Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #31
mrscompgeek
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Hypothyroid- talk to me!

We also have a place called "Labcorp" that we can get blood work done without Dr's orders. Its more expensive but I might do that if they wont do a full Thyroid blood work at my Dr's. We have great insurance with only 10% I have to pay so its definetly cheaper with my Drs orders.

Advertisement

mrscompgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #32
champatlife
Registered Users
seller

I'd prob go to your primary care doc with everything, and start from scratch if the OB didn't test it, and directly ask to test your t4 and t3.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #33
mrscompgeek
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by champatlife View Post
I'd prob go to your primary care doc with everything, and start from scratch if the OB didn't test it, and directly ask to test your t4 and t3.
I just called and my Family Dr cant see me til May. Dang.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #34
champatlife
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscompgeek View Post
I just called and my Family Dr cant see me til May. Dang.
wow that's such a long ways out, maybe they have a cancellation list they can put you on? So they can possibly get you in sooner.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:38 PM   #35
neonalee
Registered Users
seller
seller

I recently discovered I was hypo due to a huge goiter on my neck. The doctors don't think I'm hypo and the ENT wanted to remove my thyroid. I almost did it and I'm so glad I finally found the info not to. I suggest reading the site Stop The Thyroid Madness. There are a lot of resources there.

I am now taking iodine supplements and a bunch of supporting supplements as I've read many reports of goiter (and problem thyroid) being solved this way. The Thyroid is extremely complex and can cause all kinds of symptoms. Many doctors don't really understand it very well, even if they think they do. I had to do a lot of searching for a good doctor. And I can't see him until May.
neonalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #36
mrscompgeek
Registered Users
seller
seller

I got the paper result today in the mail. She did NOT do all the thyroid test. She only did TSH . . Grrrr. I'm calling my family Doc monday and asking if they can order a complete thryoid test.
My cholesterol was 259 and normal is 200. The LDL (or bad cholesterol) is 184 and normal is 100.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #37
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Was the TSH on the low end of normal, the mid end of normal, or the high end of normal?

Depending on the answer to that, it might be worth using some natural thyroid support supplements, bearing in mind that (a) the use of these could effect future blood tests, although they are designed for those with very slight conditions or who are already on prescription boosters, and (b) it is always a little riskier using these without the benefit of a doctor or naturopath informing and monitoring their use. You would also want to be aware of your overall health conditions in examining ingredients (e.g., one common ingredient is bad for people who tend to have low blood pressure such as myself).

Deodorants and Diapersticks!
Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants

Last edited by debcita429; 03-23-2013 at 01:45 PM.
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #38
mrscompgeek
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by debcita429 View Post
Was the TSH on the low end of normal, the mid end of normal, or the high end of normal?

Depending on the answer to that, it might be worth using some natural thyroid support supplements, bearing in mind that (a) the use of these could effect future blood tests, although they are designed for those with very slight conditions or who are already on prescription boosters, and (b) it is always a little riskier using these without the benefit of a doctor or naturopath informing and monitoring their use. You would also want to be aware of your overall health conditions in examining ingredients (e.g., one common ingredient is bad for people who tend to have low blood pressure such as myself).
Lowish end. It was 1.49 and normal is .3 to 3. About in the middle?
I do have a herbalist we see occasionally that once we figure out if it is for sure my thyroid I can go see him for herbs/naturopath.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:02 AM   #39
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l View Post
My endo likes to see levels at 1 while my GP likes to see them at 1-4. So you can swee where there can be room for error or lower functioning "normal".
1 for the TSH or something else? my tsh was 2.4 and had a range up to 3.4. my dr didnt do the t3 and t4 which I am not happy about but I can get blood work done in about 2 weeks so I will ask for it then

Last edited by homebirthmom; 05-11-2013 at 09:11 AM.
homebirthmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:08 AM   #40
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiegud View Post
Cholesterol being high can actually be associated with hypothyroidism. My TSH is normal, but my T4 is low, so make sure they checked both. Cholesterol also goes up when you eat, so if your test wasn't fasting it could be artificially high.
thats right! I have a feeling they only tested your tsh.
mine is within normal range too but I KNOW i have hypothyroidism cause out of 20 symptoms i have 18. been taking thyrosense for 3 days now and have so much more energy. yay