Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-11-2013, 12:49 PM   #11
yellowitchgrl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Reviews of 12+ passenger vans?

That's good to know, but my truck is a chevy silverado 2500 w/ an extended cab and an 8ft bed. It's a monster I drove it up the mountain at Glacier National Park once... it was, uhm, an experience.

Advertisement

Sarah. Christian. Married to Jonathan. Proud Mama of 6 boys! Andrew (10), Luke(7) and James (2). My babies born into heaven : Zach, Toby and Simon WAHM behind Sarah's Stitches HyenaCart and Etsy, 10% off with the code: DSE10 Facebook Wetbags, Snack Sacks, Fleece Soakers, Dresses, Naked Time Mats, Dresses, Wipes, Affordable Weighted Blankets and more! Check out my novels!! Ask for other places to buy.

Last edited by yellowitchgrl; 03-11-2013 at 12:54 PM.
yellowitchgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #12
MakingHome
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What a helpful thread! We're thinking through options for big behemoth vans too.

I aim to encourage Christian women at Making Home.
MakingHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #13
sunnygirlmomof6
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We just got a Chevy 3500 15 passenger and I LOVE it. It has 75000 miles on it and runs well. I am really impressed with it.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:31 AM   #14
Cortney
Registered Users
seller

We have a 15-passenger Chevy Express- it's a 2006 with 140,000. The only maintenance we've had to do past regular stuff is replace an oxygen sensor ($100?) and maybe that's regular maintenance?

LOVE LOVE LOVE my van and I plan on it lasting forever. My husband's family owns a carpet cleaning company and they use the utility vans that are the same as my van just cargo version. They easily get 200,000 driving miles out of them and then many more put on the engine (the engine has to stay running for the carpet machine to work- the machine uses the engine for power). So tons more miles on the engine. They get rid of them around 200,000 so who knows how long they'd really last?

My friend has a sprinter and while she loves a lot of it, she's had issues like crazy. Water leaking in from the upper a/c unit, etc. It seems like her van is in the shop every other week and it's EXPENSIVE to fix (my chevy is about as cheap as they come to repair). Plus, our closest sprinter repair place is 45 min away- so that would be something to think about.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #15
yellowitchgrl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow, that is interesting! I want to hear from someone who has a nissan too, but that's heartening.

The only thing I don't love is that the seats don't have head rests
Sarah. Christian. Married to Jonathan. Proud Mama of 6 boys! Andrew (10), Luke(7) and James (2). My babies born into heaven : Zach, Toby and Simon WAHM behind Sarah's Stitches HyenaCart and Etsy, 10% off with the code: DSE10 Facebook Wetbags, Snack Sacks, Fleece Soakers, Dresses, Naked Time Mats, Dresses, Wipes, Affordable Weighted Blankets and more! Check out my novels!! Ask for other places to buy.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:50 AM   #16
Dahlia64
Banned

We have a GMC 14 passanger and its amazing! Im really surpised that u have had bad luck with Chevy. We live chevy and have always gotton great use with them!
Dahlia64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #17
yellowitchgrl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We had a cavalier at one point and now the silverado. We ditched the cavalier because the repairs were just getting ridiculous. The chevy truck has had more repairs to it than our (toyota) tacoma, camry, and sienna put together and it is the least used vehicle. *sigh*

Maybe we're just that lucky.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:16 PM   #18
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We've debated this as well--the headrest thing! Finally realized we're trying too hard to plan too far ahead. As long as the kids are in a high back booster, vehicle headrests are not needed in the back. Getting a nice tall booster (even if that's the $300 combo seat used only for a booster) will be cheaper than the sprinter or nissan van. I figure by the time my oldest outgrows that tall booster it will be a few years down the road and at THAT point we'll need to reconsider our options. But those few years will be spent in a less expensive vehicle, saving years and miles on that expensive van if that's where we end up. And if you do stop at 5 or 6 kids, then by the time your older ones outgrow the boosters, you'll have different carseat needs for the others plus who knows what carseats will be on the market by then that could help with your needs. Just remember it's always cheaper to buy new carseats than a new car.

My advice would be get some ideas now but don't actually make the purchase until after the new baby has been here a few months and you get a better idea of how it could work in your current vehicle. In any case, have fun shopping and congrats on the new one on the way!!
Old 03-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #19
yellowitchgrl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

that is a very fair point about the head rests, but I do have an almost 9 yr old so in the next few years (when we'd be looking to buy) he should actually be in a normal seat.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:56 PM   #20
Ashsmama
Registered Users
seller

This might be a really dumb question but, why do you need/want the head rests?

I agree that this is a helpful thread! I'm looking into getting a van but 8 passenger for now.