Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-15-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
rachaeljohnson
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Kathleen's Home Waterbirth

2-20-13
I fell in the garage and broke my foot. I spent 2 days in a cast and then was put in a walking boot. The whole time all I could think was how I would labor and deliver a baby in that condition. My due date was only 3 days later.
3-1-13
I woke up in the middle of the night and realized I was having contractions roughly 10 minutes apart. I tried to sleep but admit I was a little excited. When Mike got up for work, I warned him jokingly that he may be coming home early. Throughout the day they mostly went away except for a few random mild ones that I simply ignored.
(1:20pm) Had my orthopedic appointment and was instructed to wear my boot constantly even in labor. After we went to Babies R Us to try out potential carseats for the new baby.
(3:00pm) Mike and I decided we would go to Disney on Ice an hour away in Grand Rapids that night at 7. We told the kids.
(4:00pm) Came home and had potato soup and bread that was brought to us by a friend in MOPS. Contractions started back up in the middle of dinner and by 4:30 I could tell they were regular again.
(4:51pm) Called Linda (our midwife) to tell her about the contractions and that we were probably going to go to Disney on Ice and head out around 5:30. She seemed surprised and probably didn't think we should go but I was still convinced they would go away and I would be pregnant for a few more days.
(5:30pm) Left for Disney on Ice. On the way I noticed contractions were going from 10 minutes apart to 9, then to 8, then to 7. I started to worry maybe we shouldn't be going.
(6:16pm) I called Linda back to give her an update and she said to call us and she could meet us at my house if need be.
(7:00-9:00pm) Watched Disney on Ice with the kids. They loved it. I had regular contractions the whole time but they didn't seem to be getting stronger or closer together.
(9:00pm) We left Grand Rapids and took the kids to get a treat.
(10:00-10:30pm) Got home, put the kids to bed, and did a little cleaning up.
(11:00pm) Decided to get a shower. When I was done, I put my pjs on and my big walking boot. Took 2 steps and felt water go down my legs and into my boot and socks. It wasn't as much water as when my water broke with Lor so I wasn't fully convinced. I took a few steps and went to the bathroom and realized I was still slowly leaking and there was some pink tinged fluid when I wiped.
(11:20pm) I called Linda to tell her. The contractions were about 6-9 minutes apart but a bit stronger. She offered to come, set up, and sleep on the couch until we needed her. I was still afraid it was too early and she should be home in her own bed until we needed her the next morning. She asked us to call back in 30 minutes.
(11:24pm) I called Megan (our birth photographer) to let her know what was going on and give her a chance to arrange child care for her son. Then I decided I should get some sleep because the next day was going to be a long one.
3-2-13
(12:00am) Mike called Linda to let her know we were going to sleep.
(12:34am) I think Megan called us to let us know that she had her mom there to watch her son. Mike then slept and I dozed in and out as contractions picked up quickly in intensity and I was soon having to breathe and focus to get through them.
(1:30am) They became too painful to lie in bed anymore. I woke Mike up and told him it was game time. I remember thinking clearly, "uh oh, this sh%$ is about to get real."
(1:52am) Mike called Linda to tell her it was time and that we needed her. Mike then started getting some stuff ready (towels, tub, and other supplies)
(2:13am) Called Megan and told her to come.
(2:30am) Linda arrived and started setting up. At some point around her arrival she called Emily (who was another midwife coming to help Linda because we were all a little worried about laboring with a broken foot).
(2:52am) Megan arrived.
(3:10ish) Emily arrived.
I labored on the ball and sitting on the bed but had to get up and rock/moan through the contractions. Linda checked on the baby who was doing beautifully. I am amazed looking back how much talking and joking I was doing in between contractions. I still thought we were hours and hours away from meeting our baby.
(4:00am) I decided to give the tub a try. I removed my boot (ortho be darned) and hobbled in with some help. The water was amazing. I floated on my belly and held on to the side of the tub resting in between and then would pull up on Mike during a contraction. Somewhere around now my noises must have changed in some way. Linda suggested maybe I was needing to push. I wasn't convinced (ironically never had that urge with Michael either). I asked her to check me. She told me to wait one more contraction (I think assuming the urge would become clear). After the next contraction it still wasn't clear and I was afraid maybe I was only 4 cm or something. I was starting to have some pain in my back/tail bone but again didn't put the 2 together. She checked me and said it was time but the baby still needed to come down a bit. She checked on the baby several times while I was in the tub and the baby sounded perfect. After a few very intense contractions I reached down to feel the baby and although I could feel the baby's head it was still nestled pretty far inside. This is the only point in labor where I started to feel a bit discouraged like maybe the baby would be in there forever. I kept reminding myself that soon I would get to find out if it was a boy or a girl.
(5:08am) I started pushing. I felt like I wasn't making any progress but pushing did make me feel better.
(5:20am) Mike woke up Loralei so she wouldn't miss it.
(5:30amish) Michael woke up and came in our room next to the tub. He kept saying "mommy don't say that." I think because I was saying "ow ow ow" through the pushing. Mike called Sara to come help with him.
(5:35am) Sara came and took Michael downstairs to watch a show.
(5:40am) An intense contraction hit and I felt the baby slip down. We called Sara upstairs so Michael wouldn't miss it. I turned over to a semi-squat/sit position because I wanted to catch the baby and total squatting was out with my gimp foot. I pushed again and reached down and felt a head full of fuzzy hair. I helped slow the baby down and then the contraction passed. It was amazing to see a person briefly suspended between 2 worlds. Linda checked on the baby's shoulders (I guess to make sure they weren't stuck) and said that they were fine.
(5:48am) Another contraction hit and I pushed out the rest of my sweet baby. I pulled the baby up to my chest and quickly saw that it was a little girl. I said her name a bunch and kissed her and just started at her. Someone mentioned the cord was up around her shoulders and across the back of her neck (funny after Michaels came out over the top of his head...what do my kids do in there anywho?). Linda came and helped lift the cord up and around so she would have more room to reach me.
(5:49am) I pretty quickly felt a little pushy again and out slipped the placenta.
(6:15amish) I decided I wanted to get out and get in bed. After getting in bed I started feeling a little dizzy and nauseous like I have after my other 2 kids were born. Mike took the baby and Lor cut the cord. Linda then took the baby and got her measured and Mike weighed her and they got her dressed and foot printed. Things are a bit fuzzy here. Linda checked my blood loss, my pulse, and my blood pressure and everything was normal. Emily went to make me a peanut butter and banana english muffin and get me some juice (green goddess...yumo). I remember wanting to hold the baby but couldn't so I laid back down. After eating I started to feel a bit better. I realized I hadn't eaten since 4pm the night before and even then didn't eat much.
(8:35am) Linda wanted me to get up and pee. I crawled to the toilet and tried but couldn't. Somehow I got back in bed and laid down. Linda again checked all my vitals and they were normal. I could tell she was becoming alarmed. Her quiet and calm presence got much more formal and serious. She suggested Cytotec even though she thought the bleeding was normal. We discussed it a bit and I decided it was worth it.
(8:55am) I took some Ibuprofen as the after contractions were killing me, especially given how I was feeling.
(9:00am) Linda went downstairs to get a snack and took a short nap on the sofa.
(10:00am) Linda came up to check on me. Meanwhile, I had slept a bit and was feeling a bit better. She got me up to try to pee and I was able to (even walked to the bathroom). She checked my vitals again and they were all still normal. I was still a bit nauseous so she got me some peppermint oil. She also rubbed something on my belly that was supposed to help with the after pains (it must have worked along with the ibuprofen because they were manageable after this point). I ate some cashew balls and some energy bites and drank some more juice. I remember being crazy hungry.
(10:15am) Linda headed out and we began our new life as a family of 5.

Advertisement

~MY BLOG~

rachaeljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:25 PM   #2
rachaeljohnson
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Kathleen's Home Waterbirth

pics are in my blog
~MY BLOG~

rachaeljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:13 PM   #3
roseyroberts
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Great birth story! Congrats!
Old 03-17-2013, 04:20 PM   #4
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

congrats sweetie!
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Congrats!

Just checked your blog and OMG Kathleen is so adorable!
Emi Marie, 8.15.14

Last edited by 2208; 03-19-2013 at 04:27 PM.
2208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:42 PM   #6
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Congratulations
Old 03-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #7
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

great pics!! congrats mama
Old 03-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #8
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

congratulations!
Old 05-10-2013, 09:09 PM   #9
Taisleychick
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What a wonderful story! Sounds like your midwife was fabulous! Great job!!!!
Taisleychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:40 PM   #10
raindrop_333
Registered Users

My Mood:

Beautiful story! How amazing to catch your own baby Your pictures have me all teary.
raindrop_333 is offline   Reply With Quote