Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-16-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
lady longs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I CANNOT believe I am asking a laundry question!

I cd'd a child for 2 years without a SINGLE laundry problem - even in the toddler years.

Now I have a 7 wk old and am having laundry problems. I am following the routine I used with the previous child - same house, same washing machine, same detergent, same wash routine, even some of the same diapers.

Except now, they're coming out smelling like poop! She is exclusively breast fed. How is this possible?

So, here's my routine:

1) Cold soak overnight - no detergent

2) hot wash - add RNG - 3 tbspns

3) Double cold rinse

What I don't understand is...why this worked before and isn't working now Oh well...time to learn right?

I am assuming that since they're coming out smelling that I need more detergent. Is this right?

If I need to switch, I will try most any detergent except Tide (long story which I won't explain here - just know that I won't try it)

If you think I need to change my detergent, lemme know what you think I should try. Thanks.

Tell me what to do mamas! Thanks

Advertisement

Currently working on...Leading my heart where it should go....not yelling....and practicing patience.

Last edited by lady longs; 03-16-2013 at 12:21 PM.
lady longs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
momEmac
Registered Users

My Mood:
My best guess is that your water has changed, they may be adding different/more chemicals, etc.

I would start with more detergent and change the first soak to warm water. Ebf poo dissolves better in warm water. If that doesn't fix it I would try a different detergent.

My iDevices are out to get me. Please excuse mistakes.

buildingmyhealth.my90forlife.com/
momEmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #3
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: I CANNOT believe I am asking a laundry question!

I don't know if Rockin Green changed their formula since you used it last. When I tried using it I got the nastiest smelling diapers I have ever had. My sister thought baby had pooped when she had actually just peed.

I say change your detergent. Also if you do an overnight soak why not use a bit of detergent or oxyclean. Then also make it hot water.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #4
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Why an overnight soak with no detergent? Sounds like diaper marinating to me. Try just doing a warm rinse cycle (with my FL I do a warm soak cycle for 20-30m) then washing.

just a thought, it may be the same routine you used with a 2 year old, but is it the routine you used with a newborn? Something to consider.

If you decide to change detergents (I used RNG now as well) but I am thinking of changing to Country Save or Biokleen premium powder - so would be my suggestions.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:30 PM   #5
Krissyboo236
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

"Marinating"! That's what I was thinking. Try just skipping the soak and doing 1 warm/1 cold rinse instead of 2 cold. Warm water works better to flush out poo and detergent alike.
We use country save on ALL our laundry and it really packs a punch for being so gentle/eco-friendly.

Last edited by Krissyboo236; 03-16-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Krissyboo236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:48 PM   #6
lady longs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ha ha. Marinating. That's funny. I do it bc I'm lazy. I just throw them in on soak and leave them over nite. Then handle it in the morning. My soak cycle doesn't have a way to drain it, so I have to remember to drain it. I'm terrible at remembering to handle laundry. Like I said, never had a problem before.

I will change my soak to SHORTER (ha) and warmer and see if that does it.

If that doesn't work, I will try more detergent.

If that doesn't work, I will try a new detergent.
(I have country save on hand, but the same thing happened with it as is happening with rng)
(I am wondering if rng changed their formula bc I had an old bag that worked fine. Its only my new bag that I just got -in new packaging- that its doing it with)

Yes, this is the same routine I used from newborn to potty trained on our last child.

Currently working on...Leading my heart where it should go....not yelling....and practicing patience.
lady longs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #7
kirst
Registered Users
seller

I would either ditch the RNG for something else or add RNG Funk Rock Ammonia Bouncer to a warm water presoak/prewash (not overnight cold soak with nothing). I personally think that they formulated RNG weakly on purpose to force you to "need" to buy additional laundry aids like the Funk Rock.

I suspect the Funk Rock is peroxyacetic acid crystals, but it is "secret proprietary blend". I have found it works for stripping in hard water, but also just adding 1 Tbsp to warm prewash as a preventative thing. I don't like how they don't disclose what it is,though, and I don't like how using RNG deteregent makes you "need it", so I have mostly switched to Tide F & G and just use the RNG stuff occasionally til it's used up.

Last edited by kirst; 03-16-2013 at 12:50 PM.
kirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #8
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would ditch the soak all together because they are just sitting in dirty water. Why not just do a regular cycle? I don't doubt that the RnG no longer works. I would do a cold rinse-NO SOAK- or prewash, then hot wash with really any other detergent. They are just swimming in bacteria at this point. Might want to do a good disinfecting wash (bleach,vinegar, TTO, HP etc.) and then switching detergents.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #9
Lostand
Registered Users
seller

I was having the same problem with RnG I switched to all free and clear and no more stink, but baby was getting a rash so I switched to Eco sprout and still no stink and now no rash )

I will never use RnG again
Lostand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:55 PM   #10
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Rocking green, had changed recently I hear so I would try different detergent. I use dreft.