Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-20-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
4ShoreRN
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Would you sell breast milk?

In a different group a mama posted a local Craigslist of breast milk for sale for $2 an oz. Clearly this is against Craigslist policy. I'm sure it has been removed. Don't get me wrong when there was a company considering selling breast milk that had been pasteurized and tested for pathogens I thought it was genius. Of course the company found out pasteurizing the breast milk destroyed the milk and most of its beneficial properties; not to mention the FDA quickly vetoed the concept saying pasteurized or not it wasn't safe. Still there are companies in the USA who sell breast milk and places online that are specifically for selling or buying breast milk from complete strangers. Only The Breast has no testing requirements for sellers. They simply have a page giving suggestions on precautions to make when buying breast milk.

I applaud women who donate to the breast milk banks at the hospital. That milk is screened prior to it being given to babies. The thing that gets me is the fact that some women in this group where the Craigslist ad was posted blatantly ignore the health risks of buying breast milk. One mama said, " I was tested during pregnancy for any and all diseases. Most women are. You usually consider that if a mother is breast feeding her baby she wouldn't do anything to hurt it so your baby is ok. I don't pay for testing of my breast milk but if the moms I donate to want to that's up to them." Uh ever heard of crack babies or moms with HIV breast feeding? Maybe I'm paranoid because I'm a nurse but I would never trust someone that much. There are too many crazy people out there. There are too many people desperate for money. I mean it is considered unsafe to buy a used breast pump so why would you feed your baby untested breast milk from a strange you bought off of the internet? At least get it from a trusted source that has adequate proof of testing for pathogens.

Advertisement

Old 07-20-2013, 02:39 PM   #2
risata
Registered Users
seller

Re: Would you sell breast milk?

No I wouldn't sell it. I would donate to a milk bank, or give to a friend if they needed it (and have done that, actually) but I wouldn't try to make a profit.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
Rewind_Selector
Registered Users
seller
seller

If someone wanted to buy it, heck yes. But I wouldn't advertise it for sale.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
xiovel
Registered Users
seller

I personally wouldn't sell, given the opportunity I'd rather donate and help a baby or two in need. My supply has never been the best though, maybe this time around will be different.

I have also seen at least one ad on Craigslist, it was listed for almost $3/oz. The lady went on and on about how extremely healthy she was, no drinking/smoking/drugs, exercised regularly, etc. It all looks nice in writing but how are you to know they really do or are what they say? Who is to say they didn't get the milk from someone else?
xiovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

I'm going to sound crazy, but I think women should absolutely be able to sell their breast milk. If I can sell my plasma, and men can sell their sperm, then why not be able to sell breastmilk? In the case of plasma and sperm donors are screened and there are precautions put in place by legitimate, licensed facilities. I think that should be the case with breastmilk. Donation is a beautiful thing, but pumping is hard work and I think women have the right to be compensated if they go to the trouble of doing it well.

ETA: not advocating buying breastmilk off craigslist. There should be a company that handles it just like donated blood. Donated blood isn't pasteurized either (duh).

Last edited by Palooka; 07-20-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:15 PM   #6
4ShoreRN
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palooka View Post
I'm going to sound crazy, but I think women should absolutely be able to sell their breast milk. If I can sell my plasma, and men can sell their sperm, then why not be able to sell breastmilk? In the case of plasma and sperm donors are screened and there are precautions put in place by legitimate, licensed facilities. I think that should be the case with breastmilk. Donation is a beautiful thing, but pumping is hard work and I think women have the right to be compensated if they go to the trouble of doing it well.

ETA: not advocating buying breastmilk off craigslist. There should be a company that handles it just like donated blood. Donated blood isn't pasteurized either (duh).
I'm not saying don't sell it. No one can stop anyone from selling anything really. I'm saying for your baby's sake at least get it from a company that screens it. Don't just assume the person is clean because it is breast milk. I know blood isn't pasteurized. I merely brought that up because that is a requirement of the FDA for that company that was proposing to sell breast milk. Pasteurizing breast milk destroys it thus defeating the purpose of buying it for its benefits.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:24 PM   #7
xiovel
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ShoreRN View Post
I'm not saying don't sell it. No one can stop anyone from selling anything really. I'm saying for your baby's sake at least get it from a company that screens it. Don't just assume the person is clean because it is breast milk. I know blood isn't pasteurized. I merely brought that up because that is a requirement of the FDA for that company that was proposing to sell breast milk. Pasteurizing breast milk destroys it thus defeating the purpose of buying it for its benefits.
This, completely this. I agree that every woman should be able to sell it if they wish to do so, but there's a reason they screen breastmilk at milk banks. All breastmilk should be screened prior to donation or sale for the health and safety of the baby(ies) receiving it.
xiovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:31 PM   #8
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ShoreRN View Post
Oh I didn't mean "duh" like you're dumb. I meant duh like, "Why am I even writing that, I'm sure you know it."

I think we are violently agreeing. This is what I was trying to say, in bullet form:
1) Women should be able to sell breastmilk to a legitimate agency that screens them and their milk. Pasteurizing breastmilk is as dumb as pastuerizing blood
2) Women who purchase breastmilk should do so from the agency above
3) Operating outside of ^1 and 2 endangers babies

Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:32 PM   #9
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

Um, if you get milk from eats on feets, it's free, but not tested. So that to me isn't a deal breaker, in fact I got some donor milk from someone in the past.

And yes I would sell my own milk, and have thought about it.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:33 PM   #10
Sarahknavy
Registered Users
seller

I could never sell my milk. I can't even donate blood for profit. I do it to help my community. I have donated to complete strangers. However, I would put my baby on formula before giving them breast milk from anyone (other than my sister).