Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-09-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

What kind of minimalist are you?

I don't post in here often, but I do read a lot of threads and occasionally post here or there. I just dont "feel" minimalist yet, so i dont feel like i should be allowed here yet lol. But, I've been striving towards minimalism for the past year or so. I've been driving my hoarding husband crazy with all my purges... he's worse than a child, though. "We may need it one day, you can't get rid of it!!" Lol. He always wants me to keep things "just in case," (like, when we were dating, he would always shove napkins, straws, salt and pepper and ketchup packets in my purse "just in case"-- like I'm suddenly going to have the urge to drink ketchup through a straw or something?? Idk, but he puts the stereotype of old ladies in restaurants to shame and he is worse now about anything and everything, and its not a wasteful/environmental standpoint, its just he really fights to throw anything away :/). But, I'm getting there. I minimized my and DHs clothes, the kitchen, the books/dvds, and the kids clothes. Toys are my agenda once we get our household goods, I've purged them 2-3 times but not totally done yet. Then the hard stuff. "Memories" and sentimental items....

I've noticed there seems to be different minimalist camps. There are those who like to get by with as little as possible in the smallest space possible, like (made up example) the 6 person family in a 500sq ft house with amazing multipurpose storage solutions. And there are those who like big empty-ish rooms just free of unnecessary items or chaos. Both sides seem to come together with a goal of simplicity, but with different journeys and different destinations to that simplicity.

It took a year, but I have discovered that I am definitely a part of the big empty room group I have serious respect for those who choose to live in small spaces. I have been in small spaces with my family now for about 6 weeks and I'm going crazy. Don't get me wrong, I love my DH and kids with all my heart. But omg, I need a break. I feel like they are just always THERE, ya know? We have, idk, 400 sq ft right now? A small living room, 1 bed room, a bathroom, and a joke of a kitchenette. (What's sad is that this feels spacious compared to the last TLF, which was a hotel room with a counter that had a small stove-no oven- and sink). It's "enough" as in we all have a place to sleep, eat, and I can do most surviving basics, but I could not do this all day every day without losing a piece of my sanity. Lol. I've seen the floor plans of small houses and thought it wasn't too bad, but now i say, nope. Not for me. Haha. Size is a huge factor is the homes I'm looking at. Lol. Not hatin' on the small house-ers (you are the BEST inspiration for storage ideas!), but not for me if I can avoid it!

Advertisement

~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
mimi57
Registered Users
seller

Re: What kind of minimalist are you?

I lived in a tiny tiny house when I was in my early 20's. It had two rooms and could fit in the living room of the house we have now. I loved that house *sigh* Then comes marriage and all HIS stuff...and then the first kid...and the second....and the third....and the forth....and the fifth....and the sixth....Now I am a big open space person with no clutter. Clutter makes my skin crawl *shudder*
mimi57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
mimi57
Registered Users
seller

Oh and TLF with kids is brutal, my least favorite part of a PCS for sure!
mimi57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
I_am_Blessed
Registered Users
Formerly: Beth's_Mommy
seller
seller

Right now, our home is provided for, and it's 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, large living room, dining room, kitchen, and small laundry area. It feels huge to me (DH says it's under 1500 sq ft.) but most of our rooms feel empty. I love how it looks, but many days I miss the tiny house we moved from when DS1 was 9 months old. It had 2 bedrooms, 1 bath, living room and kitchen. The only thing I didn't like about that house was the clothes washer was in the kitchen and the dryer was in the bathroom. I like having very simple/few items, but also like a smaller space (it feels like less upkeep, and therefore less time/work keeping it up.

Mama to 3, soon-to-be-4

I_am_Blessed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:06 PM   #5
NewMommy6111
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The thing I love about a small house is not having so much to clean.
We have 700-ish sq. ft. & one one child. I think it's way too big, but DS does love to run around the huge living room. I'd love a studio apartment for us at this stage in life, but that's not in the cards.
We aren't "there" yet as far as minimalism, but my philosophy is that you shouldn't have things that you don't use. (Excluding a very small amount of sentimental items I have stored elsewhere and dwindling down to nothing).
Just keep at it. Just this time in a small space to consider what you actually need and what is excess. I think the "empty spaces" group has labeled the "small homes" group as getting by on as little as possible. I don't think that's the goal. I think there is just a different perspective on what you actually need.
NewMommy6111 is offline   Reply With Quote