Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
bozmom
Registered Users
seller

I'm a noob babywearer needing suggestions. I'm not good enough to figure out wraps, and I'm terrified of sling types, but am needing suggestions for something good for (possibly) 100+ degree, very humid weather. I've got a budget of about 60 dollars (but don't mind used). I have a Bamberoo mei tai (2nd hand, no clue what style) which I really like, but it is so hot. It's difficult to tolerate even at milder temperature. I was suggested a Boba by a friend, but she wasn't using it in the summer. Any suggestions?

Advertisement

bozmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
rebeccarose
Registered Users

Re: affordable, cool carrier?

Kinderpacks have great reviews and they carry a line of carriers with the kool nit option or the comfort mesh. If you can find it used at an FSOT at either this site or thebabywearers.com site or the babywear swap on Facebook, it might fit your budget. They are a little pricey new.
rebeccarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
squirrly
Registered Users

Kinderpack with the koolnit would be my first recommendation.

I find back carries easier for ME than front carries, in the heat. Not sure it makes much difference for DS, but the koolnit is really to help your LO - not you.

You can also wrap an icepack in a prefold, kitchen towel, etc. and slip between you to help cool off. Just remember to keep it well wrapped, especially against baby, and move it around frequently so that you don't get any super cold spots.

A big hat that shades both of you can help quite a bit, and helps prevent sunburn, too!
squirrly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
bozmom
Registered Users
seller

Thank you both for the suggestions. I'll check them out. And I never would have thought of the ice pack thing. Thanks for that, too!
Old 03-17-2013, 01:14 PM   #5
sweetDD
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm using the Action Baby carrier, it is a lightweight SSC so its cooler and more comfy for babies plus it is easy to put on/off. We love using this on our hot weather Tthis is $80-98 but last time I've check they are giving out $10% discount now if you share your cart in fb. Hope this helps!

Last edited by sweetDD; 03-17-2013 at 01:24 PM.
sweetDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:29 AM   #6
starbeam
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

you say you can't figure out a wrap, but i bet you can if you practice with the videos on youtube over and over, maybe with a stuffed animal! i would try a gauze wrap, they are so cool and incredibly versatile! you can get a beautiful new one from etsy for around $40
starbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:08 AM   #7
babychewbacca
Registered Users
seller

I agree with pp about the wrap. I have a woven (Wrapsody breeze) that took me a few days to get the hang of, but the videos on you tube helped a lot. It's cool for me and baby and I live in So. Florida.
babychewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:28 PM   #8
bozmom
Registered Users
seller

I don't know. I practiced with the moby several times, watched YouTube and even got my husband to help, and it was just awkward. Is there a way to adjust, without having to rewrap, if you get it too tight or too loose? I'm also curious if maybe my having scoliosis has anything to do with the difficulty I had with the moby. My shoulder to hip length is about 2 inches different from one side to the other. And my shoulders are rotated about 15 degrees from my hips. It makes fitting a bra a horrible pita; maybe babywearing will be, too?
Old 03-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #9
saturn
Registered Users

I would think that a wrap would be more comfortable than a SSC if you have scoliosis. When you are wrapping with a woven wrap, you usually do most of the wrapping and tightening with the baby on you, so it's easier to get the tension right than when you are pre-tying with a stretchy wrap.
saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:49 PM   #10
squirrly
Registered Users

A woven wrap might be worth trying, if you really want to wrap. See if you can borrow one from a friend or a local babywearing group before you commit to buy - they can be expensive, especially for the ones that are really comfortable to wear.
squirrly is offline   Reply With Quote