Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-10-2013, 12:35 AM   #11
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller

My Mood:
Re: Mt. Rushmore trip, thrifty?

If you are coming in from the south, there is the Badlands that are really fun to see. Also, there is some little town on the way in that is really famous with a cute little general store and ice cream parlor.....but the name escapes me right now. I will think on it and see if I can remember. We also went to Wounded Knee. We stayed on the base. This was right after DH got back from Iraq the last time.....I think I got pregnant with Eva on that trip

If you did get a hotel, would you have to board the dogs? Would that expense make the camping more cost efficient?

Advertisement

Last edited by bluecandi; 03-10-2013 at 12:39 AM.
bluecandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:42 AM   #12
crowbabies
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimy72
So what else is there to do there? My son really wants to see Mt. Rushmore, but it's not like we can spend 3 days staring at a mountain. We know fuel will be a little over $500. But we were hoping to keep everything else under $300 more. I don't count food as well have a full kitchen with us and we cook for ourselves because of dh's celiacs. Generator is no problem. Do you remember the name of where you stayed?
There is the Crazy Horse monument, caves, drive through animal park, ext. Tons of stuff to do plus all the fun touristy stuff. We actually went to the monument twice. There is a lot to see just at Mt. Rushmore. Two years ago DH and I went ( no kids yet) for around $1100. That was driving a Corolla and staying in $50 hotels with free breakfast. We also packed most of our other food and only ate out at specific restaurants we wanted to experience. And that $1100 was from Chicago through Minneapolis and then to Mr Rushmore on a week long road trip.
crowbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #13
drabekgirl
Registered Users

If you're up for some more driving the 1880s town is fun to see but its further down 90 as is the auto museum (it has a scavenger hunt for the kids). there is lots to see in that area. We found ourselves driving through Custer park for hours. Check out SD state parks for more info on the state parks for staying at most are $14/18 per night.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #14
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We've decided we want to stay at a National Forest camp site. They are much cheaper and dh can get a pass for his disability for it to be cheaper- half price. That means the camp sites that are $14 a night would only be $7, that's the kind of thing we're looking for. So he needs to get that done- he put it on his list to do tomorrow to call his DR and get the letter and apply for the pass so we can get his card. Which brings me to my next question, which National Forest would you stay in? I've never been to SD (well not since I was 8) so we have no clue which camp ground would be good. Any suggestions?
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #15
Katie180
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecandi
If you are coming in from the south, there is the Badlands that are really fun to see. Also, there is some little town on the way in that is really famous with a cute little general store and ice cream parlor.....
It is Wall Drug
Katie180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #16
Katie180
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsmom99
There is also a little drive thru zoo that has tons of bears (I cannot for the life of me remember the name though, you should be able to google it). It was pretty fun.
This is Bear country
Katie180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:31 AM   #17
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie180 View Post

It is Wall Drug
YES! Thats it!! Thanks!!!
Old 03-12-2013, 02:51 PM   #18
ericsmom99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
It is Wall Drug
My kids loved Wall Drug! We got a magnet and everytime they notice it on the fridge they tell me they want to go there again!

Quote:
This is Bear country
Yep, thats it!!
Old 03-12-2013, 03:20 PM   #19
TobinsTreasures
Registered Users
Formerly: Kelsey***3
seller
seller

My Mood:

When we went two summers ago, it was free admission before 8 in the morning (and the prettiest IMO because you can see the sunrise and avoid crowds of people) and we stayed overnight at a state park area about a half a mile away on the same road going into the park. The trooper at Mt Rushmore suggested it to us. No fires, squat toilet, but all we needed was a place to park. Free, first come first serve. This was the night before Sturgis Rally so there were other people in the area and we got a spot no problem. Hope this helps enjoy it is so beautiful!
Old 03-12-2013, 03:21 PM   #20
TobinsTreasures
Registered Users
Formerly: Kelsey***3
seller
seller

My Mood:

Second on going to Wall Drug!