Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-22-2006, 11:34 AM   #21
bsydprmkn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Those with older kids in carseats/boosters...

i would definately make sure shes in her booster. my sisters friend is 12 and she still HAS to be in a booster, as she is only 4'2" and weighs at most 80 lbs.

Advertisement

bsydprmkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 11:53 AM   #22
keeperof3angels
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well here in Florida it is just crazy how the law is written...basically it states that a child 4 to 5 must be restrained in "a separate carrier, child seat, or A SEAT BELT MAY BE USED" can you believe that....it isn't even a requirement, they threw in the seat belt may be used part which is just crazy to me!! So basically that means that only children three or younger have to be in a separate carrier or car seat by law!!

Well my 5 (fixing to be six) and 3 year old are in 5 pt harness car seats, i did have my 5 year old in a booster seat (just the kind that goes under her butt) and i was reading that those did more harm then good in a crash because when the child comes up it slides out from underneath them....so i just figured that i wouldn't take the chance and just put her back in the 5 pt. harness until she got too big for it and then get a booster with a back to it.

A question for a car seat tech :-)
As far as high back boosters vs. car seats with seat belt slots (the ones that are convertible), which are better?? The car seat she is in has the slots on the sides for a seat belt to go into, i just figured if it was in the truck why not just buckle it in through the seat belt and then let her use the 5 pt. instead of using the seat belt with the same seat herself...is that better?? and when should i start using the seat belt only, if ever? She is roughly 40 pds now but her head doesn't go above the seat and she is petite.

Thanks so much!!!!

Ashlynn (12/8/00) Jadyn (1/3/03) Madisyn (8/16/05) Gavin (7/10/07)
keeperof3angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 12:10 PM   #23
stephdpn
Registered Users
seller

My DD is in a high back booster. The law here in TN is 8 and 80 which is GREAT with me. ABSOLUTELY no one under the age of 8 rides with me without a booster. I bought an extra just for that purpose. My child will never ride in anyone's car without a booster. AND I MEAN EVER EVER EVER!! It is one of those things I am adamant about. I didn't read all the responses, but one of the first ones someone was talking about their MIL being lax with carseats, etc. My MIL wouldn't have my kids in her car ever again until they were 12, and I am not kidding. Carseats save lives, booster seats save lives, the laws are inacted for a reason - to keep kids safe, not to make life difficult. I am not directing this toward anyone here, just in general b/c I know I have lots of IRL friends who disregard carseat safety and it really burns me up. My IL's give us the crap about "Well, my kids never rode in carseats and they are just fine." HELLO!!!!!!
Old 06-22-2006, 12:27 PM   #24
Shay
Banned

In Ar it's 6 and 60 lbs. They recommend 4 ft 9 in before moving a child out.
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 01:21 PM   #25
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

This is off topic I suppose and I didn't read all the posts so forgive me if it wasn't mentioned...but I was in girl scouts when i was younger and maybe you could talk to the troop leader and suggest they have one of the meetings focused around safety...car safety, bike safety, etc. In no way would it be pointing your daughter out, and it would be enlightening to the other children (and/or parents).

Food for thought? Maybe they already do that...but just thought I'd throw it out there.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:22 PM   #26
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

Oh & my mil does the loose carseat thing too.....needless to say, ds1 rarely rides with her...and when he does, I strap him in and tighten the restraints (seatbelt holding his carseat in AND the harnesses strapping him into the carseat!)....ds2 never rides with her period.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:58 PM   #27
raceNzanesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know this past the trip, but I'm just seeing it so I need to chime in. As a tech I guess I get allowed being anal about this.

My oldest rode in a booster until he was 10.10 y/o. He needed it and that was that. There was NO discussion other than the need to be safe. His friends rode in boosters in our vehicles if they needed them or they didn't ride with us. Period. When Race went with others I sent a backless booster along and explained the needed for a lap/shoulder belt to the parent. I also asked that all other occupants be buckled since they are a danger. We've had our moments, but in the end it all worked out, no friends lost, etc. Now that he's almost 13 he gets nearly as much teasing about wearing a seat belt. Which, of course, is crazy since all his friends should be in belts. His friends don't tease him, but he went places with large groups of kids where no one in the van was buckled except him.

I have taught him that the child I'm concerned with is him. He needs to be properly buckled in a vehicle, wear his helmet when biking and skating, cross at corners, etc. What other parents allow their children to do is their business (as long as it doesn't harm him).

It can be a hard thing as a parent, but one I feel is necessary. Life choices aren't always easy, but it's important to pick the right ones.

For the record, most car seat/booster laws are crap. Kids NEED a booster until they fit a seat belt correctly. For most child/vehicle combos this is around 4'9"- yep that's 10 years plus for most kids. Seat belts are made for adult MEN and don't fit a child properly which can cause spinal and internal injury and death. Kids are ready for a seat belt alone when the can pass the 5 step test in ALL vehicles they ride in. From carseat.org:

"The 5-Step Test.

1. Does the child sit all the way back against the auto seat?
2. Do the child's knees bend comfortably at the edge of the auto seat?
3. Does the belt cross the shoulder between the neck and arm?
4. Is the lap belt as low as possible, touching the thighs?
5. Can the child stay seated like this for the whole trip?

If you answered "no" to any of these questions, your child needs a booster seat to make both the shoulder belt and the lap belt fit right for the best crash protection. Your child will be more comfortable, too!

The back seat is the safest part of the car for all passengers. Recent research shows that children should ride in the back seat until they reach age 15."

HTH!!

CPS Tech to all- Need car seat/booster help? EMAIL me.
raceNzanesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 03:50 PM   #28
lindsayncadence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i would make her take it and use it...

I dont have a dd her age but when my friend brings her dd over I dont take her carseat (she is 17 months) bc i think its unsafe and she uses it forward facing so in my car we do it MY way....it will always be that way or cadences friend will not be allowed to ride with us...sorry but thats my rule

I always install the carseat in whomevers car cadence is riding in (except her dad) bc i dont trust them .....i have to make sure she will be safe...but anyway yes have her take and use it !
Old 06-22-2006, 07:02 PM   #29
Dsunny1
Registered Users

"As far as high back boosters vs. car seats with seat belt slots (the ones that are convertible), which are better?? The car seat she is in has the slots on the sides for a seat belt to go into, i just figured if it was in the truck why not just buckle it in through the seat belt and then let her use the 5 pt. instead of using the seat belt with the same seat herself...is that better?? and when should i start using the seat belt only, if ever? She is roughly 40 pds now but her head doesn't go above the seat and she is petite."

I wanted to answer your question really quick as I don't think racenzanesmom saw it. If she is 40lbs or over and her seat is only rated for the harness to 40lbs, you can not use the harness any longer. If it is a seat that converts to a booster then you forst remove the harness, adn use the seatbelt accross her and the guides along the top side of the seat are used if the seatbelt doesn't hit her shoulder in the correct area. Some of the combination seats have what we call closed belt paths, so they hold the belt on the shoulder correctly, but if she leans forward and introduces slack into the belt, they don't allow the belt to retract so it is tight against her again. If that is the type of seat you have, I would use a high back booster that has an open loop for the shoulder belt portion so it retracts as it should, or you could buy her a seat that harnesses to 55-65lbs and worry about a booster when she outgrows it.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:17 PM   #30
raceNzanesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks Jen! I had missed that.

CPS Tech to all- Need car seat/booster help? EMAIL me.
raceNzanesmom is offline   Reply With Quote