Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-12-2013, 03:25 PM   #11
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Bad hospital, I might just stay home

I have the same problem. It's called "vasovagal sycope". I pass out with eye exams and needles/anesthesia. I was afraid of the IV, but with my first we ended up at the hospital so late in the game that there was no time for any insistence on their part, since she was crowning and born within 15 or 20 minutes. With my second we had a homebirth.

I was absolutely afraid of passing out during labor if there were needles involved, but there are a few options. Laying down with your feet above your head usually prevents the body from passing out completely, so that's an option if you feel that you have no other choice. You can also wait until the last minute, but that can backfire if you give birth somewhere else other than the hospital, unassisted. As others have said, you can also ask to sign a waiver if they are super insistent and just adamantly refuse the IV/heplock.
As I said, I've been there, but I was fortunate enough to avoid the issue entirely. If I need to give blood for tests, I always lie down with my feet above my head and keep wiggling my toes.

Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #12
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerpeachee View Post
Just say no. They have absolutely no right to put anything in your body including an IV without your consent. They might make you sign an AMA form, they may try to bully you, look them straight in the face and say "This is not up for discussion, If you attempt to push the issue or force me you will be facing assault and battery charges." Don't discuss it with your doctor too much.... he's already told you how he feels, but he can't deny care to you while you're in labor (as long as CA is like NY) without first finding you a doctor who IS willing to provide care for you.
agreed. OR I would stay at home and birth.
I am super anxious about needles and shots too so I get queesy or near pass out and have passed out.
I chose homebirths for my babies. not saying you need to do that but thats a main reason why i did.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:17 PM   #13
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Where in So cal are you? There are a few birth centers, the one that I know is closest to me is in redlands. I would try to find another doctor, asap.. but better yet a midwife.

http://www.socalbirth.com/find-birth...birth-centers/

the one in redlands if you are close. I considered driving to this one when pg with ds2

https://sites.google.com/site/birthcentersite/

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 03-12-2013 at 04:21 PM.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:37 PM   #14
BlissfulMoM
Registered Users

Run, don't walk. Telling you that they will c/s you if you pass out is just craziness. It infuriates me how insensitive doctors can be. I could never trust a HCP who had said something like that to me. Remember, you always have options and you are ultimately in charge of what happens to your own body. Don't let them bully you!

If it is a viable option, I agree, look into a birth center. If not, find a new practice group who is more caring and mother/child centered.
BlissfulMoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:52 PM   #15
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by eahcapemay
I just said "no" to the iv. They gave me the the "you or the baby could die" speech. I didn't even have to sign anything. Just said no a few times and we moved on. But I showed up 9cm and in transition so there wasn't a lot of time for them to hassle me. Just be warned that if they always do IVs then they may have issues giving you meds afterwards. The hospital I was at has a few meds they give after birth and it was a bit of drama to figure out how to get them in me. Eventually I had to have an injection and take a pill for three days. This time I plan to refuse those meds as well.
What are the meds you get that are standard?
Old 03-15-2013, 07:58 PM   #16
PoshPants
Registered
seller

My Mood:

there is no reason for an IV, refuse it
Old 03-15-2013, 09:20 PM   #17
eahcapemay
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
What are the meds you get that are standard?
They gave me a shot of pit to shrink the uterus and maybe expel the placenta? I can't remember if it was out yet. My arm was sore long after my vagina stopped hurting. Also, I had take oral meds for 3 days to prevent bleeding. Apparently they have something they put in your iv to prevent bleeding, and finding the oral equivalent was a bit of pita. There are no birthing centers in my state and obviously driving out of state is out of the question.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:32 PM   #18
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
I went into the ER to deliver my daughter. They tried to put an IV in and I screamed at them that I didn't want it (who wants o get an IV while your pushing a baby out?!).
When I got up to the recovery room the nurse tried to give me the IV and again I said no. The doc told the nurse that there is no reason to put in an IV after the birth as long as a kept massaging my uterus and watching my bleeding. The nurse was pissed but I was happy.
They gave me a shot of petocin in the ER and that's it. The only other meds I took were Ibuprofen.
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #19
newtocloth2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didn't have an IV with my second and third children. There was no need. I also didn't need any pitocin afterwards. I had my second in a hospital and third at a birth center.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:33 AM   #20
bananaclip
Registered Users
seller

My pregnancy has been uncomplicated since the placental separation at 7.5 weeks that healed quickly. (I actually feel good now!) I was not given a birth center option at Kaiser, I don't know that Kaiser has birth centers in SoCal? And the OB said all Kaiser hospitals have the same policy, she did not mention I could choose a BC. Sadly, we cannot transfer out of Kasier into a different insurance, and I am 36.5 weeks now. My plan, oh this is bad, is to arrive at the hospital, check in, then proceed to labor loudly in the lobby upsetting everyone. I plan to refuse to enter the system until I get what I want. If they try to bring me in I will state "I cannot enter L & D because IVs are mandatory and IVs make me pass out." I am having my doctor sign a statement stating she did tell me IVs are mandatory and that she is aware that I have a history of passing out looking at the IV connection in my body. Also she will have to confirm she stated that if I do pass out I will be C-Sectioned." I will labor in the lobby until the staff relents and allows me to enter L&D IV free. I figure half an hour and I will be in. Can you imagine, me screaming in the lobby, ha ha ha. Or, what will they do, make me go outside? Fine, I'll go into the valet area and labor there. People will call the police, the staff will have to let me into L&D. The OB actually said, "The hospital won't admit you without an IV."
I transferred to Kaiser in January. The previous HMO OB office, the Dr. was recommended by a long time doula in the area ($1,600 for the doula service, I cannot afford that) was/is a JOKE. That is a long horror story I cannot write. It started bad. The old HM OB refused to see me for 11 days after my emergency bleed. The ER Dr. said, "rest for now but go see your OB asap for advice. This is not my specialty." Ok, that is reasonable advice, if you don't know you don't know. But for the OB to keep me waiting 11 days, and without ANY phone consultation is practically criminal. I was hysterical on the phone but the receptionist was a psychopath unmoved by my distress. We had just moved from 60 miles away, so at 7.5 weeks I had yet to see the new recommended OB. Since she hadn't seen me yet, she refused to talk to me on the phone. Unbelievable. So to get away from the locked in HMO OB I picked I had to change my whole insurance plan to Kaiser. If we were rich, I would have chosen the PPO, but the co-pays would have broken the bank.

I laugh at the original OB now, the stuff she did was funny. My husband started coming to the appointments and he was amazed, this women, though nice, seemed so very disorganized. My husband cut her off at one point and said, "You read us those labs last time." The other great one-liner, she walks in and looks at my chart and says, "have you seen the perinatalogist yet?" I say in an artificial polite tone, "No I haven't. I haven't because you did not refer me to a perinatologist. Is there a reason I should see one?" She says, "No, never mind." LOL! At this point I am not concerned because I have decided she is a moron and would be transferring to Kaiser. But she was sooo nice, and so cute, and always said "my dear". Idiot women.
bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote