Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-12-2013, 02:17 PM   #1
LittleABC
Registered Users
Formerly: greenfamily9200
seller
seller

My Mood:
help. how do you get a job when you haven't worked in 5 years

Please help. My dh is laid off. I want to apply for work but I haven't worked in 5 years. Won't that look bad on an application?

Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #2
newcdmommy29
Registered Users
seller

I'd make sure to put on your résumé why you weren't working. (Sahm or whatever) is also put on there volunteer activities you have done. Depending on your field you may have a harder time finding something than other fields. Oh, also, if you do continuing education be sure to show everything you have done. Good luck mama!!!
newcdmommy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:44 PM   #3
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Re: help. how do you get a job when you haven't worked in 5 years

I have found that this totally and completely depends on what you are applying for. If you are doing some entry level retail stuff, no one cares. They might ask in the interview, but they don't really care about the answer.

If you are applying for something like IT tech support or something, it's going to make a HUGE difference and be a pretty big problem.

I would absolutely not put on your resume that you were a SAHM. It might be illegal to discriminate against someone due to family status, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen and you would never know the reason your resume got trashed. I WOULD make a resume that is more skills based and less chronological based. I can't really elaborate past that, but if you google resume help you can probably find all sorts of resume formats and tips to help you. What you want to do is not necessarily hid the gap, but make it so that it's not obvious and make it so that the things you do well are the obvious things.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:04 PM   #4
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:

Kandy - you need what is called a "functional resume". It highlights your skills not your work experience.
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:27 PM   #5
LittleABC
Registered Users
Formerly: greenfamily9200
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom1mg View Post
Kandy - you need what is called a "functional resume". It highlights your skills not your work experience.
Ha! I have no skills. Lol.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:55 PM   #6
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

What kind of job are you looking for? That will help with advice.
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:16 PM   #7
nachoslyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotLad View Post
What kind of job are you looking for? That will help with advice.
Agreed.

As a basic definitely do not put SAHM on your resume. If anything mention it sparingly in the cover letter along with a quick, "trying to get back into the workplace" bit... Regardless once they see the year of your last work experience they will as the appropriate questions in the interview. Volunteer activities are a plus. A bit of more information will help provide more advice though.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:27 PM   #8
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:

Ok you have skills!!! Do you need help with what to put? If you either post here or PM with your past experience, what kind of job you want, what you are good at (either paid or not paid things) then we can help you write your resume.
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:35 PM   #9
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
I have found that this totally and completely depends on what you are applying for. If you are doing some entry level retail stuff, no one cares. They might ask in the interview, but they don't really care about the answer.

If you are applying for something like IT tech support or something, it's going to make a HUGE difference and be a pretty big problem.

I would absolutely not put on your resume that you were a SAHM. It might be illegal to discriminate against someone due to family status, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen and you would never know the reason your resume got trashed. I WOULD make a resume that is more skills based and less chronological based. I can't really elaborate past that, but if you google resume help you can probably find all sorts of resume formats and tips to help you. What you want to do is not necessarily hid the gap, but make it so that it's not obvious and make it so that the things you do well are the obvious things.
This. Also, cast a WIDE net. Send your resume all over the place. Even if people aren't asking for employees, I still asked places I frequented, like if our dental office was willing to hold on to my resume, etc. That way they already know you on a somewhat personal level and your face will pop up in their mind when an opening comes along. This doesnt work if you just ask your ideal places to work, but it works if you are casting that wide net and leaving your contacts everywhere. I feel like it's important to put a face to your resume so that you seem more human instead of just words on a computer screen. Because someone else will have your skills AND be currently employed, but few people get their face out there anymore...everyone just sends things in online...it makes you stand out.

Become a networking maniac.

Last edited by harmoni247; 03-12-2013 at 05:36 PM.
harmoni247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:29 AM   #10
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh me too. I think I figure my best bet at this time is to try to find something through the network of people I already know, where I previously worked etc. Anything you have done during this time, even if it was not related to your career, is worth something!