Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 03-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Question What fabric

So, I want to get a woven wrap. Would love to buy some of the more expensive ones but, really don't have the money. On esty they have some wraps that the child can be on the back but, the price is very reasonable. I also have more choices of colors. I'm sure some are the cotton gauze. Would these work well or should I spend the extra money and get the heavier fabric?

upstategirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: What fabric

I would recommend buying any baby carrier from a reputable maker. While there are some "big" WAHMs on etsy (Obimama, for example), I would focus on the FSOT board here or on to find a nice used woven wrap in your budget, instead of looking on etsy. It's hard to know if the fabric will be strong enough, the right weight to tie securely and still be able to untie without undue stress, etc.
squirrly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
Registered Users
Re: What fabric

I thought you could do back carries on woven wraps. It's the stretchy wraps (eg Moby) that you shouldn't do them in.

For me, climate dictated fabric. I live in a hot and humid state so I went a lighter fabric for my first wrap. I got a Vatanai Lavaredo from the FSOT in the plus, cotton is real easy to care for.

Other blend options are cotton/silk (just received mine in the mail today so I cannot personally comment), but from what I hear is supposed to be uber soft--though some may not be as supportive for toddler carrying. Also takes a little extra TLC to take care of.

Linen/cotton blends are supposed to be the workhorses of wraps, I think. Again, I don't have one yet, but will probably purchase one once my baby gets bigger

I hope my rambling helped.
rebeccarose is offline   Reply With Quote