Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-17-2006, 12:31 PM   #11
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Those with older kids in carseats/boosters...

I have 9yr old twin boys and they're like 65+lbs and have been out of boosters since 2nd grade I think. I had issues with my dad not putting them in boosters or whatnot or letting them ride in the front seat. I had to really tell him how dangerous it is and that WHY risk it when the consequence is fatal?? Kids don't have that level of comprehension and its our job to protect them. I would put it on the line that she goes in the booster or doesn't go at all. Final answer. My kids were bummed when they were put BACK in a booster on 2 occasions when the law has changed. Its a bummer and I see kids all the time riding in newer model cars that I KNOW have airbags in the front and it just irks me. One benefit to our Honda Odyssey is that the front pass. airbag has a sensor on it to turn off if the weight is under 80lbs. I rarely let my boys ride in the front unless we have a full house and they're the biggest kids. They know that the law is the law and that we must obey it. Since it may not be a law in your state but only a recommendation, you should maybe find some info online and show her the seriousness of a booster seat in some states. Good luck!

Advertisement

Old 06-17-2006, 02:10 PM   #12
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachermama
Oh the FUN as they get older and more vocal about their opinions!! My daughter is only 3, but here in CA it is the law that children be 6 or 60 pounds in order to be out of the carseat. There is even new legislation attempting to change that law to an even higher age and weight limit.
They want to change it to 8 and 80 pounds. I live in CA too, and I can deal with 6 and 60 if they reach the seat belts safely, but 8 and 80 just might be stretching. It was just 4 and 40, 6 years ago I think (I think that is what my sister did.)
jjaelovesenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 11:24 PM   #13
singlemomto3
Registered Users
seller

I think 8 and 80 sounds reasonable. Although my daughter is 8 and 80 and i tell her maybe when shes 10 she can not have her booster. We don't have head rests so maybe if we did i could see me think about a low one or none. Safety first.. lol
singlemomto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 12:19 AM   #14
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have the opposite problem.. Our two older kids are in boosters and our 2yo wants desparately to join them! Poor guy.. We went out and bought him a seat tonight (he was nearly too big for his convertible anyway..). It was a happy compromise of a booster with a 5pt harness. Luckily, he still thinks it's pretty cool. (Now the older two are jealous cause the little two got new seats! Ugh.. can't please everyone! )
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 03:34 AM   #15
TaivensMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my son is only 7 yet he weighs 85 pounds and his butt is still in a booster... and when his friends ride with us I put their butts in seats too! haha...I am a car seat freak! so they have to do it in my car, my son doesnt know the difference..everyone ALWAYS says isn't he too big for this?? or when does he get to get out of this thing...my response is well it goes upto 100 pounds so when he hits the limit...a lot of his 6 year old friends don't use boosters due to our law only requiring until age 6 and I make no excetions in my car..I have plenty of seats always taivens seat and then spares in the back (trunk) they don't put up a fuss at all either I have gotten a TON of moms to put their kids back into boosters that didnt know the benefits after age 6...I love when that happens!...as far as getting past the embarrassments I always say well, hunny I love you and you are safest in this seat, many other parents don't know how important it is to keep their kids in a booster for a long time, and I want to make sure you are as safe as possible....
Back when he rode on a bus to feild trips I made him use the britax laptop and the school looked at me like i was from another planet but I just said have you seen the news lately? all the bus accidents kids being flung left and right...sorry...you need to use it or I will drive him myself
Old 06-18-2006, 06:11 AM   #16
Luv2bemommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

My older 2 are 5 and 7 and if they go with my mother they will take their boosters or my step dad will use the one he has to i only need to bring one. Here it's 8 yrs old or 80lbs (maybe its and?) and my 7 yr old is only like 50lbs, so it's going to still be awhile before he gives the booster up.. They both have the high back boosters that once had the 5 pt harness in them.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:55 AM   #17
mylittlemonsters
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisalas
My MIL, who I have (at best) a strained relationship with, is very lax about putting the kids in carseats. While she always uses the infant carseat with Katrina, she almost never belts it in tight enough. She has had my 2 year old (and even before he turned two) in just a seatbelt, and AT THE TIME he got out of the seatbelt and was standing up in the car(!!!!) but she still does it. It ticks me off to no end, but because of how she is and how DH is, I've promised my husband not to scream at her. I would love to, though, and everytime it happens I gripe at him about it and ask him to yell at her, which of course he never does. She even had a friend's 8-month old in a front-facing combo seat once, and I was just AGHAST. That one I did say something about, and she just said "Oh, he's safe enough, I'll drive careful." GRRRR!
I wouldn't let me MIL take my children in her car if she isn't going to respect my choices and the law. With us it is either put them in their carseats or they don't go with. We have had to deal with this with my dad and stepmom, they think they are completely unneeded and that we are over reacting. WE don't care what they think, they are OUR kids.

So I guess if you dh won't say anything to his mom about the kids being in their car seats and would rather you didn't then I wouldn't let them in the car. Maybe if she can't take them places then she will change her mind. If it is a situation where she is helping you out and watching your children, then imo you need to find someone else or find a way to transport them yourselves.

Good luck to everyone that has to battle family and friends on these issues, I know they aren't fun topics or easy to approach. Remember these are your children and you have the right to decide what is safest and how they will ride in a vehicle.
mylittlemonsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 10:50 PM   #18
teachermama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjaelovesenglish
They want to change it to 8 and 80 pounds. I live in CA too, and I can deal with 6 and 60 if they reach the seat belts safely, but 8 and 80 just might be stretching. It was just 4 and 40, 6 years ago I think (I think that is what my sister did.)
You are right about the four years ago law change, because when I started teaching kindergarten the law was 4 and 40 and it changed the following year. I remember quite clearly because it changed our entire field trip policy at our school. Now in order for the kids to go anywhere (1st or K students) they have to ride the school bus. It makes it a lot more expensive but MUCH safer for the kids. I had about 75% + who came to school daily with NO carseats and some even rode in the front. So, I'm glad they changed that law too, but it's still amazing how lax people are with it. We have posters up all over our campus with the new law details (even in several different languages!!)

For me, I'm ok with the law change if it goes to 8 and 80. It's a lot easier if they do it now while my oldest is young because she'll never know any different........................unlike me. I remember riding in the backseat of friends cars before seatbelts were even required. YIKES!!
teachermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 09:52 AM   #19
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

anyone know where you can find your spec state law for boosters??
just curious.
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 11:14 AM   #20
ohiomomma
Registered Users

Sandy this site has what you're looking for!

For the record, my 3 year, 42 pound DS is in a Britax Regent and his 5 year, 54 pound brother is in a Britax StarRiser Comfy and ASKING for a seat like his brother's with a 5 point harness (as soon as I can come up with 250$ his wish shall be granted!)... both my guys will ask for the Graco turbo boosters that I keep on hand as "grandma" seats... they won't get into a car unless they have a seat of some kind I could only wish for Ohio to go to 8 and 80... maybe by the time I have grandchlidren
ohiomomma is offline   Reply With Quote