Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 08:54 PM   #1
epanouie's Avatar
epanouie
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 701
My Mood:
Anyone in Thailand? :)

Anyone in Thailand? and using cloth diapers?

Advertisement

epanouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:59 PM   #2
vatblack's Avatar
vatblack
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,583
My Mood:
Re: Anyone in Thailand? :)

No, but I used to live there and my clothes was washed by hand (by someone I paid). If you live in an apartment building you pay for laundry and they use machines.

Do you have your own washer and dryer? Some of the upscale apartments had those.

ETA: I was not ever close to being a mom there and I never, ever thought about it at all, so I'm no help. Just trying to imagine how you'd do it?
__________________
Decided to close my ETSY store because of CPSA regulations that I was not aware of when I started out.
Don't want to change my avi. Love the design too much.

Last edited by vatblack; 03-16-2013 at 09:00 PM.
vatblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
epanouie's Avatar
epanouie
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 701
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vatblack
No, but I used to live there and my clothes was washed by hand (by someone I paid). If you live in an apartment building you pay for laundry and they use machines.

Do you have your own washer and dryer? Some of the upscale apartments had those.

ETA: I was not ever close to being a mom there and I never, ever thought about it at all, so I'm no help. Just trying to imagine how you'd do it?
I appreciate your thoughts!! I live in the sunny, dry southwest US currently and am just trying to imagine how drying them would work especially...I can hang them out for an hour here and they're totally dry. There I know it is hot and humid most of the time...
epanouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:16 PM   #4
vatblack's Avatar
vatblack
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,583
My Mood:
Re: Anyone in Thailand? :)

Okay, the lady who hand washed my clothes hung them out to dry. My clothes were never machined dried. But I did not live in a classic apartment. I lived at the back of a family owned house and it was their worker who took my laundry for extra cash.

Some apartment buildings have communal laundromats too. I simply never used any of those things because I just used the services. If you live in an apartment and you are lucky to have a sizable balcony, you can probably line dry it on there.

Depending on the day, I don't think it takes too long to dry, but it isn't as fast as in a dry climate (also lived in Israel and the difference in drying time is remarkable).

Are you going to live in Bangkok? All the information I give you might be totally different if you live outside the main part of Bangkok. The further out you live, the bigger spaces you can rent for affordable prices. Bigger places, more space for hanging laundry and probably more likely that you will have good access to a washer and dryer.
__________________
Decided to close my ETSY store because of CPSA regulations that I was not aware of when I started out.
Don't want to change my avi. Love the design too much.
vatblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:46 PM   #5
epanouie's Avatar
epanouie
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 701
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vatblack
Okay, the lady who hand washed my clothes hung them out to dry. My clothes were never machined dried. But I did not live in a classic apartment. I lived at the back of a family owned house and it was their worker who took my laundry for extra cash.

Some apartment buildings have communal laundromats too. I simply never used any of those things because I just used the services. If you live in an apartment and you are lucky to have a sizable balcony, you can probably line dry it on there.

Depending on the day, I don't think it takes too long to dry, but it isn't as fast as in a dry climate (also lived in Israel and the difference in drying time is remarkable).

Are you going to live in Bangkok? All the information I give you might be totally different if you live outside the main part of Bangkok. The further out you live, the bigger spaces you can rent for affordable prices. Bigger places, more space for hanging laundry and probably more likely that you will have good access to a washer and dryer.
Oh yes, this is excellent information...thank you so much!! I truly appreciate it!
epanouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:07 AM   #6
vatblack's Avatar
vatblack
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,583
My Mood:
Re: Anyone in Thailand? :)

I just thought of something. If you have space inside your apartment, you might want to hang inside and put a fan on it. There are very effective standing fans in Thailand for very cheap. The wind from the fan helps things dry faster and then you don't have to worry about hanging it out in the pollution of the city.
__________________
Decided to close my ETSY store because of CPSA regulations that I was not aware of when I started out.
Don't want to change my avi. Love the design too much.
vatblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:17 PM   #7
epanouie's Avatar
epanouie
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 701
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vatblack
I just thought of something. If you have space inside your apartment, you might want to hang inside and put a fan on it. There are very effective standing fans in Thailand for very cheap. The wind from the fan helps things dry faster and then you don't have to worry about hanging it out in the pollution of the city.
Genius!
epanouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #8
Shimpie's Avatar
Shimpie
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,256
My Mood:
Re: Anyone in Thailand? :)

Thailand native here. Well sort off. I've lived in the States since I was two. I was born in Bangkok and visit family every few years.

My family has a maid who does the laundry. Maids are commonplace even for middle class Thai families. Washing machines aren't ubiquitous the way they are here, but they are increasing in number. Dryers are rare, and most people hang their laundry to dry. Even with the humidy and contant rain during monsoon season, clothing dries fairly fast. With the possiblity that your diapers may have to be hand washed and air dried, thick cotton and hemp inserts may be a challenge.
__________________
Weena,
wife to James and WOHM to Autumn (2.5)
Labels? I don't use labels. I can't even get my label maker to work.
Shimpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:32 PM   #9
epanouie's Avatar
epanouie
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 701
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpie
Thailand native here. Well sort off. I've lived in the States since I was two. I was born in Bangkok and visit family every few years.

My family has a maid who does the laundry. Maids are commonplace even for middle class Thai families. Washing machines aren't ubiquitous the way they are here, but they are increasing in number. Dryers are rare, and most people hang their laundry to dry. Even with the humidy and contant rain during monsoon season, clothing dries fairly fast. With the possiblity that your diapers may have to be hand washed and air dried, thick cotton and hemp inserts may be a challenge.
Thanks a bunch for your input!!
epanouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:02 PM   #10
kimb96
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,417
Re: Anyone in Thailand? :)

I lived in Thailand for 3 years. We just moved back about 18 months ago. Even in the humidity, clothes dry in a couple of hours. We had maid who did our laundry and I did it on weekends. You can have a front loading washing machine similar to here in the US but they are much smaller. I don't think it will be a problem using cloth. I would wash them in the washer and hang them to dry. We also did the drying rack in the house with a fan on rainy days. It works ok but it does take a lot longer to dry than when you have them out in the sun.

Where will you be living in Thailand?
__________________
Kim

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.