View Poll Results: Would you use donor milk from a mother who smokes cigarettes?
Yes! Breast milk is that important 14 11.20%
No! Cigarettes are that dangerous 91 72.80%
I would never use donor milk 16 12.80%
Other 4 3.20%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-11-2013, 11:04 PM   #31
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
I would give formula before touching/offering any milk tainted with smoker stink. Cigarettes are absolutely disgusting, so for me,formula would be our choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque
Nope I wouldn't do it. If I don't want my babies inhaling cigarette smoke, I certainly don't want them ingesting it.
Both of these. And if we're being honest, I'd judge her, at least a little for smoking with children & either A. smoking while pregnant or B. quitting and not staying away. If you can quit nine months, why start back? I know, it's none of my business. But we all have things we judge about and mine is something that can be changed.

Advertisement

Old 03-11-2013, 11:09 PM   #32
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaelynsmommy61607 View Post
Smokers have way too many additional chemicals in their body. I'm not comfortable using their milk.
This. I'd rather use formula.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:57 PM   #33
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy13 View Post
Does anyone have any factual information on what if any material from the cigarettes passes through the BM? I may feel that smoking is gross and disgusting but that might not mean that it is harmful in BM. Ive read studies on hiv+mothers feeding their babies expressed BM safely while thats obviously not the ideal i never would have assumed it to be safe. I think that i (and probably many others) should do some researching on this before formind an opinion not based on fact.

Also the idea that carrying a baby means you automatically are able to BF is ludicrous and was a nasty thing to say. Im sorry you had a hard time bfing i really am, but comments like yours give other lactivists who arent douche bags a bad name.
Nicotine. I thought that was common knowledge. Many babies that are born of smoking mothers have to go through nicotine withdrawal just like drug addicted children do. If you want AAP and scientific links they're easily searchable.

ETA: BM from HIV+ mothers is safe after expressing and flash heating, not just expressing. Flash heating kills HIV bacteria, as well as 6 other kinds I believe.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum

Last edited by Hillargh; 03-11-2013 at 11:58 PM.
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:59 PM   #34
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: If you coulodn't breastfeed your baby

I most likely wouldn't. I would only use breast milk from someone who was screened and even then wearily because what if it just wasn't showing up yet. A lot of people are not aware of their status. If someone is a smoker I would be worried about what other habits they may have. In countries where there isn't a safe supply of water or a guarantee supply of formula it is a very different story. I would do a lot to make it work and have come into issues I had to work around but if for some reason it didn't I would use formula.

Last edited by nohollyhomaker; 03-12-2013 at 12:05 AM.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:06 AM   #35
PoshPants
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillargh View Post
Nicotine. I thought that was common knowledge. Many babies that are born of smoking mothers have to go through nicotine withdrawal just like drug addicted children do. If you want AAP and scientific links they're easily searchable.
i was born to a smoker, it was quite common back then, I wonder if it has anything to do with our gen being so ill compared to generations before
Old 03-12-2013, 12:28 AM   #36
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoshPants View Post

i was born to a smoker, it was quite common back then, I wonder if it has anything to do with our gen being so ill compared to generations before
Oh yeah it was super common. They offered it during labor at one point in time! Calm down, have a cigarette. Hell, cartoons and everything under the sun promoted it. Makes me cringe honestly, and it wasn't even that long ago. That's a good question, though. I often wonder if what many people attribute to technological advances, air conditioning, TV, less outdoor time, etc isn't really more so a chemical exposure issue on numerous fronts.

Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:36 AM   #37
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Nicotine

The amount of nicotine in a smoker's breast milk is greater than the amount in her bloodstream. Cigarette smoke is a complex mixture containing about 4,000 chemical compounds, including more than 60 carcinogens. How many of these compounds are found in a mother's milk, and at what levels, has not been determined.
http://www.babycenter.com/0_breast-m...rticlesection4

Studies have shown that babies sleep less when their mothers smoke prior to breastfeeding. In addition, heavy smoking can significantly reduce your milk production.

http://www.babymed.com/newborn-first...-breastfeeding

Babies of smokers – breastfed or not – are prone to colic and respiratory illnesses. Smoking (whether during pregnancy or around the baby after birth) increases the risk of SIDS
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:38 AM   #38
PoshPants
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillargh View Post
Oh yeah it was super common. They offered it during labor at one point in time! Calm down, have a cigarette. Hell, cartoons and everything under the sun promoted it. Makes me cringe honestly, and it wasn't even that long ago. That's a good question, though. I often wonder if what many people attribute to technological advances, air conditioning, TV, less outdoor time, etc isn't really more so a chemical exposure issue on numerous fronts.

docs used to promote, they told the queens dad to smoke to calm his nerves, died from lung cancer, sad
Old 03-12-2013, 05:04 AM   #39
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
Right. This is why I would question it. It is INCREDIBLY rare for a woman to not make enough milk. I would want to know why. I have very close ties to an amazing mama whose daughter was born a month after my first. She had hypoplasia and couldn't provide enough milk. I understand the horrors of the weight loss and and ftt. I pumped and provided 100% of that sweet baby's supplementary milk for two and a half years. I would gladly do anything in my powers to help another truly struggling mother provide breastmilk.

I say all of this as a mother who would not give up breastfeeding for anything. I did the bleeding/skin loss, awful pain, being admitted for serious mastitis, and pumping every two hours for four years, only to continue by choice. As someone who dealt with a very serious and life threatening feeding and swallowing disorder, severe ppd, while never successfully nursing my first baby. Yup. Breastmilk is very, extremely important to me.

Its not INCREDIBLY rare. It happens all the time. Half the women on the thread are telling you that it happened to them.... that doesn't seem very rare to me. This attitude that if you're struggling you're doing it wrong doesn't help anyone. Bad moms are not moms who don't breastfeed, bad moms are the ones who don't feed their babies.

*ETA- I would give formula over smokey donor milk FOR SURE. As it stands a very good friend of mine is already saving up a freezer stash for my baby on the way... her husband smokes, but not in the house and I know what she puts in her body. I don't think I could ever take human milk from someone I don't know very well..... and yes, I do know the cow who give us our cow milk.

Last edited by gingerpeachee; 03-13-2013 at 05:39 AM.
gingerpeachee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:49 AM   #40
Kätzchen
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerpeachee

Its not INCREDIBLY rare. It happens all the time. Half the women on the thread are telling you that it happened to them.... that doesn't seem very rare to me. This attitude that if you're struggling you're doing it wrong doesn't help anyone. Bad moms are not moms who don't breastfeed, bad moms are the ones who don't feed their babies.
In America it must be more common for some reason. Then again, I'm thinking its not incredibly common to cloth diaper either, yet most people on this board do/have.