Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-15-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
TCKmom
Registered Users

What would you do?

Hi, ladies. I have just started leaking colostrum/milk and I am trying to decide whether I should start pumping now or wait until after the baby is born. Here is my situation/thought process and why I am not sure what to do. I am wondering what you would do in my situation.

With DD, my milk did not come in until the evening of the 5th day after she was born and she was not happy with that. I also had a lot of trouble with her latch and she was an extremely vigorous sucker and wanted to suck on me even when she wasn't hungry. That combo led to blistered and bleeding nipples which made it extremely painful and difficult to nurse for months. By the time I felt like we were getting the hang of it, my body was having trouble producing enough to keep up with her. I also had to return to work at 6 weeks postpartum and my body did not respond well at all to pumping. I could pump for 40+ min on each side and only get an ounce total which was extremely frustrating. I think that also contributed to my body not producing enough for her. I dried up at 6 months and had to switch completely to formula.

I am hoping for an easier/ more successful experience this time around since I have a better idea of how things work but am still concerned about having a hard time pumping enough while at work so I am wondering if I should start pumping now so that I can get a head start on storing enough for those couple of weeks that I am at work. However, I have been having some pretty intense contractions here and there already (I am 35 weeks today) and don't want pumping to bring on early labor.

I think that pretty much covers it. Thoughts? TIA!

Advertisement

Old 03-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
How much colostrum? If lots then I works try to save. I think threw gal I knew just said to keep clean
Old 03-15-2013, 09:49 PM   #3
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What would you do?

If you weren't having any contractions, I would think about it. But not until full term, so 37 weeks.
Where you're having these contractions, though, I would hold off on it completely.

If you're leaking all ready, that's a good sign that there'll be some colostrum there for baby until your milk comes in.
It sounds, too, like your DD may not have had a great latch - if you have a chance, google "dr jack newman" and have a look through his info/videos about a good latch. I wonder if that would help things, too.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #4
birdinhand
Registered Users

Pumping could potentially trigger pre-term labor...although I see we are due about the same time and the risk for birth right now is not bad, but it can affect breastfeeding to have a near-term premie.

If it is a lot of leaking, you could get breast hobbits (that sounds creepy, huh?) or Milkies -- that way you are saving the milk that would otherwise absorb into your clothes or pads...although I would bet it isn't a large amount. Your body won't satrt making mature milk until after your placenta has been delivered.

I would also bet that you will make milk sooner this time around if it wasn't due to a physiological reason (PCOS, severe blood loss, etc.).

Last edited by birdinhand; 03-15-2013 at 09:54 PM.
birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:18 PM   #5
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I'd get those milk saving breast pads. I personally wouldn't be comfortable risking that much nipple stimulation around this time. I hope BFing is easier for you mama!
mibarra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:20 PM   #6
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra
I'd get those milk saving breast pads. I personally wouldn't be comfortable risking that much nipple stimulation around this time. I hope BFing is easier for you mama!
Totally agreed.

We used the pump to avoid pitocin after my water broke. 1) it hurt and 2) it worked.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:03 AM   #7
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
I agree, too. Did anyone ever check your dd for a tongue or lip tie? The pain and problems with supply sound like it could have been part of the issue. Even a small tie can cause big problems.

Every kiddo is different. I hope your new LO will latch like a pro!
Old 03-16-2013, 07:07 AM   #8
jessicanashville
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't pump unless you want to have the baby soon. I think the milk savers are a great idea too
jessicanashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:58 AM   #9
TCKmom
Registered Users

Thanks, everyone! It's so nice to bounce ideas around with other people who understand and not have to try and figure it out on my own, hoping that my gut is right.

No one ever did check DD for a tie and I didn't know enough to ask. I will definitely look into getting some milk savers just in case I start leaking more. Right now it's enough that I notice a smell but no one else does and I feel a little uncomfortable (moisture wise) but it doesn't soak my clothes. Will hold off on pumping until the lo arrives :-)

Thanks for the ideas!
Old 03-16-2013, 08:27 AM   #10
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If it's enough leaking to have moisture on your clothes, I'd start using nursing pads now and change them when they're wet. You don't want to give thrush a good breeding ground, kwim?

DS2 had a really bad (good?) tongue tie at birth. He couldn't stick his tongue out at all. I made sure to get a good latch with him, in spite of the tongue tie (took some work to teach him, but we got there) and we had no troubles that way.

Last edited by canadianbakers; 03-16-2013 at 08:28 AM.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote