Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
kris10mus
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Antonio,TX
Posts: 590
Deodorant

I don't usually have to wear deodorant in the winter but when summer rolls around I need a little something. I made the baking soda/arrowroot/coconut oil deodorant last summer and it started giving me a terrible rash and turned my arm pits brown:/
Anyone else have this problem?
Is there a better recipe out there that I'm missing?

Recipe I used:
1/3 cup coconut oil
cup Arrowroot powder
cup baking soda

Advertisement

kris10mus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 13,404
Re: Deodorant

I haven't had that problem, but I have heard some people say that too much baking soda can cause the rash. I use a couple tbsp baking soda and corn starch and then mix in coconut oil until I like the consistency. Mine is probably more coconut oil than most people use, but it works for me.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #3
debcita429's Avatar
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,315
Re: Deodorant

Are you using Bob's Red Mill Baking Soda? It's natural extraction is gentler and does the trick for me (in combo with a lot of other ingredients). I don't have a clue as to what to say about the browning. Unlike you, I need a heavy duty deodorant year round, so I include french pressed zinc oxide in mine. You might want to try it as a baking soda replacement.
__________________

Deodorants and Diapersticks!
Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
kris10mus
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Antonio,TX
Posts: 590
Re: Deodorant

Quote:
Originally Posted by debcita429 View Post
Are you using Bob's Red Mill Baking Soda? It's natural extraction is gentler and does the trick for me (in combo with a lot of other ingredients). I don't have a clue as to what to say about the browning. Unlike you, I need a heavy duty deodorant year round, so I include french pressed zinc oxide in mine. You might want to try it as a baking soda replacement.
I haven't tried Bob's Red Mill Baking Soda but will definitely be giving it a try now
Thank you for the advice!
kris10mus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:33 PM   #5
alyxmegan's Avatar
alyxmegan
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: new mexico
Posts: 1,205
My Mood:
I just use coconut oil and essential oil for smell. I atoll sweat but no smell. Works for me but not for DH.
alyxmegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #6
birdseye's Avatar
birdseye
Registered Users
Formerly: clothbyl**
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: in the wardrobe searching for Narnia
Posts: 1,750
Re: Deodorant

This may sound weird, but I use milk of magnesia. I just turn the bottle over on a small rag and wipe the small circle where is goes. It is an odor absorber, but does not prevent sweating. i have used it for a few years now and have never had a problem.
__________________
Full time wife (10/2005), Full time mom (N - 6/2013)
Full time student (RN School), Full time hospice worker (night shift)
Yep, I'm exhausted!!! (and need more coffee!!)
birdseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:57 PM   #7
alyxmegan's Avatar
alyxmegan
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: new mexico
Posts: 1,205
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdseye
This may sound weird, but I use milk of magnesia. I just turn the bottle over on a small rag and wipe the small circle where is goes. It is an odor absorber, but does not prevent sweating. i have used it for a few years now and have never had a problem.
Wow! Never heard of that!
alyxmegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:26 PM   #8
epanouie's Avatar
epanouie
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 701
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kris10mus
I don't usually have to wear deodorant in the winter but when summer rolls around I need a little something. I made the baking soda/arrowroot/coconut oil deodorant last summer and it started giving me a terrible rash and turned my arm pits brown:/
Anyone else have this problem?
Is there a better recipe out there that I'm missing?

Recipe I used:
1/3 cup coconut oil
cup Arrowroot powder
cup baking soda
Oh my! I use the exact ingredients above and have never had an issue. I got horrible rashes from mainstream deodorants like Sure and Ban. But since coconut oil can be really hard or melty depending on the temperature of the house, I don't mix them all together...just the arrowroot powder and baking soda, in equal parts. First, I apply the coconut oil, then I apply the powder mix. I've been using this for years now and am so happy with it! I think the first layer of coconut oil keeps the baking soda from being too harsh directly on my skin, while still allowing for the good odor/wetness fighting capabilities?
epanouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #9
kris10mus
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Antonio,TX
Posts: 590
Re: Deodorant

Quote:
Originally Posted by epanouie View Post
Oh my! I use the exact ingredients above and have never had an issue. I got horrible rashes from mainstream deodorants like Sure and Ban. But since coconut oil can be really hard or melty depending on the temperature of the house, I don't mix them all together...just the arrowroot powder and baking soda, in equal parts. First, I apply the coconut oil, then I apply the powder mix. I've been using this for years now and am so happy with it! I think the first layer of coconut oil keeps the baking soda from being too harsh directly on my skin, while still allowing for the good odor/wetness fighting capabilities?
such a good idea!
I'm definitely going to have to try that
kris10mus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #10
kris10mus
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Antonio,TX
Posts: 590
Re: Deodorant

Anyone ever try Mineral Salt as deodorant? I saw it at Whole foods but was hesitant to buy it.
kris10mus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.