Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
Mysweetseven
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Anyone Downsizing to Move??

We are planning on placing our house on the market May 1st. I am completely overwhelmed at the task ahead of me. Downsizing, packing, cleaning, painting, staging....and trying to fit it all in with life in general.

I am wondering if anyone else is interested in subbing and supporting each other, possibly posting pictures occasionally for inspiration, ideas, help?

Advertisement

Mysweetseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
mimi57
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anyone Downsizing to Move??

Good luck! I would just start in one room and do a bit as you go. I am working on our master bedroom right now and I am doing 10-15min at a time as I can.
mimi57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #3
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
My Mood:

We are preparing for a cross country move on the first of June, to CA.!
I was about to post on here for links to moving check lists. I spent yesterday going through homeschool stuff, books and cloth diapers. Last weekend I went through the toys.
I know that I will be going through them again before we leave. Right now I'm gleaning what we can sell, and ditch stuff that is beyond it's life span.
rumblepurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
Mysweetseven
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumblepurr View Post
We are preparing for a cross country move on the first of June, to CA.!
I was about to post on here for links to moving check lists. I spent yesterday going through homeschool stuff, books and cloth diapers. Last weekend I went through the toys.
I know that I will be going through them again before we leave. Right now I'm gleaning what we can sell, and ditch stuff that is beyond it's life span.
My homeschool stuff is one area that I"m having problems with, one minute I think sell it all.....save the money and use it to buy more later.....next day I think save it all, it costs to much to replace...lol. I'm all over the place in that area for sure.

Moving from Ohio to California....wow, what a change!!
Old 03-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #5
Mysweetseven
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi57 View Post
Good luck! I would just start in one room and do a bit as you go. I am working on our master bedroom right now and I am doing 10-15min at a time as I can.
Great idea mama....
Old 03-09-2013, 06:05 PM   #6
Mysweetseven
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

So far (in the last 3 days) I've filled the suburban with donations to Goodwill and dropped them off, had a dumpster delivered and have tossed 11 garbage bags and an old pressboard type nightstand in it. I have one more box ready to go to donations as well.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:14 PM   #7
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm not normally in this group/forum but saw the title of the post.

Our home went up for sale early January, under contract and now moving in 3.5 weeks.

We did a ton of decluttering all last year and the year before. But getting the house on the market we did a bit more. But also put stuff away so my linen closet(which is pretty small btw) I went through and took out all the guest towels,sheets, our spare sheets, blankets we use for camping etc. That way the linen closet looked more sparse/roomy vs full with not a lot of room.

Same with kids toys, kitchen etc.

I'm currently packing for the move, trying to do 5 boxes a day. It's kinda shocking how much stuff you have when you have to pack it. I knew my older boys have tons of clothes(90% gifts or hand me downs.....I only by underwear, socks, shoes, pjs.....pairs of jeans for ods). Yesterday I packed a box from their closet of off season stuff that they can do without for the next month. The closet still looked full afterwards. Hard as they have so many nice clothes so not even like getting rid of the crappy stuff.

Then on the other hand the stuff I have packed away I find I'm looking for saying....where is xyz? Annoying, esp all the baking pans and dishes.

But we are also giving/leaving furniture behind that we know won't be used in the new home. But then the garage is huge/twice ours so that's bad as we know we will fit all our "stuff" in the garage, so that is harder to downsize.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #8
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Our goodwill is 5 mins away so it's great to donate stuff easily. Love the drive up drop off, really makes it much easier.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #9
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh the staging/painting stuff.

We repainted the family room as it was bad from the kids, got rid of almost all the toys except those that were in baskets in a expedit.

Took down all photo's from downstairs as per realtor, upstairs were left.

We touched up a lot like doors(we have white trim), some trim.....this took us a good week. Also a few bits of the kids room.

Took out some furniture....we had a huge entertainment center I hated, so got rid of that, room looked much bigger. Moved our mud rack to the garage...again looked bigger. Honestly my house looked a lot more sparse but I suppose you want people to envision themselves in the house. All appliances off the kitchen counters except the keurig.

My house sold/bid on in 5 days and we had another person want to come back for a second look so I think our work paid off! I think the market is picking up as another home down the street that actually looks similar to ours( I suppose contempory sp?? style) is also under contract and went up about a month ago.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:30 PM   #10
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysweetseven View Post
My homeschool stuff is one area that I"m having problems with, one minute I think sell it all.....save the money and use it to buy more later.....next day I think save it all, it costs to much to replace...lol. I'm all over the place in that area for sure.

Moving from Ohio to California....wow, what a change!!
Yes, and it will be a nice change! I've missed the ocean so much. It will be moving home for DH . He moved to Alaska from CA. so I could finish school, as I was only 1 yr from my BS. We lived there for another 9 yrs, and he decide to continue on to Law school. He got a scholarship to ONU, and we moved to Ohio for the next 3 yrs. He graduates this spring . Most of his family lives around Carpenteria, so that's where we're headed.

The home school stuff is really hard. I had to sell most of it when we moved down from AK and I don't want to repeat that, but curriculum and the book collection accumulates so fast! This time I'm removing just the extra's that I'm not fond of, and stuff we are not currently using and keeping the rest. Books pack so nicely.

I'm leaving out quite a bit, since we are planning on schooling right up to 3 weeks before the move, and then breaking until after we have settled in and doing a summer session in July. DH has finals then, so I will be prepping for his family coming for grad. and packing for moving at the same time. I know the combination of moving and hosting at that late date is going to drive me over the edge let alone teaching!

My big drama is going to be the sewing room and office ... I adore fabrics and sew all the time, so I have a big stash. DH is minimalist about everything but paper and saves every little piece. So picture the two of us hemming and hawing over every little scrap we have!
rumblepurr is online now   Reply With Quote