Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-11-2013, 04:51 PM   #1
~*~Sunflower~*~
Registered Users
seller
seller

Anyone else affected by the Sequestration/ Furlough?

My DH is getting furloughed 2 days a month. This is taking effect the same month we are losing another 1k/month. I have been pretty lax in the thrifty department of late, but that will for sure be changing!

I am just wondering how many other people are affected....

Advertisement

Last edited by ~*~Sunflower~*~; 03-11-2013 at 05:44 PM.
~*~Sunflower~*~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #2
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'm sorry mama!

We have not been affected yet, but my company is 100 percent reliant on govt/mil/defense contracts, so we are anticipating some hard times ahead. I will *likely* not be laid off, but furlough days are not off the table.
DH is in retail sales - so as soon as the pain is widespread in the area (dc metro) his paychecks, already laughable, will shrink even further.
We are pretty thrifty but I will be tightening up the grocery budget, looking into new cell plans and insurance, and generally eliminating extra spending.
I agree with many people that spending NEEDS to be reigned in, but this is not not not how to do it!
Old 03-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #3
~*~Sunflower~*~
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Anyone else affected by the Sequestration/ Furlough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DottieHarley View Post
I agree with many people that spending NEEDS to be reigned in, but this is not not not how to do it!
ITA!
Old 03-11-2013, 06:16 PM   #4
Momma2Nick
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Yup, we are a Border Patrol family. Hubs will be furloughed 2 days a month, in addition, his overtime is gone and he has to kennel 100%. We stand to lose between 14 and 18 hundred a month. We are in a big BP/customs/park service/air force town. It's gonna hit hard around here. Not just for us but for everyone we know, virtually.
Amanda, Wife to Ray, Momma to my Nicky Bean born 12/21/07 He was the coolest Christmas Present EVER! Welcomed my Easter gift, Victoria on 4/20/11 Our Summer Sweetheart, Mason came on 7/23/13. We are sooo blessed!
Momma2Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #5
~*~Sunflower~*~
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2Nick View Post
Yup, we are a Border Patrol family. Hubs will be furloughed 2 days a month, in addition, his overtime is gone and he has to kennel 100%. We stand to lose between 14 and 18 hundred a month. We are in a big BP/customs/park service/air force town. It's gonna hit hard around here. Not just for us but for everyone we know, virtually.
Oh,yeah. forgot about no overtime! (I don't know what kennel is! )
Old 03-11-2013, 06:28 PM   #6
Momma2Nick
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My husband is a k9 instructor and handler. So he has to kennel his dog instead of bringing her home.
Amanda, Wife to Ray, Momma to my Nicky Bean born 12/21/07 He was the coolest Christmas Present EVER! Welcomed my Easter gift, Victoria on 4/20/11 Our Summer Sweetheart, Mason came on 7/23/13. We are sooo blessed!
Momma2Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:33 PM   #7
~*~Sunflower~*~
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2Nick View Post
My husband is a k9 instructor and handler. So he has to kennel his dog instead of bringing her home.
Ah! Makes sense!
Old 03-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #8
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I'm sure we will be, but not sure exactly how yet. DH is Air Force and is part of the flight crew. He will be deploying soon for what is supposed to be a 4 month tour. However, with the cuts in flights, most fliers are concerned that in 4 months there won't be enough qualified fliers eligable for deployment, which means DH will be gone longer than 4 months. Not a guarantee at this point, of course, but probably we will be affected in that sense. Pay will not be cut.

I could think of 100 better ways to cut costs, though. Starting with taking away the raise Congress just got and let's start flying the President around in a smaller, less luxurious plane. Better yet, have him stay put in Washington so he doesn't need to fly anywhere.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:57 PM   #9
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post

I could think of 100 better ways to cut costs, though. Starting with taking away the raise Congress just got and let's start flying the President around in a smaller, less luxurious plane. Better yet, have him stay put in Washington so he doesn't need to fly anywhere.
I'm not affected but I 100% agree. This is a 2% cut for the government and they should just cut out all the REAL government waste. They could save that much very easily. Or better yet... why not just impose tariffs on products being imported from China? That could probably solve a few problems!

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:28 PM   #10
Lady_B
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Shia active duty marine and well we didn't see any raise this year due to the new taxes. Also his tuition assistance has been canceled as of now. Sucks because we was really getting into a grove w college. I think congress needs to have a pay cut as well as the president. And that sh*t about the president getting paid the same salary for life after he leaves office has got to go. I don't get paid from Home Depot after I left
Owner and designer of Butterfly Elephants, waldorf style dolls
Lady_B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
us govt can't budget