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:54 PM   #9
ericsmom99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
There is also a little drive thru zoo that has tons of bears (I cannot for the life of me remember the name though, you should be able to google it). It was pretty fun.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:30 PM   #10
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Awesome ladies, keep em coming! We used to love to hike, but dh has MS so hiking is out now. That's all we used to do, camp and hike. So now I need other ideas to have fun. So I'm thrilled with these, I get stumped easily. We will be taking our 4wheeler (or as we call it, my husband's pasture Jazee-he uses it to get around the pasture since he has trouble walking now) so if you know of any good places to go 4wheeling, we'd love to do that too!