Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #1
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Becoming minimal changed my life...

I have been slowly trying to become more minimalist for a year. I never really saw how much it impacted my life until this past week.

We hosted a dinner party for the first time in three years. Instead of madly trying to make the house presentable the week before, we were doing the little projects you put off indefinitely, like fix the toilet seat and finally put a curtain on that cabinet with no doors.

I didn't do a complicated menu, but all my best comfort foods - bacon-wrapped peppers, salad, chicken tortilla soup, cornbread, texas pecan pie a la mode. I was able to leisurely cook it all over the course of the day without rush, while my DH swept and mopped the first floor. We were able to find all the things we needed for the party - serving dishes, wine glasses, etc. Getting ready and serving food was so easy and stress free. We were actually able to ENJOY hosting and the company. People loved the house and the food.

Now it is the morning after, and the only cleanup is running three loads of dishes (as our kids also used plates/cups having their own pizza party in the basement). DH and I were able to sleep in since the kids could find all the stuff they need to fend for themselves for breakfast.

Becoming more minimal made this possible. We wouldn't have been able to do this so stress-free last year, or even the last four years. Having that third kid for us set us way off the path (and we were already off the path to begin with LOL), but now we are back on. I am so looking forward to this new chapter in my life where I get to enjoy people more than things.

Thanks everyone for the continued inspiration and support. I get so much motivation from reading and posting here.

Advertisement

Old 03-17-2013, 09:30 AM   #2
jessicanashville
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Becoming minimal changed my life...

I am a year in too and the past few weeks I am starting to feel a greater freedom too! I feel like I still have a long way to go and your story is inspiring, thanks for sharing
jessicanashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:36 AM   #3
Blessed2005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I too have started trying to adopt a simpler life. Too bad I decided to do a total house sweep while pregnant with my third. I haven't finished and can't atm, but I have also learned that it's not a two month process like I first thought it would be. It's lifelong. I have started seeing the benefits too though, especially in the rooms that I got to finish. So much easier to clean and find things. Who knew that the saying "sometimes less is more" was actually very wise and true?!

Thanks for sharing your story. I need the continued inspiration to continue the journey when DS2 arrives.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:51 AM   #4
leadmare
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for sharing your lovely realization. And all that comfort food sounds divine!
leadmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:55 AM   #5
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:

We had a similar experience at my DD1's 4th birthday party in January. We were actually traveling for 2 weeks before the party, got home on Friday night and had a party Sunday afternoon. A year ago I would have been completely overwhelmed trying to get things done but I knew that my house was already well cleaned, uncluttered, organized. I just had a few last minutes things like a handful of toys, dirty clothes, and dishes that we had used that morning. It was a wonderufl feeling!
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote