Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-12-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
Christylkeller
Registered Users

My Mood:
My VBA3C birth

Birth Story of Gideon Chase Keller

I want to preface this by saying that I have NEVER had a vaginal birth before… this is my VBA3C!!

On March 4th, 2013 I woke up to pee at 5:30 in the morning. While walking to the bathroom I noticed some *extra* discharge, but it was one of those passing thoughts. After I finished peeing, I realized that there was still fluid flowing and it wasn’t urine, so I put on a pad and walked back to the bedroom to wake hubby up and let him know that my water had broken. While leaning over the bed, I felt another gush and a trickle down my leg, so we both went to the bathroom. More came out in the toilet. Hubby got me a clean pair of panties and I put another pad on, this time one of those super-size ones. When I stood up, another gush… so, we put yet another pad on and took a hand towel, rolled it up and put that on top of the pad too. I wasn’t contracting, and knew this would be a long day and I should get more sleep, so now that I was protected and we protected the bed, I went back to sleep for 2 hours. When I woke up not much was different… still leaking fluid and still not contracting. I got a hold of my friend who was keeping my 3 children and who also happened to be a former L & D nurse. She told me to get moving around to get contractions started and to keep her posted as to our plans. So, I got up and started doing some stuff and finished packing for the hospital taking breaks as needed. By 2pm still nothing was happening, so I called my Dr. She suggested a labor cocktail and emailed me the recipe and had me come in for a NST to see what was going on and to make sure the baby was doing well. So, we made a plan for me to be there in 2 hours (it takes an hour to get there and I needed to shower 1st and drop the kiddos off at the friends home).
When I arrived at the Dr’s office, they took me in and got me hooked up to the NST machine. They had me hooked up for 20 mins and baby looked great and I had 1 contraction that whole time. Dr. D came in and looked at the results and we formulated a plan. Since we had decided to stay in town and get a hotel room, we would also try the labor cocktail to get things moving. She warned us that it really has a 50/50 chance of working, so she couldn’t promise us anything or even tell us how long It would take to work if it did work. We also planned that in the even that nothing got started than she would meet us at L & D the next morning at 10 to do the c/section. She also did an U/S to confirm that baby was head down (because otherwise all of this planning wouldn’t even matter and it showed that there wasn’t any water). So, we left in search of a hotel to get settled into and hubby went to get us dinner and to buy my *cocktail* ingredients. I drank the *cocktail* around 730 and ate dinner and waited. Within an hour my system started clearing itself out and at 1030 the contractions started. They came every 3 to 4 mins apart lasting a minute to a minute and a half. My plan was to avoid the hospital for as long as possible, but by 1230, I just couldn’t handle the hotel room any longer, so we went to the hospital. When we got there, they got us situated; I was checked and was a disappointing 1.5 cm dilated. Dr. D came in around 2am to check on me. She opted to not check me since I wanted limited checks after a membrane rupture. After she left, I felt my coping skills shriveling away due to lack of sleep, so I opted to get an epidural which made me nice a comfy and I was able to sleep. When Dr. D came back at 6am she checked me and I was a stretchy 3-4 cm and 70% effaced. Not the progress I was hoping for, especially since we had now passed the 24 hour mark, but it was progress and that is all Dr. D wanted to see along with a healthy looking baby on the monitors. So, we pressed on. I slept on and off (not sure why I was so tired, but I was). Dr. D came back at 10 to check me and I was 5-6 cm dilated and 80% effaced… again, slow progression, but progress just the same and baby looked great. Sometime in the mid afternoon after a nap on my right side, I woke up to complete feeling in my right leg and contractions on my right side. They called anesthesia back up here and he told me that I needed to be on my right side to even things out (this is AFTER I told him that I had been napping on my right side for 2 hours). He supposedly gave me a bolus and went on his merry way. Well within the next 2 hours my other side *woke up* and I could feel EVERYTHING. He came back up and said he would have to redo the site. It felt like eternity for him to get it redone. The contractions were awful and I still had limited movement of my left leg, so it left very little movement to cope with the pain. It turns out that I wasn’t CRAZY… the tubing had come out and was running the meds down my back. DUH… couldn’t he have seen this earlier!! I have to say though that once his epidural took, it was AWESOME! The 1st one left me too numb… almost like a c/section epidural… but this one was great. I could move my legs on my own and feel light pressure from the contractions but no pain. Dr. D came in around 2pm to check me again and I had made it up to a 7-8 cm and 90%!! Woohoo! We were getting there. And baby still looked great. She came back at 4pm and I was 9 and 100%, so she decided to see what I could do pushing wise. Baby was still high at a -2 to -1 station and had stayed that way the entire time. So, I gave her a couple of *practice* pushes and really moved baby down and my cervix finished dilating. So, here we go!!! She got me all set up and had my hubby gown and glove up since he would be doing the actual delivery. She also set a mirror up for me so that I could see what was happening. Baby looked great the ENTIRE time… until he was crowning. I wasn’t aware of anything being amiss and neither was my hubby. He was able to deliver the head and when Dr. D checked for a cord, she found that it was wrapped FOUR TIMES around his neck! No wonder he was suddenly in distress! She then helped my hubby to deliver the rest of the body. Gideon arrived into this world at 4:39pm, a mere 20 mins after I started pushing. He was born a bit *juicy* and needed to be suctioned out quite heavily and it took a while before he let out any lusty cry. He weighed in at 8lbs, my heaviest baby and was 20.5”. He is a calm, sweet baby and a fabulous eater!

Some notes of retrospect… I think the things that really made this VBA3C so successful was the slow labor progression, the even contractions staying at 3-4 mins apart and lasting a minuteish and baby continually looking great on the monitor. Only God could have worked out such detail and we truly see His hand in this whole experience. Also, a cord wrapped 4 times around the neck often leads to catastrophic events and we know God was protecting our little warrior.

Thanks for reading and sharing in our very special day!

Advertisement

Homeschooling mom to A- '01, M- '05, E- '08 and G born 3/5/13 VBA3C

Always missing my 17 weeker E 7/25/11
Christylkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:58 PM   #2
Sugar&SpiceX3
Registered Users
seller

Re: My VBA3C birth

That's awesome!!! Congrats!!
Sugar&SpiceX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
ajbailey89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Fabulous, mama! WAY TO GO!
Old 03-12-2013, 07:03 PM   #4
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

Great story mama! I am glad you got your VBAC!
Old 03-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #5
lilbitcrunchy
Registered Users
Formerly: lovnbabygabi
seller

My Mood:

Absolutely amazing, im so happy for you!!!
Old 03-12-2013, 07:57 PM   #6
Lady_B
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
What an amazing story!! Mind if I ask why the first 3 were c/s??? I have 2 c/sand if we have a third I really want a vba2c
Owner and designer of Butterfly Elephants, waldorf style dolls
Lady_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:57 PM   #7
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Congratulations! Sounds like a great birth.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:46 PM   #8
Christylkeller
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_B View Post
What an amazing story!! Mind if I ask why the first 3 were c/s??? I have 2 c/sand if we have a third I really want a vba2c
My 1st c/s was due to distress which I think was due to my midwife pushing me to speed up labor with breaking my water and then adding in pitocin... it was after the pit was started that he started his distress signs.

2nd c/s was due to a failed induction attempt

3rd c/s was because I was told I had no other choice

I am EXTREMELY blessed to have found a Dr that supported me in my quest for a VBAC even after 3 c/s. Most Dr in my area won't do a VBAC after 1 c/s. While the hospital staff was *supportive* of what we were doing, we constantly heard about what a risk this was and we needed to be prepared... blah, blah, blah... we had 1 nurse from the nursery come in to give us some info and tell us that she thought what we were attempting was great and that was soooo very nice to hear.

Best wishes if you do go for the VBA2C. It was an amazing experience for me and I hope you can have that experience too!

Homeschooling mom to A- '01, M- '05, E- '08 and G born 3/5/13 VBA3C

Always missing my 17 weeker E 7/25/11
Christylkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:02 AM   #9
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Great story mama. I had an epi with my VBAC too. It's one of those things they say not to do, but I think sometimes we're so stressed about whether or not our bodies can handle the birth that there' not much coping left! Mine was a 'walking' epidural, like what you described the second time and did allow me to rest until it was time to push. I'm really glad I made the decision to get it because before I did I made very little progress.

Anyway, I'm super happy for you that you got your VBA3C, your little guy is a warrior, but so are you!!
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:06 AM   #10
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow! Congratulations.