Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
simplelifemamma
Registered Users

Homemade woolies aren't lanolizing?

Hi, I'm bran new to cloth diaperingand I made a few wool soakers. I lanolized them and they leaked, I lanolized again, and they leaked. Then I wet the darn things and scrubbed them with my "sheepish grins wool wash bar" I rubbed the bar all over the inside of the wool, especially around the crotch, and my son still wakes up wet almost every time. The only time he doesn't wet through is if I have two prefolds on him, then the pee never even gets out of the diapers. Is it possible the used wool just doesn't have what it takes anymore? its used? abused? its just not going to take any crap anymore?
Also worth noting, I "tested" the insides to see if it was lanolized and the whole thing was puddling and repeling water except in the crotch area, where it absorbed the water better than my diapers do! Help! I want to love wool...and the more I read about people loving it and never having leaks the more depressed I get.

Advertisement

simplelifemamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
lyn1270
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Homemade woolies aren't lanolizing?

okay.....sounds like a couple of things to me...
1. you may have a Super Soaker. Some of our LOs could just pee out the ocean So maybe look at a different PF or whatever you are using. I used PFs and fitteds almost exclusively w/my last 2, and I can say that there is a big difference in absorption of different dipes.

2. may be that you need a spray lanolin to go on the outside. I have used it before for my night time wool. I get mine at Ewe Need It on HC and etsy.

and lastly.....is this crocheted, knitted, or sewn?? that may have something to do w/it as well. i found that my fave pieces of wool, esp for my heavy wetters, was either tight crocheted or interlock. while knit is beautiful, it just didn't seem to have the "strength" to hold in pee. i also liked recycled pieces, depending on the wool that they were made with.

hth!
lyn1270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:10 PM   #3
lovewool
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Don't give up just yet! Are you doing your lanolizing with your sheepish grins woolwash bar or are you melting lanolin in warm water and soaking it for a bit? The woolwash bar is more for washing off stains while replenishing lanolin, but your wooly item might need a really good soak in a lanolin bath. Did you felt the sweaters you used? Is the soaker 1 or 2 layers thick in the wet zone? It could also be that the sweaters you got were treated to be machine washable which lessens their ability to be a good, moisture repellent cover..
Old 03-15-2013, 08:32 PM   #4
MrsStripe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wool can only hold so much liquid. If the diaper underneath is soaked, then the will can only do so much to stop it. I can't explain why water is soaking through, but I think the diaper underneath is c more your problem.
MrsStripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:48 PM   #5
lady longs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Are you sure the material they're made from is wool? Are you sure of the amount of wool content?

Currently working on...Leading my heart where it should go....not yelling....and practicing patience.
lady longs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:00 PM   #6
2much2luv
Registered Users
seller
seller

I also wonder if you are lanolizing separately or just using the bar. If you haven't, get some good plain lanolin, dissolve in hot water with a drop of shampoo, add to tepid water with your woolies and let it soak as long as over night. If you've done that then I start to wonder about the wool content of your yarn and the quality of the diapers underneath. Like somebody already said I think, if your baby is a heavy wetter you might just need to beef up the absorbency.
2much2luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:05 PM   #7
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
My Mood:

1. Lanolize with some pure lanolin.
2. Add another wool layer to crotch area if lanolin isn't enough.
3. Add more doublers to your prefolds.

For making your own woolies! I loved my homemade woolies .
rumblepurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:44 AM   #8
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
To answer one of you questions, no: wool doesn't lose its natural function over time, but it does need to be heavily lanolized especially when upcycled. Commercial wool is stripped and processed so very little lanolin remains, and washing the sweater to felt it strips it further.

It sounds like you need to use more pure lanolin, or the sweater wasn't felted enough. How thick is the wool in that area?

I have yet to find a wool wash that provides enough lanolin to actually lanolize woolies - they work well for cleaning without stripping the existing lanolin, but not for actual waterproofing.