Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-13-2013, 03:41 PM   #11
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

These were all great suggestions ladies! Honestly, I don't think my husbands scared that a vbac would be dangerous to me or the baby. I honestly think he wants a repeat csection because it would be planned! He is very type a and does not like things to go not as planned.

I am going to get all the info from my doctor and tell my husband and see what he thinks. I guess if he is very against it I am going to have the csection but I have a lot of time to decide which is good

Thanks for all the support mamas!

Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #12
Sarahknavy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by UVASahm
These were all great suggestions ladies! Honestly, I don't think my husbands scared that a vbac would be dangerous to me or the baby. I honestly think he wants a repeat csection because it would be planned! He is very type a and does not like things to go not as planned.

I am going to get all the info from my doctor and tell my husband and see what he thinks. I guess if he is very against it I am going to have the csection but I have a lot of time to decide which is good

Thanks for all the support mamas!
I totally understand. Our hospital was 45 min away and we had a toddler. But... There are numerous occasions where people go into labor before their scheduled csection. So be prepared either way!
Old 03-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #13
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Am I a good candidate? (Sorry, long!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UVASahm View Post
I can sympathize with the desire to have a plan, and to have some say in how things go, but I really truly hope that you won't feel pressured into having a repeat c-section just so that he can feel "in control" of the situation! And, as the PP mentioned, things can deviate from the plan no matter what course you choose.

Hope you can come to a decision that you're both at peace with. All the best!
Old 03-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #14
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Was just thinking about your thread and wanted to add one more thing - you listed your size and your baby's size, which makes me think that you are worried that you had a c-section because your baby was on the bigger size. But, a big baby wouldn't stop you from dilating, which seems to be what happened to you.
Generally, a woman doesn't progress in labor because of a few things.
1. The baby is in a bad position. Posterior, or head angled off to the side, or whatever. Chiropractic care during pregnancy, using some of the maneuvers from the Spinning Babies website, and then staying active during labor and using different positions (with waters intact if possible, so that baby has a little extra room to move) can help get the baby into a good position to be born. An epidural keeps you flat on your back, which is not helpful for getting a poorly positioned baby straightened out.
2. The woman has some deep-seated fears or emotional issues that are keeping her from progressing. Oxytocin is the hormone of labor, and if you are really scared or stressed, your body won't release enough oxytocin for an effective labor.
3. The woman is uncomfortable with someone giving her care. Maybe a shift change, and a new nurse, or a doctor who is too abrupt or cold, or whatever. Someone new or someone you're uncomfortable with can really hinder your progress in labor.

Chances are good that one or more of these things were an issue in your first delivery, and those could definitely be managed or avoided the second time around. As I said before, you'd be a great candidate for a VBAC, with the right support.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #15
Peanutsmama2b
Registered Users
seller

I would go to your next appointment and discuss VBAC with your doctor and tell him about how concerned your hubby is and ask if the doc would be able to present the benefits and risks of both to your hubby objectively at the next appt. Sometimes hearing it from an objective 3rd party is the best way to convince a stubborn hubby.
Peanutsmama2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:32 PM   #16
bethdrews
Registered Users
seller

I agree with last poster. Have your husband go to an appmnt and address all concerns with the doctor. Pray for a heart change in him wanting to be in control?!?

I tried for a VBA2C with my last. My dr was 3 hrs away. My husband wasn't really excited about driving 3 hrs with a high risk woman in labor, but my doctor assured him we would have plenty of time and answered all his questions. He committed and it all worked out! One thing that helped him was to know where other hospitals were along the way in case we needed to stop.
bethdrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #17
bruenderbaby
Registered Users

My Mood:

Well, I think it is awesome that your doc has already brought up the vbac option, knowing you are going to want many more children. My first doc mentioned a repeat c-sec the day after I had my first. I have since successfully had two vbacs (with a different dr). Oh, and my last ds was over 10 lbs after my first 'wouldn't fit' sunny-side up at 7.5 lbs.

One thing you can mention to your dh is that the more c-secs you have, the more dangerous they are for you, baby, and future babies. (Yes, some women can have many without complications, but the stats speak for themselves. Women can have complications with vaginal births too. It's still safer than major abdominal surgery.) You can also have him read up on what they actually do to you for a c-sec. Like rip apart you ab muscles (one person on each side pulling with the full weight) and pulling out all of your internal organs and setting them on a table. It's really aweful when you think about it, which is why it should only be done when absolutely necessary. Vbacs, on the other hand, are safer the more you have. Future pregnancies are still at risk for placenta issues, but they don't keep multiplying with the scars.

I am also traditional Catholic . . . so you could explain to your husband that after a couple more children, celibacy is always an option! :P
Old 07-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #18
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yay for your doctor suggesting VBAC! I had to fight tooth and nail for both my VBAC's! I had to drive an hour and a half to a different area to see an OB that was "VBAC friendly" because there are none in my area.

That said I'm sorry your husband is so set on a repeat section and if I wasn't thinking of his reasons for the section (planning) and your reasons against it (to safely have many children)- how about your recovery and being able to care for a new baby? I would NEVER have major surgery that was medically unnecessary- I don't care what the reason was! I've had 4 vaginal births and one section- I know the difference in recovery. The more children I had to care for- the more important it became that I achieved a VBAC.

Good luck and I hope you get the birth you want
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:06 PM   #19
sublime.mommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Cricket~ View Post
1. The baby is in a bad position. Posterior, or head angled off to the side, or whatever. Chiropractic care during pregnancy, using some of the maneuvers from the Spinning Babies website, and then staying active during labor and using different positions (with waters intact if possible, so that baby has a little extra room to move) can help get the baby into a good position to be born. An epidural keeps you flat on your back, which is not helpful for getting a poorly positioned baby straightened out.
2. The woman has some deep-seated fears or emotional issues that are keeping her from progressing. Oxytocin is the hormone of labor, and if you are really scared or stressed, your body won't release enough oxytocin for an effective labor.
3. The woman is uncomfortable with someone giving her care. Maybe a shift change, and a new nurse, or a doctor who is too abrupt or cold, or whatever. Someone new or someone you're uncomfortable with can really hinder your progress in labor.

Chances are good that one or more of these things were an issue in your first delivery, and those could definitely be managed or avoided the second time around. As I said before, you'd be a great candidate for a VBAC, with the right support.
This^ and to add to it, simply heading to the unfamiliarity of the hospital so early in labor (not to mention the loss of control that a hospital brings--his anxiety, acknowleged or not, could contribute to your state of mind) can trigger anxiety and fear that prevents progression. Someone who's only in the very early stages of labor and not in the right mindset can clam up and not even drugs can force the birth.
Water breaking (so long as it's not black/green) is not a signal to rush to the hospital. Relax and allow labor to get to a quick pace before heading in. You've got a whole day or longer even (depending on the caregiver) before ruptured membranes pose even a slight risk.

Even if you ultimately choose repeat sec, going into labor is good for the baby. Those squeezes from the contractions are important preparation for baby's lung's first breath.
Don't choose repeat section based on wanting to schedule the birth. You should go into labor spontaneously, call and let the doc know it's time, schedule the surgery then, labor for a good while and then check in for the surgery.
Also, if you repeat section, be sure to request that when you're sewn up it is done in two stitches, the uterus first then the muscle. A lot of drs are saving time by doing it in one stitch and that is a big factor in increased risk of rupture, especially when uterine stimulants are used or with multiple surgeries.

Ultimately, a vbac is safer for you, baby, future babies and your long term health. That's what's important here.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #20
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime.mommy View Post
This^ and to add to it, simply heading to the unfamiliarity of the hospital so early in labor (not to mention the loss of control that a hospital brings--his anxiety, acknowleged or not, could contribute to your state of mind) can trigger anxiety and fear that prevents progression. Someone who's only in the very early stages of labor and not in the right mindset can clam up and not even drugs can force the birth.
Water breaking (so long as it's not black/green) is not a signal to rush to the hospital. Relax and allow labor to get to a quick pace before heading in. You've got a whole day or longer even (depending on the caregiver) before ruptured membranes pose even a slight risk.

Even if you ultimately choose repeat sec, going into labor is good for the baby. Those squeezes from the contractions are important preparation for baby's lung's first breath.
Don't choose repeat section based on wanting to schedule the birth. You should go into labor spontaneously, call and let the doc know it's time, schedule the surgery then, labor for a good while and then check in for the surgery.
Also, if you repeat section, be sure to request that when you're sewn up it is done in two stitches, the uterus first then the muscle. A lot of drs are saving time by doing it in one stitch and that is a big factor in increased risk of rupture, especially when uterine stimulants are used or with multiple surgeries.

Ultimately, a vbac is safer for you, baby, future babies and your long term health. That's what's important here.
My section was a single layer closure because at that hospital once a section, always a section. I was never notified or given an option. When I first went to an OB for my next pregnancy- he told me he wouldn't VBAC me with a single layer closure and neither would any other OB. He was wrong! I had 2 successful VBAC's with no complications!
Also studies seem to be disagreeing that it makes much difference:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10796177
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3421916/
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT

Last edited by 4boys1girlforme; 07-09-2013 at 12:59 PM.
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote