Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-11-2013, 09:18 PM   #51
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: August 2013 Weekly Chat ~ March 10-16

I haven't caught up yet. Just got home after almost 7hr on the road, but it was actually a really quick and pleasant trip. I gave DS the iPod and DD the iPad. So bad.

My car started making awesome noises in the suspension on the way home. Commandeering my parents' 1994 GMC van may happen sooner rather than later. It is a really nice conversion van with leather interior and a vcr w/ headphone jacks etc. I just need to figure out if car seats will install in it properly and how much it would cost to upgrade the stereo and maybe install a DVD player... I think that not having a second car payment would be worth the extra gas cost, and I could still take DH's little car to the grocery store etc.

Advertisement

Last edited by AmberP; 03-11-2013 at 09:22 PM.
AmberP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:19 PM   #52
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Katie, that is fantastic!!! =D
Old 03-11-2013, 09:26 PM   #53
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

glad to have you back safe and sound Amber the van sounds like fun! DH's dream is to have a conversion van
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:32 PM   #54
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs View Post
Tris can't you talk to your lease holder and see if they can help you out some way? That really stinks to be in that position! Have you posted on the carseat board to see how seats puzzle and see if you have a small bucket you may be able to fit in the middle? Or is your car like a Cooper Mini where it really only has 2 seats in the back?
Normally a lease will let you out early if you release or purchase, but we won't get approved because of our financials. It's a Kia Soul, I've googled it to death but I don't think it's happening. I should post on the carseat board, see if they can come up with anything.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:34 PM   #55
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Tris- Try 2x Radians and a bucket if you have 3 seat belts in the back. I didn't think I could get 3 across in my saturn either, but I can.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:57 AM   #56
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I also wanted to update -
Dad seems to be doing a LOT better after the transfusion. They gave him 3 units =S . He took pain meds the first day he was home and I totally thought he was dying. Turns out, he was over-drugged and super drowsy. The next day he woke up and said, "I'm not taking those anymore," and got out a bottle of tylenol instead. His appetite returned and he is eating 2-3 meals a day and chasing them with candy bars, milk shakes and nutrition drinks. I am not getting my hopes up for a good prognosis, but he is acting like he has a bit more oomph in him at this point. Eating is a little difficult, however, because he apparently had a stroke sometime last week and his bottom lip and jaw are somewhat numb and weak on one side, so his dentures don't stay put and he can't chew anything that isn't pretty soft.

I almost died laughing the other night because we tore the house apart looking for his dentures after he took a nap (the day he was drugged) and they were in his mouth, but he couldn't feel them. It was pretty awesome. I wish I could say that it was an isolated incident, but my mom swears that it has happened before this mess a few times too.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:57 AM   #57
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn97 View Post
That is definitely a consideration. Towing anything is harder on the vehicle, transmissions and brake pads in particular, even if the trailer is within the van's tow limits. DH regularly tows a trailer with one of his work trucks and the maintenance has been much higher for it due to increased weight/use, including having the transmission rebuilt after about 80k miles (the truck gets driven without a trailer too). An occasional weekend would obviously be much less wear and tear but it is a consideration.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Yeah I have looked at that too. That is why I like the little teardrop trailers. Though that may mean that this baby is my last. We will have to see.

KatieB621 - I am also not on any due date groups on Facebook. I am a fairly private person when it comes to getting to know our last name (blog shows that I am not THAT private ) so that is why I am not there.

Have you thought about side car-ing a crib? We have the worlds smallest bedroom... well maybe not but it is TINY! http://www.ourunplannedlife.com/2012...rries-max.html This shows our bed. Our bed is 2 feet from the closet (at foot), and to the left in the photo what you can't see is it has a dresser about the size (footprint) of the nightstand. YET, I am sure we can get our crib in there so we can co sleep. The bed is a queen BTW.

So glad your child is walking with help now! I hope you are able to get the walker soon so your child can be mobile!

AmberP - UGG! That stinks that you car is not liking you. I am glad the 7 hour drive wasn't too bad though! That van sounds nice! My neighbor has one of those and he tried to upgrade, and tried it for a few days and couldn't go through with it. He is back to his old one.

Glad your father is feeling better! I hope this continues for a while. WARNING DEATH MENTIONED: When my DD was alive I would notice she would do REALLY well right after the transfusion. They would normally give her a diuretic to help with fluid too that would make her feel great! It was when the time that she would not get as big of a boost from this, that was the beginning of the end for her. So the longer your father can feel better from this, the better. Because then maybe he can beat this thing.

Tris - I agree with Amber I would try the radian combination. Those things are VERY narrow! You could even put the baby in one if you like. They work well with newborns. Though that may mean that you purchase 3 new seats. What I would do is measure the back seat from edge to edge and see what you can get that would fit in that space. I think the radians are 17 inches wide, so as long as you have about 60 inches (a bit less will do I believe) then you should be good. As long as you have 3 seatbelts back there. I don't know much about Kia's. I have never wanted one and my mom only looks at sports cars so I haven't even looked with her.

AFM - It is raining here today but I really think we should go out and get a few things. I really don't want to but I really should. So off I will go! Need to do school work first though.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:27 AM   #58
KatieB621
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs View Post
Yeah I have looked at that too. That is why I like the little teardrop trailers. Though that may mean that this baby is my last. We will have to see.

KatieB621 - I am also not on any due date groups on Facebook. I am a fairly private person when it comes to getting to know our last name (blog shows that I am not THAT private ) so that is why I am not there.

Have you thought about side car-ing a crib? We have the worlds smallest bedroom... well maybe not but it is TINY! http://www.ourunplannedlife.com/2012...rries-max.html This shows our bed. Our bed is 2 feet from the closet (at foot), and to the left in the photo what you can't see is it has a dresser about the size (footprint) of the nightstand. YET, I am sure we can get our crib in there so we can co sleep. The bed is a queen BTW.

So glad your child is walking with help now! I hope you are able to get the walker soon so your child can be mobile!
I've thought about side car-ing a crib. My sister just did this with a very small crib she found at a consignment shop. The only crib that we currently have that I might could do this with is DS's, but it's super huge and I don't think we'd have the room for it, even side car-ed. So, I'm going to keep my eyes out at the consignment shops for a co-sleeper. DH was all for it when I explained it to him if I could find a good, used one, which doesn't bother me one bit. If I'm able to get one I might sell my bassinet. If I was really bad I'd go ahead and sell it at the yard sale this weekend and then we'd have to do something before the baby is born, but I don't want to run that risk. DH would prob get pretty mad at me if I did.

AFM: Busy cleaning today. I finally after nearly a year of searching found some diaya cheese at Publix yesterday, so I'm pretty stoked about making our first lasagna tonight that everyone in the family can have. We live in a pretty rural part of GA and no where around has been able to justify getting it for just one person. I wasn't sure how it would do with shipping, so I refused to buy it online and have it shipped to me. I haven't been able to justify, until now, an hours drive just to get cheese either. Since I'm buying groceries when I take DS to PT, I can get it. Didn't know that the Publix I've started shopping at carried it until yesterday! Usually I just avoid making foods like that because DS can't have milk or dairy products. Has anyone had any experience with making dishes using the diaya cheese and freezing them for later use? It says on the package I can freeze it, but I really wonder how it tastes after being frozen. :/

Last edited by KatieB621; 03-12-2013 at 08:29 AM.
KatieB621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #59
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Not to beat a dead horse Katie , but have you thought about an Ikea crib? This one is only $70 and I can't imagine you would find a co-sleeper for much less then that. It has a side you can remove. I know my crib is a sleigh crib and takes up more space then it needs to. But something like this is bare bones. Just a thought.

I have never heard of diaya cheese. Sorry!
Old 03-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #60
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmom View Post
glad to have you back safe and sound Amber the van sounds like fun! DH's dream is to have a conversion van
I like it, but I can't see myself driving it LOL. I pretty much HATE vans and it is an 8 cylinder beast. Dh would probably stay frustrated because I would still always steal his car to go grocery shopping. Apparently, I move the seats and mirrors and use all of his gas. It *would* be awesome to take camping though.