Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-12-2013, 08:13 AM   #1
momgoddesswife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question WWDY if your child had a life shortening genetic disorder?

I had an experience yesterday that got me thinking and wondering about this.

If your child was diagnosed with a recessive genetic disorder with a life expectancy of 20-30 would you do extensive medical treatments to treat their symptoms along the way, ie. bone marrow transplants, chemo therapy etc.?
Would you participate in covered occupational therapy, physical therapy and speech therapy?
Would you save for their education?

Advertisement

"It's the little details that are vital. Little things make big things happen.~John Wooden"
ISO: WCW cuffed longies or bloomers size Small
momgoddesswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:21 AM   #2
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:
Re: WWDY if your child had a life shortening genetic disorder?

It would depend. Once I got past the whole grieving process, and there is a grieving process with something like this, I'd have to look at the evidence - does those treatments have a good track record of helping lengthen their life without unduly reducing the quality of life? Sometimes the treatments are essentially busy work to make the person or their family feel like they're doing things to save them, but are ultimately stealing what years they have to try to give them more. If there was a good chance it could be cured or thrown into remission for several years, then yes of course.

As far as saving for education, I probably would. Not in a registered plan where the money must be used for education, but in a different form where the money could go to something else that might enrich their life. If they end up using it for education, great, but they may need something else instead.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:21 AM   #3
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:

Of course I would do everything I could medically to make their life better and healthier. Twenty to thirty years is a long time and I would want them to have everything they need regardless of how long they live. And I would do these things for a child who will make it two years,every life is precious and there are no guarantees on how long anyone will live.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:22 AM   #4
PBAki
Registered Users

My Mood:

Whatever it takes for less suffering and more comfortable life for the child to enjoy the life to the fullest. If that means getting a second or third job to support the child then by all means.
PBAki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:23 AM   #5
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computermama View Post
It would depend. Once I got past the whole grieving process, and there is a grieving process with something like this, I'd have to look at the evidence - does those treatments have a good track record of helping lengthen their life without unduly reducing the quality of life? Sometimes the treatments are essentially busy work to make the person or their family feel like they're doing things to save them, but are ultimately stealing what years they have to try to give them more. If there was a good chance it could be cured or thrown into remission for several years, then yes of course.

As far as saving for education, I probably would. Not in a registered plan where the money must be used for education, but in a different form where the money could go to something else that might enrich their life. If they end up using it for education, great, but they may need something else instead.
I agree.

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.
somo_chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:25 AM   #6
ajbailey89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computermama View Post

Exactly. Especially to the bolded.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:26 AM   #7
BoyCrazy
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would pursue treatments that would maintain comfort and quality of life. So probably not chemo, unless there was a fair chance that it could cure the disease.
I think I would still plan on education, wedding expenses, etc, unless the child was too disabled for those things to be practical. Maybe put that money towards travel and experiences instead--making family memories with the time we have.

Hope everything's ok, OP.
BoyCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #8
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
My Mood:

Yes, 30 years is just an estimate, and 30 years in terms of medical advancement could be VERY significant in treatment for a genetic condition. The child could live much longer or shorter depending on the treatments and response to treatment, but I would plan long term for them just like I would any other child. I know several children who were given a 10 yr estimate, and went on to live 20 years beyond that and are still alive today because of medical advancements.
rumblepurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #9
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

Like a PP, I would heavily research all treatment options and decide if the side effects were worth the intended effects. IMO, many times they are not. Also once the child was "old enough" I would let them help make those decisions, it is their life after all.

We would definitely be putting money aside for him/her but it wouldn't strictly be for education.
theonenonlymrssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #10
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Yes. Things change quickly in the medical field. I could never live my life "planning" for my child to die.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote