Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-15-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
mariesmom
Registered Users
seller

Thinking about giving CD another try...

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me. I'm really into everyone natural, and love the idea of cloth diapering, but I've tried two brands (bumGenius and Fuzzibunz) and I did not like them for Marie at all. She is a very small, thin baby (about 13.5 lbs. at 6 1/2 months) and those diapers were just so bulky on her that I felt it hampered her movement a LOT. I've heard people say, just give them some naked time and they'll be fine, but I want her to be able to move freely whenever she wants to, not just during short periods a few times a day. I also noticed when she wore cloth diapers, that the skin underneath would be all flushed from not being able to breathe through the CD. However, my main concern is that they seem to hamper her movement with the bulkiness, and that really bothers me.

My question is, are there any CD that are not so bulky that would allow for free leg movement? The ones I've tried were one-size diapers, so maybe someone could recommend a brand that came in sizes so they fit better? Money is also a bit of an issue so I was thinking about trying prefolds. Advice anyone? Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

mariesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
superfox
Registered Users
seller
seller

You could try flats. Pick up some flour sack towels at target or Walmart and fold them in a cover like a flip or thirsties duo. Economical and trim!
I also carry Bee Green Naturals wool wash products on my HC store
superfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

I say get some Circo receiving blankets at target 4 for about $7-9 and then a few covers. We live the diaper safari covers (theycome with free shipping) they are great. This is our trimmest combo yet that is still absorbant to last 2-3.5 hrs & dd is a heavy wetter.

I would start with 2 covers & 4 receiving blankets that way you spend less than $30 & you can see if you like it.

hope you do !!
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:31 PM   #4
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah-B
I say get some Circo receiving blankets at target 4 for about $7-9 and then a few covers. We live the diaper safari covers (theycome with free shipping) they are great. This is our trimmest combo yet that is still absorbant to last 2-3.5 hrs & dd is a heavy wetter.

I would start with 2 covers & 4 receiving blankets that way you spend less than $30 & you can see if you like it.

hope you do !!
Forgot to say that we pad fold our receiving blankets
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:53 PM   #5
FluffyBum
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We used Bottombumpers for a long time for the trim fit. Then I found another brand that was even trimmer Peachy Green!! My other favorites are Baby My Waye and Little Chickadees but those are small WAHMs only found on Facebook but they make amazing diapers that are just as good if not better than big name brands. All trim fitting diapers!!
If you want trim you are going to have to buy sized AIO/AI2. So yes sizing up is going to happen but you just sell off the smaller diapers to fund the bigger sizes. An OS diaper is just too bulky and the ones you had are very bulky! When they older like 1.5 then those OS fit pretty well.
FluffyBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Thinking about giving CD another try...

For day I would get prefolds or flats--I do both for day and love them. If you do pfs I would get sized ones. I prefer gmd or diaper rite. Flats imo are the thinniest cd option--no bulk. I use a kite fold but a pad fold is super easy too. I love targets circo recieving blankets. I also have diaper rite unbleached flats. You could use wool or pul covers. We can not do wool we are allergic but wool is very breathable. So we use flip, diaper safari and econobum covers. I also have some fleece soakers in the mix.

If your lo has a sensitivity to wet you can always just place a fleece liner in the diaper.

For out and about I use simplex os aios. My dd is very small--19 month old 17lbs and these are not bulky.

We also use bg 4.0s at night.

I never like fb but your lo will grow into the bgs if you still have them. I stuff mine with the flip organic insert--you can also use flats.

For 1 in diapers I would say that you would need

If you use pfs 24-36 and 6 covers
same # if you just use flats

And maybe some aios for out and about--but again if you have the bgs you can just use those once your dd grows into them.
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #7
mariesmom
Registered Users
seller

Thanks so much for the help, everyone!! The flats sound great to me... I don't mind the folding at all, but, being so thin, are they really absorbent enough? I'm slightly OCD about diaper changes even with the disposables, I change them every 2 hours if I can, but sometimes after a big meal she wets quite a bit. What are the best flat diapers? Diaper Rite, OsoCozy, something else?
Old 03-15-2013, 05:34 PM   #8
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I love Diaper rite flats and targets circo rb flats.

I have never tried but it seems everyone loves Green Mountain diapers flats, imagine bamboo flats from nikkis and alot of people like the flip organic inserts.
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:05 PM   #9
chewie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What kind of BGs did you use? I'm just curious because we have a tiny kid too- she's only 19 lbs at 17 months! The BG 4.0s are super bulky on her and I'm actually going to get rid of them here as soon as I figure out the ins-and-outs around here. We also have BG elementals and I'm not a huge fan, for the same reason. We've had the best luck with the BG freetime dipes for her skinny bottom.
As another note, I did a trial with Jillian's Drawers and got to try a whole bunch of different ones for only $10. Just a thought.
chewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:20 PM   #10
mariesmom
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the input, dagmomma!

Chewie, they were the BG 4.0s. I've thought about doing the trial from Jillian's Drawers... especially since I'm in Ithaca (where the store is located) pretty often! I'm glad you had good experience with them... I may give it a try.