Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-12-2013, 04:27 PM   #1
indigo152
Registered Users
seller

Can Someone Please Help Me Pack??

I could use some minimalist guidance in packing for a vacation. We leave for Florida (from cold, New England) on Sunday. We will be there one full week. I am not taking cloth diapers, but will just disposables there.
We are trying not to take much luggage. We are planning to check one medium sized suitcase, and one carry on sized suitcase. I will also have a diaper bag.
I have clothes set aside to take, but think I might be overpacking! So, what would you take (how many outfits) for the following travelers?
2 adults (one wife, one husband)
1 girl (age four)
1 boy (age 18 months)

We will have access to laundry in our condo, but we are traveling away from the condo midweek. I will be able to do laundry on Thursday night or Friday morning.

Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
snozzberry
Registered Users
seller

Re: Can Someone Please Help Me Pack??

So funny I just saw your post because just a few days ago, I came across this blog post:

How to Travel with Kids: Packing - from Penang Momma

Hope that helps!
snozzberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:53 PM   #3
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We just got back from Florida! Hope you have warmer weather than we did. We had one ginormous checked suitcase for all three of us (me, dh, dd) and DH and I both had small carryons. And we packed cloth.
What you pack will depend on your activities - but - here is what I remember taking:
I wore jeans on the plane and packed two pairs of shorts, black ankle pants, plus gym wear (i knew I was hitting the gym). I planned to wear gym tank tops as pj's, then use them at the gym and stink them up :-). The ankle pants were a lifesaver - comfy, cute with a tee or nicer top, and basic black so i could wear with everything.
Neutrals - pick one (black, brown, etc) and make everything match that. This means no "brown shoes AND black shoes" etc. same goes fir the kids, but you may want to plan on one pair of theirs always being wet, lol. I once traveled with someone who brought an entire suitcase of SHOES, pls do not do that :-)
Mix and match - this is not the time for Gymbo matchy-matchy. DD took basic denim and khaki shorts, plus leggings and comfy skirts in neutrals. Plus fun tops. She re-wore the bottoms frequently bc the shirts were the things getting dirty.
Toiletries, just bring the basics and as much as you need. Since you have a condo, and will be hitting the grocery I assume, could you just get sposies, soap, etc once you are there? That way you don't have to pack.
I bought new toothbrushes for everyone before we left, and packed the old ones. We left the old ones in fl. I often keep "ends " of things to pack and then toss (think 1/4 tube of toothpaste, etc.
Have fun!
Old 03-13-2013, 02:24 PM   #4
MamaJules
Registered Users
seller

Since you are leaving in a few days, you should be able to get a somewhat accurate weather forecast. Are they saying it is going to be warm and sunny all week? Or cool and rainy? Or some of each? For the 18 month old I would pack two outfits for each day that you will be gone before you can do laundry. For the older one I would pack one outfit for each pre-laundry day (unless she tends to be super messy or still has accidents, then go for two.) For you and DH -- 1 pair of jeans (wear on the plane since they tend to be cold), 1 pair of other pants, 2 pair of shorts, one shirt for each pre-laundry day, one sweatshirt or light jacket. If it is going to be nice, then maybe a sundress for you. Plus swimsuits for everyone of course if you will be swimming.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:01 PM   #5
indigo152
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the tips! Our suitcases are packed (one medium sized, and one carry on sized). I do need to add a few toiletries, but I suppose I don't need much shampoo for a week! I do need to figure out what type of bag to bring for a diaper bag. I have a large diaper bag that just seems too big. I guess a backpack might be the best option, but I don't want to be tempted to overstuff it!
My in-laws are already in Florida, and are going to pick up groceries for us along with disposable diapers. I wish I could bring cloth diapers, but don't want to bring another bag just for diapers, or have to think about doing extra laundry there - I love cloth diapers, but really just want to enjoy vacation, and not think too much. I hope my son doesn't leak with the disposable diapers because that would just defeat the idea of no extra laundry!
Old 03-15-2013, 06:08 PM   #6
epanouie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigo152
Thanks for the tips! Our suitcases are packed (one medium sized, and one carry on sized). I do need to add a few toiletries, but I suppose I don't need much shampoo for a week! I do need to figure out what type of bag to bring for a diaper bag. I have a large diaper bag that just seems too big. I guess a backpack might be the best option, but I don't want to be tempted to overstuff it!
My in-laws are already in Florida, and are going to pick up groceries for us along with disposable diapers. I wish I could bring cloth diapers, but don't want to bring another bag just for diapers, or have to think about doing extra laundry there - I love cloth diapers, but really just want to enjoy vacation, and not think too much. I hope my son doesn't leak with the disposable diapers because that would just defeat the idea of no extra laundry!
Yes, the no extra laundry is a myth for us! My first two kiddos had some memorable accidents at other people's homes when traveling with disposables... With the next two I stuck with my tried and true cloth no matter where we went. I even hand washed flats for two weeks when I was without access...I realize most people would not do this, but it was my first try and I was surprised at how not so bad it was. I just did them every night after I got the kids in bed. I was happy to have a washer again, though! Anyway...I don't know what system you use, maybe it is too bulky to add, but you might consider taking just a day's worth incase the disposables aren't working out? I liked using Flips and flats while traveling with basically no extra room.

I will hope everything works out great and that you have a wonderful vacation!!!
epanouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #7
ARogers
Registered Users
seller
seller

What do you have packed in the diaper bag? We usually bring the same for the 4 of us (1 med suitcase, 1 carry on and 1 diaper bag) and we were able to bring our CDs. It wasn't a hassle or more extra work doing the laundry. I agree with pp, maybe bring a few JIK the spouses don't work out.

I agree with DottieHarley as far as the outfits. We usually packed 3 bottoms and 5 tops per person, plus the additional outfit you are wearing, and a lightweight jacket/zip-up hoodie. I always try not to overpack the suitcase because you may end up buying a souvenir while on vacation.

Last edited by ARogers; 03-15-2013 at 08:04 PM.
ARogers is offline   Reply With Quote