Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-15-2013, 12:24 AM   #1
neonalee
Registered Users
seller
seller

Need help starting Dave Ramsey

I'd like to start doing DR style budgeting but I'm not sure it will work for us. I have a full time job paid every other month, but DH is self employed and the amount varies. It's been working fine for 2 years but we aren't saving anything and we have some bigger expenses coming up. I think there is a minimum we could depend on from him weekly, but I don't think it's enough to cover our monthly expenses.

We have written a budget but I'm not completely sure of its accuracy. I'm especially having a hard time with grocery. We shop at Sam's weekly for produce and a couple other things. But if something it's a good deal we might buy it even if we don't need it yet (like when dish waking stuff was on sale) or if the fish we like is stocked (frequently not) we'll buy a lot to freeze for later. How do you budget that?

I was reading the DR thread tonight for motivation. We have to move in a month and are going back and forth on if we are going to look at rentals 100 more a month. The jump in what it would give us is huge but I think we should look for lower rent, not higher. We need to save!

Thanks!

Advertisement

neonalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:40 AM   #2
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need help starting Dave Ramsey

Groceries:
Add what you spend in a month. I could never budget it weekly. I stock up when there is a good deal or might buy a larger size to get the better per unit price. It averages out because some weeks I spend more & other weeks I spend less.

Is there a way to average what your DH earns monthly? (like take your 2012 taxes & divide it by 12?)

Take your written budget & compare it to what you are really spending, earning, & figure out where the $ is really going. Our first budget was completely crazy when compared to our REAL spending. We had to adjust things. We had to add things and lower things and make adjustments. A budget is a plan for your money. You have to figure out a plan that will work and you can actually implement.

If you don't have any savings... you are living paycheck to paycheck. Adding to it would make you living beyond your means. You need to cut back expenses or earn more $. If you are going to move it might be worth looking into cheaper places to rent.

Dave Ramsey says if you are self employed... you make a list of what is a priority to pay first. You pay it as money comes in and change the list each time. (Or at least that is what he said a few days ago when I was listening to him on the radio.) I'm not sure how you do it if one person has a stable income & one person has a flexible.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:32 AM   #3
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller

My Mood:
DR often recommends that you track every expense for a least a month. If you are honest with yourself, and diligent with it, you should see exactly where your money is going.
The next thing is to set a realistic budget and stick to it.
Finally, try cash for grocieries. I always go over budget when I use my debit.....so I just pay cash.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #4
neonalee
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Need help starting Dave Ramsey

Thanks! I started today by reordering our list of houses to go see. We'll start with the ones that are 100 - 200 less than we pay now and won't go over what we currently pay.

I don't actually have any receipts from our grocery trips. I can look in our account for spends at those stores, but the Sams won't be accurate. Unless things like dishwasher soap go in the grocery bill? But we also buy socks there sometimes. Any probably other things I'm not thinking of. I'll ask DH if he remembers if he only bought food the last few trips ( yeah, like he'll remember!)

Thanks for the self employment stuff too. I don't think it would average accurately over the year. Some months are way higher and some are way lower. If I depended on that number we'd probably be stuck some months. I think I might do the budget with his minimum pay and have that pay first list. Then whatever is left we go down the list.
neonalee is offline   Reply With Quote