Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-14-2013, 05:37 PM   #1
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:
need to make an extra $150-$200 a month

Laying out the basics:
**I'm currently a stay at home mom and hubby works full-time as an auto body tech (an hour away from home, salaried, on a weird schedule--if something needs to go out that day, he stays however late it needs to go out BUT he's expected to be there from 8-5 everyday M-F--he gets "bonus" pay on the things that he stays late for, but its inconsistent and there is no way to be able to put it in our monthly budget because we never know when he will get it or how much it will be).
**Because of his weird schedule, me working part-time and using HIM as child care is not really something that will work. We have three kids (7, 4, and an extremely extremely clingy 18 month old--I'm talking clingy can't even leave him with daddy because he'll get so hysterical he vomits everywhere and he has actually passed out, literally passed.out. from getting so hysterical)--this obviously is something we need to work on and that we ARE working on, but it makes using a daycare pretty difficult. We have no family within an hour of us, so even if we *did* resolve toddler issues, we can't use them for childcare. Me working part-time and using a daycare simply does not make sense, especially once summer gets here--only one daycare in town is even licensed for kids over 6, my part-time pay would ONLY cover the daycare for three kids (and maybe not even that, we would potentially be using my entire check PLUS some of hubby's to pay for daycare, which does not make sense). Daycares are not open past 5:30 at all.
**We live in the middle of nowhere southern Illinois. There is NO place that is open 24 hours (not gas stations, not walmart, not fast food--no, not even Wendy's or Taco Bell lol) within 45 minutes of us. ONE factory has 3rd shift, and that is actually somehow a coveted shift and is near impossible for a new hire to get placed on.
**We have cut out everything we possibly can--when hubby and I first got married, and after our first child was born & we had some medical financial issues come up, we did the stupid thing and put a LOT of stuff on credit cards. We're not late on payments, we've negotiated the interest as much as they'll let us, but we have high balances, which equate to high minimum payments--we throw every extra penny towards these to try to pay them off. Tax return went to credit cards.
**Both cars are owned outright & are used & old. We NEED to have two cars since hubby has strange hours & stays close to his work 2-3 nights a week, my car is the "family" car, his is just a 2 seater pickup. Selling a car is NOT an option.
**I've been doing swagbucks for years and have never been able to get more than $20 a month.
**I'm currently registered as a substitute with two different daycare centers, and both will allow me to bring the 18 month old with me--neither one has space to be able to let me legally have the 4 year old there though, and neither one is licensed for kids over 6, so my oldest definitely can't come with me. But since its substitute work, its spotty at best, usually with short notice (somebody calls in sick an hour before they open) or weird short hours (fill in for a couple hours while somebody has an appointment, goes home early, comes in late, that sort of thing)...its nothing consistent. It works for now while ODS is in school during the day and DD is in pre-k for half day (12:30 to 3 each day, we don't pay for it, its offered through our local public school). Once summer gets here, subbing will be extremely difficult to make work & have it financially make sense. The sub pay is minimum wage, and even with the baby getting half price rates because I'm a worker...well $8.50 an hour x 8=$68-$13 (baby daycare price)=$55-$35 ($17.50 per day per older child)=$20 - taxes...well, that day's pay is completely gone, or very possibly at least equating to about $1 an hour for work.
**Right now we're literally living paycheck to paycheck. Emergency fund just got wiped out buying a new water heater. We qualify for food stamps and medical card, and have both. We also qualify for WIC, but don't use it--I'm a pretty thrifty shopper/hardcore with couponing, and our food stamps cover all the food we need, including what WIC would cover. We ARE making ends meet, but its tight. Everything is paid on time, and at the very least, the minimum payment is paid (we try for more but its not always possible).

Soooo....as far as I can figure, pretty much the only thing I've got that I *can* do is work from home?? (considering the weird schedule/daycare situation). I have associate's degrees in business management and business marketing. None of the offices around here offer flex-time or work from home opportunities, all require you be on-site for the full work day/full amount of time scheduled. Are there any LEGIT work from home jobs? Is there something else I'm not thinking of? I'm not comfortable posting numbers because..well a)I'm weird about sharing $$ amounts like that ; b) quite frankly, the credit card minimum payments are quite embarrassing--seriously, they're biiiiiiiig and c)I've ran them over and over and over & there is NOT wiggle room and nothing that can be cut.

Advertisement

Old 03-14-2013, 11:10 PM   #2
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've seen your posts now for a long time and I would recommend Textbroker. It can be very fast to write things if you choose wisely and don't need to do a lot of research. But, it can be time-consuming. Do you have nap time or at least a few hours at night to dedicate?
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:52 PM   #3
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: need to make an extra $150-$200 a month

Well that just plain sucks! I am totally stumped but I do want to suggest that in time when you 18 month old can go with out you for a few hours you could serve or bartend in a nicer restuarant and make 200$ easily in just 2 or 3 nights if you choose the right place.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:56 PM   #4
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller

My Mood:
Subbing because I am in a similar situation. My dh is a salaried workaholic. :S Hes also a reservist so that takes up more time but also provides nearly 400/mo extra. Waiting on the tax return to pay off two cc and our dentist, as well as fluff up the emergency fund.

Anywho, could you put out something on craigslist for babysitting? Sometimes I go to the job section and search From Home.
Anything you could sell?
Old 03-15-2013, 12:42 AM   #5
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

Sell on eBay. Start with selling your own things to get the hang of it and build feedback. Take 50% of your profits after fees and reinvest. Meaning, go to thrift stores and buy things to resell. I started last year and averaged $900 profit a month doing it. It's hard work, has a huge learning curve, but is very worth it. I also do it working full time and a full time grad student. It can be done!
Old 03-15-2013, 02:20 AM   #6
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

What about a Mommy's helper? I know when I was looking for one & I was totally cool with someone bringing along a kiddo (or two). I never did find anyone... I was even offering $10 an hour but I couldn't find anyone. (All I wanted was for someone to hold my screaming baby so I could clean the house & do stuff.) Not one call after placing multiple ads.

Also a reliable date night babysitter would be awesome! I'd love to drop the kiddos off for a few hours & have a date with my DH!

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:20 AM   #7
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

What about a Mommy's helper? I know when I was looking for one & I was totally cool with someone bringing along a kiddo (or two). I never did find anyone... I was even offering $10 an hour but I couldn't find anyone. (All I wanted was for someone to hold my screaming baby so I could clean the house & do stuff.) Not one call after placing multiple ads.

Also a reliable date night babysitter would be awesome! I'd love to drop the kiddos off for a few hours & have a date with my DH!

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:56 AM   #8
caselikoe
Registered Users
seller

I started as a BeachBody coach a few month ago and it's going great so far. I work when I feel like it/when the baby allows and am already making several hundred extra a month. Pm me if you'd like more details
caselikoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:42 PM   #9
drabekgirl
Registered Users

I'm going to be the odd ball, if you seriously can't afford the cc bills and have no other debt than them. I'd file bankruptcy on them, yes it will hurt your record for the next 7 years. And I'd ask the dr for some help with the LO's anxiety, anxiety meds or allergy testing for 18mo old b/c the lo should be out grown that stage by now. I worked for several years with a lo who is now 18 who was the same way. My twin has major anxiety issues when she eats corn syrup. So see it could be either diet or in need of mental help.

100-200 a month extra from home is very hard to make these days and its not going to help as much as you'd think if you have HUGE debts. By the time you've figured in your time, its not all that worth it per hour. B/c your right working outside of the home isn't going to be worth it either when you have to pay for child care for 2 or 3. But over spring break and summer you might be able to ask some of your 4&7 y/os friends parents if they'd use you for child care and make a day camp(different theme each week) out of it.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:58 PM   #10
babynme8
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think you live in the next town over from me. In Salem we have the KidKare daycare and it's open 24/7 they may need help. There is also NAL, Radiac, and Shutt which all have third shift - not sure if any of them are hiring right now. Depending on the pay it might be worth the drive. Good Luck!
babynme8 is offline   Reply With Quote