Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #11
Mysweetseven
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,705
My Mood:
Re: Anyone Downsizing to Move??

We choose May 1st as we are having DS's graduation party at our house the following week, I may need to move listing to the the following week but I'm really hoping not too.

My goal (I can remember if I posted this earlier) is to toss/donate as least as much as I save.

So far today I've gotten rid of another 3 trash bags. I wish our Goodwill was closer, its about 35 miles away.

We do have a Salvation Army close but I am floored by their prices....I went in when they had their grand opening and everything was crazy priced, $900 for a couch, $125 for an end table, $75 for an old crappy dresser....

Advertisement

Mysweetseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #12
rumblepurr's Avatar
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
Posts: 2,324
My Mood:
Re: Anyone Downsizing to Move??

Good job with the bags! I've noticed that about Salvation army . I'm going to take mine to St. Vincent Du Paul or Restore, the last is most likely since it's less than a mile away LOL. They both have incredibly low prices!

Today I'm going to tackle my sewing room. The real issue is not getting distracted into a project or "quick fix" which usually stymies my progress! I love your idea about tossing/donating as much as I save. I'm limiting myself to 4 totes of fabric, 2 of crafting supplies/yarn. Sadly that is not half, more like 3/4th's, but it's a start! If I can do that, by the time May rolls around I should be down to only 4 totes total. I have 3 projects in the works, that don't take much time, but use a lot of fabric.

DH and I were talking about getting some pallets for the garage and marking out the space of a moving truck, packing things up and setting them up out there. That would give us a good idea about what the space looked like and how we were going to pack it up and free up space inside the house for visiting family. Plus, it will be easier on moving day since the truck can be pulled right up to the stack and we wouldn't have to do a million stairs and worry about our Autistic DS escaping out the door.
__________________
Amber: Mama of 4 DS's; 10/2002 10/2005 8/2007 1/2010
and 1 DD 11/20/13 ************. Married to J .
Extra crunchy, night , book loving, sewing enthusiast.
rumblepurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:31 PM   #13
Mysweetseven
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,705
My Mood:
Re: Anyone Downsizing to Move??

I love the idea of the pallets!! That way it ensures everything will fit and would def be a safer alternative with your DS.

My initial plan was to pack and store the boxes and totes in our store room in the basement---I wasn't thinking to we'll as that is the room that stores all of my crafts and our homeschool stuff--it's plenty full with shelves most of the way around the room....???? It is really the best place esp with showing the house it just means I have to tackle those items sooner rather than later.
Mysweetseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #14
mamatoblessings's Avatar
mamatoblessings
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Back in ALASKA!
Posts: 4,023
My Mood:
Re: Anyone Downsizing to Move??

I'll join! We are putting our household items in storage for about 6 months while we drive to Alaska for DHs work and then come back here in October. At that point we hope to have decided if we are staying here in So Utah or moving somewhere else. I've already taken about 6-8 trash bags full of stuff to the TS, I don't know that I have much more to declutter, but in April I will start going room to room deep cleaning so the house is clean for the next renters. We've moved about every year for the last 3-4 years, so we don't really gather TOO much stuff that we don't use. If we ever do stay somewhere for longer than a couple of years I'm going to have to pack up the whole house every once in a while just to get the decluttering done that I usually do when we move. LOL!!
__________________
Elizabeth~ Jesus loving wife to myNathan, Mama to God's blessings Jayna-11, Quaid-9, Roanen-7, Avelyn Faith-5, Conlan-2 and 2 precious ones, Victory (10-2010) and Treasure (4-2013), in the arms of Jesus. Expecting a little rainbow blessing late Aug/early Sep Doing a lot of this to get ready! My ISO/IHA
mamatoblessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #15
Mysweetseven
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,705
My Mood:
Re: Anyone Downsizing to Move??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatoblessings View Post
I'll join! We are putting our household items in storage for about 6 months while we drive to Alaska for DHs work and then come back here in October. At that point we hope to have decided if we are staying here in So Utah or moving somewhere else. I've already taken about 6-8 trash bags full of stuff to the TS, I don't know that I have much more to declutter, but in April I will start going room to room deep cleaning so the house is clean for the next renters. We've moved about every year for the last 3-4 years, so we don't really gather TOO much stuff that we don't use. If we ever do stay somewhere for longer than a couple of years I'm going to have to pack up the whole house every once in a while just to get the decluttering done that I usually do when we move. LOL!!
LOL~~That's funny. Welcome to the thread.

Alaska is on my list of places to visit, I tried to talk my parents into letting me go to college in Alaska--I have always dreamed of going there
Mysweetseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #16
rumblepurr's Avatar
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
Posts: 2,324
My Mood:
Re: Anyone Downsizing to Move??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatoblessings View Post
I'll join! We are putting our household items in storage for about 6 months while we drive to Alaska for DHs work and then come back here in October. At that point we hope to have decided if we are staying here in So Utah or moving somewhere else. I've already taken about 6-8 trash bags full of stuff to the TS, I don't know that I have much more to declutter, but in April I will start going room to room deep cleaning so the house is clean for the next renters. We've moved about every year for the last 3-4 years, so we don't really gather TOO much stuff that we don't use. If we ever do stay somewhere for longer than a couple of years I'm going to have to pack up the whole house every once in a while just to get the decluttering done that I usually do when we move. LOL!!
Stop by Laird hot springs for a break in the trip! Nice and rustic, with a long board walk over the hot springs marsh to the actual spring. Kids loved looking over the edge at all the little fish. We went by in mid Aug. and stayed for a few hours to take a break from driving. It was beautiful!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liard_R...rovincial_Park
__________________
Amber: Mama of 4 DS's; 10/2002 10/2005 8/2007 1/2010
and 1 DD 11/20/13 ************. Married to J .
Extra crunchy, night , book loving, sewing enthusiast.
rumblepurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:56 PM   #17
SamanthaSews's Avatar
SamanthaSews
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,996
My Mood:
Oh didn't read the thread, but I am in the process of de-cluttering to put the house on the market Apr. 1st! We are meeting with the realtor Mar. 25! This weekend I am a cleaning machine! Next week ds is going to my parents so DH & I can paint- mostly touch ups.

So far I've got the kitchen cabinets & countertops wiped down. Wiped down the walls too! And de-cluttered. Although all the clutter has been moved to the kitchen table. Going to get that boxed up or put in the donate pile tonight.

Right now I'm scrubbing the fireplace brick (taking a break) and then going to dust & vacuum. Got the personal pictures cleared off. Then going to stage it a bit.

Also got the bathroom deep cleaned. And most of the windows.

Magic Eraser is my friend!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
__________________
Samantha, SAHM to Caden (12-24-10), Wife to DH, and blogger at Stir the Wonder
SamanthaSews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #18
mamatoblessings's Avatar
mamatoblessings
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Back in ALASKA!
Posts: 4,023
My Mood:
Re: Anyone Downsizing to Move??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysweetseven View Post
LOL~~That's funny. Welcome to the thread.

Alaska is on my list of places to visit, I tried to talk my parents into letting me go to college in Alaska--I have always dreamed of going there
Eh, I'm over Alaska. lol I could probably be happy to never go there again, but for now, it's where DH makes most of his money for the year, so up the highway we go. We lived there for 5 years and it's okay, but not somewhere I really want to go honestly. I always tell people it's a nice place to visit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumblepurr View Post
Stop by Laird hot springs for a break in the trip! Nice and rustic, with a long board walk over the hot springs marsh to the actual spring. Kids loved looking over the edge at all the little fish. We went by in mid Aug. and stayed for a few hours to take a break from driving. It was beautiful!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liard_R...rovincial_Park
We were going to stop there last year on our way back out, but we ended up driving 45 hours straight to get to DHs parents house and only stopped there at a little cafe for me to get some coffee. Maybe this year!
__________________
Elizabeth~ Jesus loving wife to myNathan, Mama to God's blessings Jayna-11, Quaid-9, Roanen-7, Avelyn Faith-5, Conlan-2 and 2 precious ones, Victory (10-2010) and Treasure (4-2013), in the arms of Jesus. Expecting a little rainbow blessing late Aug/early Sep Doing a lot of this to get ready! My ISO/IHA
mamatoblessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #19
mamatoblessings's Avatar
mamatoblessings
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Back in ALASKA!
Posts: 4,023
My Mood:
Re: Anyone Downsizing to Move??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaSews View Post
Oh didn't read the thread, but I am in the process of de-cluttering to put the house on the market Apr. 1st! We are meeting with the realtor Mar. 25! This weekend I am a cleaning machine! Next week ds is going to my parents so DH & I can paint- mostly touch ups.

So far I've got the kitchen cabinets & countertops wiped down. Wiped down the walls too! And de-cluttered. Although all the clutter has been moved to the kitchen table. Going to get that boxed up or put in the donate pile tonight.

Right now I'm scrubbing the fireplace brick (taking a break) and then going to dust & vacuum. Got the personal pictures cleared off. Then going to stage it a bit.

Also got the bathroom deep cleaned. And most of the windows.

Magic Eraser is my friend!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
I totally agree on the Magic Erasers, though they do creep me out a bit that they can clean things up so well, I have to wonder what's actually in them.
__________________
Elizabeth~ Jesus loving wife to myNathan, Mama to God's blessings Jayna-11, Quaid-9, Roanen-7, Avelyn Faith-5, Conlan-2 and 2 precious ones, Victory (10-2010) and Treasure (4-2013), in the arms of Jesus. Expecting a little rainbow blessing late Aug/early Sep Doing a lot of this to get ready! My ISO/IHA
mamatoblessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #20
rumblepurr's Avatar
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
Posts: 2,324
My Mood:
Re: Anyone Downsizing to Move??

YES, I want to know what kind of "Magic" is in those things too! They work on almost everything and that just seems wrong somehow...
__________________
Amber: Mama of 4 DS's; 10/2002 10/2005 8/2007 1/2010
and 1 DD 11/20/13 ************. Married to J .
Extra crunchy, night , book loving, sewing enthusiast.
rumblepurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.