Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-10-2013, 10:17 AM   #1
bakerbottoms
Registered Users
seller

Unhappy homeschool to private or public??

anyone every need a break & put kids in "normal" school?? We've had a hard first year of homeschool. My son is 6 who is ADHD & in kindergarten, my daughter is 5 & did kindergarten to when I could get her to do it. I'm not a stick to a routine or schedule type person (I'm ADD my self) so getting school done seems impossible. Not to mention I have two little ones too that need my attention. My SIL is so rude to me about it, that they need to go to school & I'm not teaching them what they need to know etc. My mom tells me they dont have enough structure & she will pay for them to go to a private Christian school. I feel like a total failure!! Everyday is random chaos which drives them & me crazy. Ive been battling depression since my daughter was born. My house is always a mess, I'm a mess & the kids are a mess. By the time my husband get home I have nothing left which has put a strain on our marriage. I love homeschool & the idea of it but I dont think I'm cut out for it. I dont know if I should wait till the babies aren't babies anymore so it would be easier. On top of this we are planning on moving out of state in 6 months to a year to help start a church. Sorry for going on & on just need to guidance & encouragement.

Advertisement

~ Albert Einstein
bakerbottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: homeschool to private or public??

I think if you are having a hard time with homeschooling it is probably being felt by your kids. As a teacher, I know that in the days I was very disorganized and had no plan were the days where my kids went crazy and learned next to nothing in the classroom.

If your mom is offering to pay for a private Christian school and you find one you like, I think your kids will benefit from it. Although depending on how sever your sons ADHD is the Christian school might not have the resources to help him.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
tink90
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

How do you feel about unschooling? It may be a better fit for your family....

*.~.~.*Petalheads*.~.~.*
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1484149
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Petal...61515813886015
tink90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:54 PM   #4
lehcar_27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i personally would disregard what your family is telling you....pray about what God would have you do.....please remember your children are VERY young....it is okay to not have lots of structure.....it is okay if they are learning from LIFE not a book....cook with them, read with them, swim with them, ride bikes together, go to the park, count rocks, trees, animals, or whatever else you find outside.....play games together.....spend time together having fun dont stress so much about 'school'
Old 03-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #5
jengojengo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We went from homeschool to public, and have had a good experience. We stay very involved in the school and our kids classes.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #6
7mom7
Registered Users

I don't think I could do it with that many kids. We've purposefully kept our family small for now because DH and I are not the type of people that handle stress or chaos well. I don't know if I'd put them in now just to pull them out in 6 months or so. Depending on where you are going you may have more resources available. I'd consider putting your littles in a preschool program to have more time with your older children. I know a lot of larger families that have done this a couple days a week and it works well for them. In our area 2 or 3 days of preschool for 5 hours a day is pretty affordable. Also, depending on where you are moving you could check into a university model school. We have several options where we live that would allow our kids to go to school for 2 days a week and we would homeschool the other days. We are in a program called Classical Conversations which is 1 day a week for a 1/2 day and most CC groups have the option to put your littles in the nursery for free or very cheap. Then you'd only have to teach math, reading, and handwriting on your own.

I know sometimes DH has much more clarity on these things than I do so I'd probably let him lead a big decision like this and I'd be doing A LOT of praying! I'm sorry you're dealing with depression, that's tough and I can totally understand the need for a break.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:54 PM   #7
bakerbottoms
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mom7
I don't think I could do it with that many kids. We've purposefully kept our family small for now because DH and I are not the type of people that handle stress or chaos well. I don't know if I'd put them in now just to pull them out in 6 months or so. Depending on where you are going you may have more resources available. I'd consider putting your littles in a preschool program to have more time with your older children. I know a lot of larger families that have done this a couple days a week and it works well for them. In our area 2 or 3 days of preschool for 5 hours a day is pretty affordable. Also, depending on where you are moving you could check into a university model school. We have several options where we live that would allow our kids to go to school for 2 days a week and we would homeschool the other days. We are in a program called Classical Conversations which is 1 day a week for a 1/2 day and most CC groups have the option to put your littles in the nursery for free or very cheap. Then you'd only have to teach math, reading, and handwriting on your own.

I know sometimes DH has much more clarity on these things than I do so I'd probably let him lead a big decision like this and I'd be doing A LOT of praying! I'm sorry you're dealing with depression, that's tough and I can totally understand the need for a break.
Thank you for all the ideas! We are in Louisiana & are moving to Orlando, Fl. My friend does CC & really likes it. I'll have to look into it.
~ Albert Einstein
bakerbottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:59 PM   #8
blondeviolin
Registered Users
seller
seller

The first thing I'd look into doing would to get your depression treated. Postpartum depression is a real thing and it is probably inhibiting your ability to cope. :hug: Reevaluate after that's dealt with a bit!
Old 03-10-2013, 08:44 PM   #9
mommy2abigail
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Look me up in Orlando! Come join our hs group, have a play at the park day, and let us love on you for a while. Your kids are so very little. You are right in the trenches. And it would be hard no matter what school option you chose, parenting lots of littles is just plain hard and overwhelming. Pm me if you want to chat more.
mommy2abigail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:55 PM   #10
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehcar_27 View Post
i personally would disregard what your family is telling you....pray about what God would have you do.....please remember your children are VERY young....it is okay to not have lots of structure.....it is okay if they are learning from LIFE not a book....cook with them, read with them, swim with them, ride bikes together, go to the park, count rocks, trees, animals, or whatever else you find outside.....play games together.....spend time together having fun dont stress so much about 'school'
This. Although, if you are feeling overwhelmed with kindergarten then the problem probably isn't schoolwork at all. Taking care of any number of small children while dealing with depression is difficult so I would find a way to fix that first. I am not opposed to medication for PPD or even generalized depression, if your life and the life of your children is being affected by it then get help. And if you really want to keep them home then do, don't listen to negative family.