Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-31-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
steely_cass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
If you were feeding a bunch of college aged boys....

And wanted to do it cheaply, what would you feed them?

DH is a new campus minister and part of our ministry is providing a home cooked meals for the kids before their weekly meeting. Right now, we just have boys involved. Last week there were 4 boys, plus DH, DD and myself. There were 35 tacos eaten, 4 lbs of meat, 2 packs of Mexican rice, 2 big cans of refried beans, plus LOTS of fixings...I just knew that I had made way too much, but they wiped it out.

So, if you had to feed them on a weekly basis cheaply (max of $100) what would you feed them?

So far my thoughts are spaghetti, chili, burgers and hot dogs, chicken spaghetti....What else?

Advertisement

and Wilder (July '14)
steely_cass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
Hitchkids
Registered Users

Re: If you were feeding a bunch of college aged boys....

Spaghetti (but 3 college age boys can eat 3 lbs of spaghetti so plan big), pulled pork using pork shoulder which is inexpensive, chili and corn bread, BBQ chicken legs. Ask them what they miss from home or what they'd like to get some more ideas. That would likely be the best option because you'd hate to make something they didn't like (although it's kind of hard to find something a bunch of boys that age won't devour in general).
Hitchkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:32 PM   #3
hbee
Registered Users
seller
seller

Wow. Pulled pork sandwiches?
hbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
greenMImama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steely_cass View Post
And wanted to do it cheaply, what would you feed them?

DH is a new campus minister and part of our ministry is providing a home cooked meals for the kids before their weekly meeting. Right now, we just have boys involved. Last week there were 4 boys, plus DH, DD and myself. There were 35 tacos eaten, 4 lbs of meat, 2 packs of Mexican rice, 2 big cans of refried beans, plus LOTS of fixings...I just knew that I had made way too much, but they wiped it out.

So, if you had to feed them on a weekly basis cheaply (max of $100) what would you feed them?

So far my thoughts are spaghetti, chili, burgers and hot dogs, chicken spaghetti....What else?
HOLY COW, 6 adults and 1 little girl ate 4lbs of meat on tacos?

I have 3 boys, what have I gotten myself into, yikes My suggestion would be lasagna, I know sometimes it isn't cheap but they have yummy ones at Costco for a big pan is $12, so you could easily get enough for $100 with all the fixins

240/2014
greenMImama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:40 PM   #5
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Since they are probably usually eating campus food they must love getting comfort food which is probably contributing to the large amount of food they are consuming.

I agree that adding extras to the meal can stretch your meal and budget. So like previous poster mentioned some cornbread, some garlic bread when serving Italian, an additional side dish that goes with your main dish.

Also they will probably consume what you put out. My Ds was going to meetings with other high schoolers and the hostess was serving a large pizza. They held back and politely ate their slice. Finally someone told the hostess that a party pizza was actually what was usually ordered. They ate the whole thing.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here. I Twice $10 off on your first order at Twice.
Agla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:58 PM   #6
steely_cass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenMImama View Post
HOLY COW, 6 adults and 1 little girl ate 4lbs of meat on tacos?

I have 3 boys, what have I gotten myself into, yikes
Get ready! Seeing as DH, DD and I normally eat 1/2 lb of meat when we have tacos (and generally have a bit left over), it's really 4 boys ate 3.5 lbs of taco meat. I kept having to remind myself to not look at them with a horrified face while they chowed down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
Also they will probably consume what you put out. My Ds was going to meetings with other high schoolers and the hostess was serving a large pizza. They held back and politely ate their slice. Finally someone told the hostess that a party pizza was actually what was usually ordered. They ate the whole thing.
You're probably right on this one. I originally thought I would make way more than necessary so they could stop by the next day and have leftovers for lunch, but I'm thinking I'm going to have to abandon that thought and just get them fed!
and Wilder (July '14)
steely_cass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:24 PM   #7
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Shepherd's Pie: Ground beef, brown gravy, green beans covered is mashed potatoes. You can skimp on the meat because the potatoes are so filling.
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:27 PM   #8
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Breakfast: Pancakes or Waffles, fresh fruit. French Toast (great because you can buy day old bread!)

Mountain Man Breakfast: Shredded potatoes, sausage, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, eggs. Season with Mrs. Dash.

Tuna Casserole (I like mine with curry powder!)
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:36 PM   #9
greenMImama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Also, if I was feeding college kids I would bake something from scratch, whatever you are comfortable with, I personally would do choc chip cookies, I mean wouldn't that say homey to have them come in and the house smells like fresh baked cookies, one of my favorites!!

240/2014
greenMImama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:59 PM   #10
drabekgirl
Registered Users

potato bar would be cheap. When I was in college we had chicken chili and regular chili served by our SS teachers. Anything with meat as the main is going to be more expensive, so burgers will be expensive and for hotdogs I would plan atleast 3 per male. chicken noodle soup would be a nice comfort food in the cold weather month and its not all that expensive.