Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-14-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
wickedpanda
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
VBAC Hopeful

Not much of a long story to tell, but DS was born via scheduled c-section due to breech presentation. He was head down until about 35 weeks when he was head up against my ribs and stayed that way. Doctor wasn't one that did the turning so at 38 weeks 5 days my son was born. We are no expecting our second due August 31st. I'm hopeful that I will be able to have a VBAC this time around. So far the doctor and my FNP are on board, just hope they don't change their tune near the end. Hubby is also on board, says he will support whatever decision I make and is open to reading the research so he can be my advocate should I need it. He's the more outspoken one so I love that he is being so supportive. I feel like I should be doing something to prepare my body but not sure what I can do. I've read about red raspberry leaf tea to help tone the uterus and evening primrose oil near the end to help prepare the cervix, but past that I'm not sure what else I can be doing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

wickedpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:18 PM   #2
lindsaydud
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: VBAC Hopeful

Hi wickedpanda! I just had an unexpected c-section at the end of January so I feel your pain...I don't have any words of advice for you, other than to see if you have a local ICAN (International Cesarean Awareness Network) chapter in your area. I think they have a lot of resources re: VBAC.

http://www.ican-online.org/
lindsaydud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:47 PM   #3
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I did a VBAC without preparing my body. Based on your circumstances the only thing I would be keeping on eye on is fetal position, and maybe see a chiropractor for the Webster technique or do exercises from spinningbabies.com if needed.
mibarra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #4
Abbaloosa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My first was breech as well, 2nd repeat c/s because I didn't know better. 3rd was uneventful unmedicated VBA2C. I did red raspberry leaf capsules and evening primrose oil. Also sat on the exercise ball a lot and tried to stay active. His birth really could not have gone better. Also try to avoid interventions if possible. My dr. wasn't exactly supportive but my husband was. We stayed home as long as we dared and spent 2 hrs in the hospital before he was born.
Abbaloosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:51 AM   #5
wickedpanda
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you ladies for your kind words. I've looked at ICAN and unfortunately we don't have a chapter here, I contacted the regional one and they referred me to the director for the nearest metroplex area but she had nothing helpful for me in regards to doctors and whatnot so I had to find that out on my own. I can't afford a chiropractor so I will just be doing spinningbabies and trying to stay active. I'm a bigger woman so I'm hoping that doesn't put a damper on my VBAC plans. The hospital I'm going to only does about 25 VBACs a year so their stats aren't great, but hoping I can be one of those successes. The goal is unmedicated with little to no intervention, so your post gives me hope Abbaloosa.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:03 PM   #6
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A doula might be a good idea for helping you through labour and to advocate for you at the hospital. An experienced one would be best, I think, but if you're really tight for cash, then you could look for a student - they need to attend a certain number of births before they are certified and often do it for free or very little.

All the best!
Old 03-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #7
BlissfulMoM
Registered Users

Having a woman present who has given birth vaginally can cut your chance of c/s by half! For my first vba2c I had a great friend who had also had a vbac as a labor support person. For my second, I hired a doula since we were in a new state and didn't have anyone I felt comfortable with yet. By my third, I felt pretty confident and DH and I went it alone, but I had more complications during that labor. I am a firm believer that women need women during labor, and esp during a vbac.

Stay active and change positions a lot during labor and be willing to try something new. When my labor stalled during vbac#1 - the nurse suggested I try laying down on my left side. I had been walking and rocking and sitting up in bed, anything but laying down. Go figure, laying down is what worked. He was born 45 minutes later. With vbac#3 I had tried everything and was trying the left side thing too and no go. I suddenly told DH to help me sit in the lotus position in bed. Within 15 minutes I was complete! Trust yourself...and be open. Good luck! You can do it!
BlissfulMoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:35 PM   #8
cinderella08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Good luck!! I definitely suggest a doula - you can often find one at reduced fee or even free who is needing to do her certifying births.
Expecting Oakley Lennon in March 2015!
cinderella08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #9
wickedpanda
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Unfortunately all of my mama friends in town have had to have c-sections as well. Any idea how I can locate student/training doula in my area? I would love to have one if my mom can't make it out here for the delivery.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:49 AM   #10
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Google might find you a doula group practice in your area who could connect you with a student, or check the yellow pages, even. If there's a midwifery practice in your town or nearby, they might be able to give you some names as well.