Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-13-2013, 07:55 AM   #1
crunchymamaNY
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Stupidest Midwife Appointment Ever Today

Today, I had my regular monthly appointment with the midwife, but today I get the "privelage" of getting a student midwife. Yes, she was nice. And yes, she was totally clueless!

It took her several minutes to try to find the baby's heart beat, and what did she do? Took mine instead by accident!! I told her it was too slow to be the baby's heart beat, and she said, "yeah, I think you're right". Duh. Finally, she got a glimpse of a heart beat (because baby did keep moving) and she heard like 4-5 thumps, and said, "sounds good. Prob in the 140's 150's or so). She didn't even listen to the beating for more than a second! It was just a big ol guess!

I thought, ok no biggie since the midwife will come in and check anyway. But she didn't! She came in after the student was done and said, "do you have any concerns?" I wanted to say, yeah your student midwife is less than capable!!! But, I shut my mouth because I have an ultrasound tomorrow anyway, and since I feel baby move, I'm not totally concerned.

I just had to vent. I would have liked to know the baby's real heart beat, and not a scary guesstamate.

Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013, 08:01 AM   #2
smplmama
Registered Users
seller

Re: Stupidest Midwife Appointment Ever Today

Sounds like you should mention something to your midwife. She probably has no idea how unhappy you were with the visit.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:02 AM   #3
Busymama3
Registered Users

You are nicer than I am. I would of told her to leave! Lol.
Busymama3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:05 AM   #4
daisy0306
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would tell the midwife. She's not going to be able to help teach her student properly if she doesn't get any feedback.
daisy0306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:08 AM   #5
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy0306
I would tell the midwife. She's not going to be able to help teach her student properly if she doesn't get any feedback.
Yea. Personally I only feel comfortable with a student midwife if a certified mw is there too. Id say something

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:53 AM   #6
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow! She sounds like a resident that I saw the day I gave birth to my DS. She came in to do an ultrasound to see how the baby was positioned. I was 38 weeks and this was a planned c-section. She looked low and couldn't find my son's head. Finally after several minutes she all but ran out of the room to get my OB. My OB comes in and says "Max has a head!!" She looked high and my son was breach and his head was near my rib cage.

At no point was I really concerned as I had had SEVERAL ultrasounds at that point and all of them my son had a head (which BTW he still does), but it made me wonder how she got as far as she did not realizing that a baby without a head, wouldn't get to 38 weeks!

I hope your midwife is able to help you next time you see her.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:30 AM   #7
crunchymamaNY
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I"m sure baby is fine. It's kicking around in there and stuff, and I got to hear the 4 beats of the heart. As for the midwife student, I found it to be odd, and if I was the student and coudn't find the heart, I'd make sure to let the MW know because it's a baby's life at stake.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #8
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

Sorry mama! I've been there--on both sides! I was a nursing student and got chewed out plenty by patients who felt I was wasting their time. It's hard because you don't learn without doing, so you just smile and pretend you don't feel as stupid as you look.

On the other hand...
Before I became a mom I was without health insurance and had to go to a free community clinic. I went there for a cough and these two (male) med school students saw me and decided I needed an STI exam. Uh, no, I've had one partner for 5 years and have never had an STI. They argued with me and finally I told them they weren't going to get anywhere near my junk and if they didn't like it they could take a hike. A real doctor overheard the commotion and took them into the hall to hear their side. After some furtive whispers I hear the doctor through the door shouting at them, "What the he** is wrong with you two? Are you this desperate for women!?" He made them come in and apologize to me.

And then, of course, I had not one but several OB students take turns sewing up my episiotomy. They had to re-inject the lidocaine 3 times because it took them freaking forever, meanwhile I'm trying to initiate breastfeeding my newborn while a dozen people stare at and critique the stitches going into my privates. Ugh.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #9
blessed1018
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would say something to the midwife for sure. Normally...at least in my experience...the midwife is right there during prenatals unless the student is about to be done with training. Obviously this student is not to that point (or I hope not). Once the midwife knows she can correct the problem with the student and going forward you won't have that happen - or another mom!

I hope this doesn't turn you off from students completely. I will be a student midwife in the next couple of years and I hope to make moms comfortable having me around! I had a student midwife help catch my son. (This time around I am going to catch).