Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-27-2014, 06:52 PM   #1
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

A few questions about PPD/PPA...

I think I am having really bad PPA... like so bad that for the last month I cant stop grinding/clinching my teeth. I didnt even know that PPA was real until someone, family, mentioned it to me (I worry a lot naturally). I dont always grind/clinich, just when I get anxious or stressed or worked up...

So, if YOU have had PPD or PPA...

Did it go away in time?
Did doing certain things help?

I really, really, really do not want to be on any medication. DH had a bad couple months on anti anxiety/depressants after war and getting off them after being on them for one month was worse then ever being on them (per his experience). I am at a loss. And totally alone right now..

Advertisement

CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:51 PM   #2
karikos
Registered Users
seller

Re: A few questions about PPD/PPA...

My DS is six months old and it's just now starting to get better. Mine was really really bad. I have anxiety normally anyway and after birth it was just a lot worse. Having people around to help with baby made it a lot better for me. I didn't take medication, either, I just realized that I needed to have my mom (or even just my brother and sister) there with me (as DH works long hours, otherwise I would have been alone). Being sleep deprived also makes it way worse, at least for me. I don't think it would have been as bad if the weather was good, either, and I was able to get out more with the baby.

Honestly, talk to your doctor about your concerns. Medication doesn't have to be the answer, you could do therapy as well to have someone to talk to (besides your DH).
Old 03-27-2014, 07:54 PM   #3
saraley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CntryMama View Post
I think I am having really bad PPA... like so bad that for the last month I cant stop grinding/clinching my teeth. I didnt even know that PPA was real until someone, family, mentioned it to me (I worry a lot naturally). I dont always grind/clinich, just when I get anxious or stressed or worked up...

So, if YOU have had PPD or PPA...

Did it go away in time?
Did doing certain things help?

I really, really, really do not want to be on any medication. DH had a bad couple months on anti anxiety/depressants after war and getting off them after being on them for one month was worse then ever being on them (per his experience). I am at a loss. And totally alone right now..
Hugs mama- I had ppd pretty badly, for me I needed medication short term and then was able to get off, but there are different meds different effects- and they all effect people differently- but if you are dead set against them- make sure that you are at least talking to someone that validated your feelings and doesn't make you feel bad or crazy for them.... I still struggle w anxiety I did before baby and still do, but I do feel I have gotten to a place where I can manage it... and I totally had a tension headache yesterday from grinding.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:04 PM   #4
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
For *me* it did not go away or get better. I had six horrible months before my DH dragged me to a dr to get me on meds.

In general, I'm pro-meds person, so take my story with that prospective. I had a difficult birth and felt slammed with PPD within 24 hrs of the birth. It never really got better until I got on antidepressants.

Also, ppd didn't make me feel sad it made me feel angry, irritable and disconnected from everything. I didn't bond with my LO for months. I had intense shame about my failure to bond. It was my biggest regret that I waited 6 months to find a dr.

I suggest trying to find a psychiatrist rather than a general family dr or your OB. I originally had meds prescribed by my OB but they didn't work. It was only when I went to the shrink that I got on the right med and the right dose. I also saw a therapist to help me deal with all of my feelings.

Meds are not forever. I stopped needing the meds after about a year. I was able to nurse while on Zoloft without issue. Sometimes it takes a few weeks to get adjusted or to find the right med.

I didn't have any problems going off antidepressants but I did it very slowly.

Also meditation helped me. Don't be afraid to ask for help from others- if you're tired it will only make things worse. Exercise, even a walk around the block, will make you feel better

Whatever you do, please keep reaching out for help. If the first dr doesn't work for you, try another. Believe me there are many many moms who have been there. Your baby needs a happy mama.

Last edited by AniMommy; 03-27-2014 at 08:06 PM.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:03 AM   #5
Bear's Lady
Registered Users

Re: A few questions about PPD/PPA...

My experience with ppd/ppa is similar to AniMommy in that it didn't make me feel sad or "depressed" but I was really angry/irritable/disconnected. When I started having the scary ppd thoughts was when I finally called my doctor and asked for the meds. I've been on them about three weeks and am feeling a lot more like myself but I think they are worsening the anxiety.

My plan is to be on them for a few months until things settle down and try to wean off of them - I am not a meds person AT ALL but I knew that was the only thing that was going to snap me out of where I had gotten.

You've gotten some great advice from the others, but definitely talking to your doctor, therapist, or a psychiatrist would be a good start! Good luck Momma!
Bear's Lady is offline   Reply With Quote