Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-10-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Books

Ok ladies help me out here. I hate getting rid of books. My almost 7 yo dd is purging her books. And this is a huge step for her so I'm proud. She's wanting to get rid of a ton of them. some are books from my childhood and some i bought when she was a baby. I know it's an emotional attachment so talk me down! Lol. Plus I just love books! But there's always the library.....just need some support here

Advertisement

Art mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
KiltedKingdom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Books

NO!!! DON'T DO IT!!!

It's totally a personal decision. Lots of people on here say to only have a few books in the house, we have thousands of books in our house. Only you can decide what number works for your family

Sorry, not the response you wanted You could always go through her get rid of pile and keep the ones you want the most. She'd still be getting rid of some, and you could take some time to evaluate how important they are to you.

Last edited by KiltedKingdom; 03-10-2013 at 06:48 PM.
KiltedKingdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltedKingdom
NO!!! DON'T DO IT!!!

It's totally a personal decision. Lots of people on here say to only have a few books in the house, we have thousands of books in our house. Only you can decide what number works for your family

Sorry, not the response you wanted You could always go through her get rid of pile and keep the ones you want the most. She'd still be getting rid of some, and you could take some time to evaluate how important they are to you.
Oh gee thanks!!! Lol

I told her to make a pile then I'd go through them. I wish I had a room to make a library in but I don't have the space. I'm thinking we could probably cut them down by half and they'd get more use then.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #4
AJH1544
Registered Users
seller

Yep, do what you want!! I grew up loving books, we always had a library in our house when we were kids. My parents taught us to read from the same exact **** n jane books that they learned from, complete with their scribbled name in the cover lol!

Upon beginning our minimalist journey, dh and i have decided that for now, everything is fair game except for books and sophies stuff. We will not touch those areas.
AJH1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #5
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I love books. My dream house has a room twice the size of the living room that would be the library. However, being military and moving every 2-3 years and having a family that loves to read and shares my love of books, this just isn't really feasible right now.

So, for us, if it is a book that we know will be read many times or that is hard to get at the library, we keep it. If it is something we will use for schooling (we homeschool) that would be hard to get from the library, we keep it. We still have more books than most people I know, but it has helped cut back. I go through books a few times a year because otherwise, I run out of space.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #6
Cathy_B
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

E-readers.

I hate having so many books in my home. I am a 6-book kind of girl. DH is a 600 book kind of guy. He has so many that the bookshelves bust.

I say purge the books. There is almost nothing that couldn't be replaced one day in the future anyway, if desperately needed.

A person cannot take care of that many books. A person cannot reread that many books. They become dusty, damaged, dog-eared, ragged, and torn. The worst part is that eventually they all begin to stink. Paper attracts mildew. Yuck. Yuck yuck yuck. And for WHAT? What in the world is the attraction to having all that mildew sitting around collecting dust on top, knowing full well that the books will never be cracked open again?

And the space that a home could have instead ... light, airy, shiny, mildew-free space.

Did that help? (Teehee!)
Old 03-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #7
Cathy_B
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sorry to book lovers for my post...
Old 03-10-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy_B
E-readers.

I hate having so many books in my home. I am a 6-book kind of girl. DH is a 600 book kind of guy. He has so many that the bookshelves bust.

I say purge the books. There is almost nothing that couldn't be replaced one day in the future anyway, if desperately needed.

A person cannot take care of that many books. A person cannot reread that many books. They become dusty, damaged, dog-eared, ragged, and torn. The worst part is that eventually they all begin to stink. Paper attracts mildew. Yuck. Yuck yuck yuck. And for WHAT? What in the world is the attraction to having all that mildew sitting around collecting dust on top, knowing full well that the books will never be cracked open again?

And the space that a home could have instead ... light, airy, shiny, mildew-free space.

Did that help? (Teehee!)
Finally the answer I was looking for! Lol. I may take the middle of the road right now. Of I can purge more other stuff maybe I can have a better place to keep what books we keep. She never reads them because there are so many choices. So if they aren't getting the love they need to go. I used to have a ton of books myself and got rid of most of them. Haven't really missed them since.

Anybody want a bunch of kids books? Lol
Old 03-10-2013, 08:25 PM   #9
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd let her purge, sort through and keep a few favorites if they have sentimental value, and donate the rest. Of the ones that you decide to keep, store them in a bin somewhere else to free up the space in her room/bookshelf.

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #10
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordbox
I'd let her purge, sort through and keep a few favorites if they have sentimental value, and donate the rest. Of the ones that you decide to keep, store them in a bin somewhere else to free up the space in her room/bookshelf.
That's what I'm thinking.