Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-11-2013, 10:25 PM   #1
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:
How do you store clothing?

I am particularly looking for clothes storage solutions for 3 or more kids per bedroom, with no closet. My kids have a closet, but it is full of the bins of non-fittings (too big/too small clothes and shoes) and dress clothes, so we don't access it day to day. Currently we use drawers - each has their own dresser and there are some shared drawers (sports stuff and underwear). My 2 boys are in the same size underwear and also share some socks, also some shirts/nannies. But to be honest, laundry almost never gets put away, we basically pull clean clothes from a basket. Is there a better solution? Bedrooms are on the 2nd floor, laundry is in the basement. I decided the baby was just going to have her own basket, but eventually she will need a dresser... Or something.

Advertisement

Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:
Re: How do you store clothing?

Right now the baby has a dresser in our room. I am not sure what I will do once he moves to the boys' room. I will probably have him share a dresser with our 3 1/2 yr old. His drawers seem to be larger and he uses less of them than our almost 5 yr old. There are 3 drawers on each side of his dresser. It will depend on the bed situation. I am going to get a bunk bed for the older 2 and keep one of the twins for the baby. I am hoping to keep Finn in our room at least another year ( 11 mos old) co-sleeping then in his crib. I might even keep him up in our room longer in a toddler bed (we have a large room) if the boys are still not ready for bunk beds.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

The twins have one of those 9 cube organizer things with bins. Each bin has a purpose, one for shirts, one for socks, one for pants, etc. I like the bins because I can just throw the item inside and it still looks decent. We rarely fold anything . The baby has baskets on her changing station in our room and her own four cube organizer. Honestly, I have tried a dresser, those closet organizing hanging things, and baskets in the closet. The only thing that seems to work is the cube organizer. Plus I like that it is low enough for the girls to get in with out my help, easy to label so if someone else is helping with laundry or getting them dressed they don't have to go through everything, and I can take out a bin or two to bring to the laundry room. I have these organizers for their toys as well
Old 03-16-2013, 09:38 PM   #4
Dahlia64
Banned

We actually turned a section of our home into a family closet. WIth so many clothes to fold and wash every day I figured...whynot? Hubbys and my own clothes arent in there (they are in our dressers in our bedroom) But everyone elses is and so is our extra bedding. Right now we are using these....Hubby made one for each kid...it works right now..I have seasonal clothes in totes stacked. Want to figure out something different but for now...this works. They were easy for hubby to build and they look nice too! Each kid has two of those single drawer totes on top...One for socks and one for underware.
Here is the link
http://ana-white.com/2010/11/laundry-basket-dresser

Hope this helps! I got all my laundry baskets at Doller General too!
Dahlia64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
812ajack
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlia64 View Post
We actually turned a section of our home into a family closet. WIth so many clothes to fold and wash every day I figured...whynot? Hubbys and my own clothes arent in there (they are in our dressers in our bedroom) But everyone elses is and so is our extra bedding. Right now we are using these....Hubby made one for each kid...it works right now..I have seasonal clothes in totes stacked. Want to figure out something different but for now...this works. They were easy for hubby to build and they look nice too! Each kid has two of those single drawer totes on top...One for socks and one for underware.
Here is the link
http://ana-white.com/2010/11/laundry-basket-dresser

Hope this helps! I got all my laundry baskets at Doller General too!
That site has so many cute ideas
Old 03-17-2013, 08:01 PM   #6
Robin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Like you, bedrooms are upstairs, laundry is in the basement. The older 3 kids have plastic "drawers" under their beds - like underbed storage drawers- since they dress themselves and put away their own clothes. The kids I need to dress have their clothes on the 1st floor. We have a sunroom/office/guest bedroom off the living room, and I keep a dresser with a changing pad on top in there. That way I can change diapers and clothes and still have an idea what all the other kids are doing. We minimize clothes so 2 kids' clothes fit in 1 small dresser. I have a wire shelf next to the dresser were cloth diapers are kept, and I hang the girl's dresses off the top of that shelf.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:04 AM   #7
Lisathena
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We did this:

http://z-crew.blogspot.com/2012/02/weekend-project.html

I love this set up so so so very much!! We are about to have 5 kids 9 and under and the only clothes in their rooms is pajama's and those are all in the girls room, they all have 1 drawer ea for jammies
Lisathena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:27 AM   #8
Alikhlas
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinpossible
The twins have one of those 9 cube organizer things with bins. Each bin has a purpose, one for shirts, one for socks, one for pants, etc. I like the bins because I can just throw the item inside and it still looks decent. We rarely fold anything . The baby has baskets on her changing station in our room and her own four cube organizer. Honestly, I have tried a dresser, those closet organizing hanging things, and baskets in the closet. The only thing that seems to work is the cube organizer. Plus I like that it is low enough for the girls to get in with out my help, easy to label so if someone else is helping with laundry or getting them dressed they don't have to go through everything, and I can take out a bin or two to bring to the laundry room. I have these organizers for their toys as well
I have the same system and love it ikea and target both carry the cube organizers.
Alikhlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:59 PM   #9
musicmom2x
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just wondering if you have room in the basement for those totes that are currently in the closet. I have heavy duty plastic utility shelves I got at Target? for tote storage in the basement of all those totes of outgrown and next size up kids clothes. It would definitely make some space for you!
Old 04-15-2013, 09:42 PM   #10
bai18176
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I keep thinking about a family closet, but our closet is the best spot, and there's always a baby in there The clothes do get to be very overwhelming though!