Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-14-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
kris10mus
Registered Users
seller
seller

Deodorant

I don't usually have to wear deodorant in the winter but when summer rolls around I need a little something. I made the baking soda/arrowroot/coconut oil deodorant last summer and it started giving me a terrible rash and turned my arm pits brown:/
Anyone else have this problem?
Is there a better recipe out there that I'm missing?

Recipe I used:
1/3 cup coconut oil
cup Arrowroot powder
cup baking soda

Advertisement

kris10mus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: Deodorant

I haven't had that problem, but I have heard some people say that too much baking soda can cause the rash. I use a couple tbsp baking soda and corn starch and then mix in coconut oil until I like the consistency. Mine is probably more coconut oil than most people use, but it works for me.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #3
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Are you using Bob's Red Mill Baking Soda? It's natural extraction is gentler and does the trick for me (in combo with a lot of other ingredients). I don't have a clue as to what to say about the browning. Unlike you, I need a heavy duty deodorant year round, so I include french pressed zinc oxide in mine. You might want to try it as a baking soda replacement.

Deodorants and Diapersticks!
Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
kris10mus
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by debcita429 View Post
Are you using Bob's Red Mill Baking Soda? It's natural extraction is gentler and does the trick for me (in combo with a lot of other ingredients). I don't have a clue as to what to say about the browning. Unlike you, I need a heavy duty deodorant year round, so I include french pressed zinc oxide in mine. You might want to try it as a baking soda replacement.
I haven't tried Bob's Red Mill Baking Soda but will definitely be giving it a try now
Thank you for the advice!
Old 03-16-2013, 12:33 PM   #5
alyxmegan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I just use coconut oil and essential oil for smell. I atoll sweat but no smell. Works for me but not for DH.
alyxmegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #6
birdseye
Registered Users
Formerly: clothbyl**
seller

This may sound weird, but I use milk of magnesia. I just turn the bottle over on a small rag and wipe the small circle where is goes. It is an odor absorber, but does not prevent sweating. i have used it for a few years now and have never had a problem.
birdseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:57 PM   #7
alyxmegan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdseye
This may sound weird, but I use milk of magnesia. I just turn the bottle over on a small rag and wipe the small circle where is goes. It is an odor absorber, but does not prevent sweating. i have used it for a few years now and have never had a problem.
Wow! Never heard of that!
alyxmegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:26 PM   #8
epanouie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kris10mus
I don't usually have to wear deodorant in the winter but when summer rolls around I need a little something. I made the baking soda/arrowroot/coconut oil deodorant last summer and it started giving me a terrible rash and turned my arm pits brown:/
Anyone else have this problem?
Is there a better recipe out there that I'm missing?

Recipe I used:
1/3 cup coconut oil
cup Arrowroot powder
cup baking soda
Oh my! I use the exact ingredients above and have never had an issue. I got horrible rashes from mainstream deodorants like Sure and Ban. But since coconut oil can be really hard or melty depending on the temperature of the house, I don't mix them all together...just the arrowroot powder and baking soda, in equal parts. First, I apply the coconut oil, then I apply the powder mix. I've been using this for years now and am so happy with it! I think the first layer of coconut oil keeps the baking soda from being too harsh directly on my skin, while still allowing for the good odor/wetness fighting capabilities?
epanouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #9
kris10mus
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by epanouie View Post
Oh my! I use the exact ingredients above and have never had an issue. I got horrible rashes from mainstream deodorants like Sure and Ban. But since coconut oil can be really hard or melty depending on the temperature of the house, I don't mix them all together...just the arrowroot powder and baking soda, in equal parts. First, I apply the coconut oil, then I apply the powder mix. I've been using this for years now and am so happy with it! I think the first layer of coconut oil keeps the baking soda from being too harsh directly on my skin, while still allowing for the good odor/wetness fighting capabilities?
such a good idea!
I'm definitely going to have to try that
Old 03-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #10
kris10mus
Registered Users
seller
seller

Anyone ever try Mineral Salt as deodorant? I saw it at Whole foods but was hesitant to buy it.