Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:
Maternity Leave

For those that work, are you working up until baby or taking off sooner? How long are you taking off? My work hadn't really asked me if I wanted to be off sooner, just what my due date was and for a letter saying how long I should be off. I'm a school nurse so it'll butt up to summer break, so the length doesn't matter too much since I'm off all summer it'll end up being about 4 months

Advertisement

Old 03-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Maternity Leave

this might not be as relevant since it was with my first as opposed to with this pregnancy, but with DD, the first day I missed was the day I gave birth to her.

I say work as long as you feel up to it!
Old 03-07-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
momneedssupport
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2wyatt View Post
For those that work, are you working up until baby or taking off sooner? How long are you taking off? My work hadn't really asked me if I wanted to be off sooner, just what my due date was and for a letter saying how long I should be off. I'm a school nurse so it'll butt up to summer break, so the length doesn't matter too much since I'm off all summer it'll end up being about 4 months
With my first i worked all day then had him that night i wanted all my mat leave with my baby! I was teaching and moved classrooms all day long. I took 8 weeks came back fir 8 weeks then summer!!!

Last edited by momneedssupport; 03-07-2013 at 07:02 PM.
momneedssupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
kcannon
Registered Users
seller
seller

I plan on working until I have the baby and taking 6 weeks off afterwards.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #5
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

With DD1 I got put on bedrest. I had DD2 over Christmas break. Planning to work up until I pop this time. I work for the school system too.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #6
USNsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm a teacher and I'm planning to go all the way up to my due date, and not leave any sooner (unless medically necessary). If I do so, I'll only "need" five weeks off. I'm going to return on our graduation/teacher work day, but largely for formality's sake, so I can resume full paychecks again. Then, I'll be off I'll summer and back in August.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:52 PM   #7
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

I am a teacher as well, and our Spring Break is the week before I'm due. So I will have 8 days off before my due date. Then I'm going to take the rest of the year off (8 weeks) and go back in August.

I'm just realizing that I'm going to be home for 8 weeks with my girls and the new baby...I think I'm going to go crazy! My girls are so used to going to school with me and being with the students all day, so I think they are going to go crazy as well. We live right next to the school, so I'll still send them to school for recess and PE (DH is the teacher at the school, so they can still go). I think I may send my 5 year old for music as well. We may be moving to another town in our district if DH gets a transfer to another school. I really hope we do because it will give me something to do during my leave.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:15 AM   #8
MrsStripe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow, seems like lots of teachers in this ddc. Maybe because we all try to plan this way to not work to the end of the year I also have spring break the week before baby is due unless baby decides to make an earlier appearance. I will only be taking 6 weeks off, but I work from home so baby will be with me until about 6 months when we'll start daycare.
MrsStripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:20 AM   #9
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:

LOL yes lots of teachers/school people! We had so many snow days this year we only get 1 or 2 days off for spring break, I think the Friday before Easter and the Monday after.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:21 AM   #10
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rverrone11 View Post
I'm just realizing that I'm going to be home for 8 weeks with my girls and the new baby...I think I'm going to go crazy! My girls are so used to going to school with me and being with the students all day, so I think they are going to go crazy as well. We live right next to the school, so I'll still send them to school for recess and PE (DH is the teacher at the school, so they can still go). I think I may send my 5 year old for music as well.
Is there any way they could go some days with DH? Although, if you can send them over for music, PE, and recesses that would be awesome breaks for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2wyatt View Post
We had so many snow days this year we only get 1 or 2 days off for spring break, I think the Friday before Easter and the Monday after.
They haven't adjusted our spring break (can't really, they have to give a week off) but they did time it so that we "miss out" on getting good friday off - I mean, we get it off, but it's the last Friday of march break, so it's not off because it's good friday, kwim? Ah well.

To answer the actual question, lol - I haven't ever been working while pregnant. I did when pregnant with DD, but they forced me to quit with the m/s I had (no not allowed, yes I could have fought it, no I didn't), and I would have had to suddenly leave at 30 weeks when I started bedrest (which they would have been really angry about as well).
Anyways, it would totally depend on how the pregnancy was going, but if all was going normally/well, I think I would work up until labor started - basically as long as I could. Might as well have something to eat up the waiting time, lol!

DH still hasn't decided (I don't think anyways) what he's doing as far as parental leave goes, but no matter what he decides, he'll work up until birth, as parental leave can't begin until after baby is born.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote