Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-11-2013, 10:44 PM   #11
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anyone else affected by the Sequestration/ Furlough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_B View Post
Shia active duty marine and well we didn't see any raise this year due to the new taxes. Also his tuition assistance has been canceled as of now. Sucks because we was really getting into a grove w college. I think congress needs to have a pay cut as well as the president. And that sh*t about the president getting paid the same salary for life after he leaves office has got to go. I don't get paid from Home Depot after I left
Yeah, military doesn't get paid same salary for life after serving for 20+ years, why should the President get it for 4 years?

Advertisement

tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:57 PM   #12
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
Yeah, military doesn't get paid same salary for life after serving for 20+ years, why should the President get it for 4 years?
And they don't get the medical they were promised for life either! I was never so mad as when they started the Tricare junk in 1996! My grandfather & FIL both put in 20 years .. My grandma got so much less than promised when my grandpa died & my FIL has to PAY for tricare! The president & congress get free medical for life!

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:20 AM   #13
MisKaren1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We are affected! DH is a Dept of Defense engineer for the Navy. Meaning, furlough one day a week for 22 weeks, no overtime, travel, raises, etc.
I only half-jokingly say I really hope North Korea isn't following the sequester cuts.
MisKaren1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:12 AM   #14
Hoping2BaMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdesonia

And they don't get the medical they were promised for life either! I was never so mad as when they started the Tricare junk in 1996! My grandfather & FIL both put in 20 years .. My grandma got so much less than promised when my grandpa died & my FIL has to PAY for tricare! The president & congress get free medical for life!
This makes me soooo mad! DH only served 7.5 years active duty, but I know how much military deserve SO much more than they get.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:16 AM   #15
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Our city started furlough days seversl years ago of 8 hours every two weeks. It was an adjustment but it's not so bad. when dh worked there he got every other monday off. it was less money but the long weekend was great.

I'm sorry you are all experiencing it.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:07 AM   #16
drabekgirl
Registered Users

My dh's raises have been eaten by the cost of health care for the last 3 years and it will continue for the next 3-5 years. He doesn't work government he works private sector. Dh monthly take home is only double what you first poster are losing. We would make out better if we were unemployed on FS, with rent help and government health care.

But I agree that the congress should not be given raises and they should not be given their pay for the rest of their lives. I also agree that the president should not be getting raises or a continued salary for the rest of their lives. I also think that they should have to use the same health care as everyone else instead of giving themselves something better. And I think that this president could make some MAJOR cuts in his way of living, like walking his own dog, cutting his vacation expense down from 1M+/trip. When this country started these positions were voluntary they got 0 in pay. Course than again I also think that the American military was all volunteers (ie minute men). ok they weren't they were paid $6 a month when General Washington had it.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #17
Lady_B
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Makes me so mad that the military is getting crapped on. My husband has served 3 combat deployments and suffers from PTSD and paranoia from being deployed. Give me a break Obama and maybe use the $400k you get paid a year to pay for your trips to Hawaii yourself.

I find it funny ppl who voted for Obama are all pissed off now. I'm like don't complain to me I voted for Romney.
Owner and designer of Butterfly Elephants, waldorf style dolls
Lady_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #18
ctj101502
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Okay so this whole thing I don't understand. It is a 2.5 percent cut off the increased that were expected. It was explained on Hannity yesterday in layman's terms. Say you make 50k per yr, bid says next yr you get 55k. Then after sequester stuff takes affect that raise next yr instead becomes 52.5k so are you really missing money or are you still getting a raise. The people that are in charge are trying to make everyone believe they are short etc, when actually they aren't getting as big of a raise as expected. Nothing has been lost just not as large of a gain. An I getting this concept down correct?
Can't forget my 6 lil blessings!!!

Last edited by ctj101502; 03-12-2013 at 10:51 AM.
ctj101502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:46 AM   #19
dani_p
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by drabekgirl
My dh's raises have been eaten by the cost of health care for the last 3 years and it will continue for the next 3-5 years. He doesn't work government he works private sector. Dh monthly take home is only double what you first poster are losing. We would make out better if we were unemployed on FS, with rent help and government health care.

But I agree that the congress should not be given raises and they should not be given their pay for the rest of their lives. I also agree that the president should not be getting raises or a continued salary for the rest of their lives. I also think that they should have to use the same health care as everyone else instead of giving themselves something better. And I think that this president could make some MAJOR cuts in his way of living, like walking his own dog, cutting his vacation expense down from 1M+/trip. When this country started these positions were voluntary they got 0 in pay. Course than again I also think that the American military was all volunteers (ie minute men). ok they weren't they were paid $6 a month when General Washington had it.
Congress does not get paid for the rest of their lives. I hate that this rumor won't die... What every public official makes, and how long they earn it, is freely available online. Whoever made that stupid info graphic that's been floating around FaceBook is on my naughty list...
Expecting number two (04/14)!
dani_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:01 PM   #20
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dani_p View Post
Congress does not get paid for the rest of their lives. I hate that this rumor won't die... What every public official makes, and how long they earn it, is freely available online. Whoever made that stupid info graphic that's been floating around FaceBook is on my naughty list...
I don't care if they get paid for the rest of their lives or not. They make to much darn money! If they paid them what they pay the Military, then we might get some honest folks in congress. As for the president I think his pay should be cut in half, no paid vacations and only travel if absolutely needed. Like tragedy in our country or something.
I don't know anyone that can get into office with the guts to do this though. Romney certainly wouldn't!
Oh and the life long security for presidents has to stop. I can see for 1-2 years but life! No way!

Tags
us govt can't budget