Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 03-17-2013, 01:59 AM   #1
Registered Users
Interested in selling my knitting in the future

Well, I just learned to knit a few months ago, but I'm making steady progress in my ability and speed. So far I've completed 2 pairs of longies in my spare time, and am half way through a third pair, that look really nice so far(now that I've found a short row method that works well for me, the first two longies were not so good ). I've got to the point where I think I could easily finish a pair of longies in like three days if I had the time to put in a full work day each day(which I don't, so it'd prolly end up being more like a week's production time). Since I've mostly mastered the pants, I've been thinking of expanding to doing dresses and child sweaters and t shirts, and also sleep sacks.

Is there a good market for these items right now? I mean the longies/shorties/soakers are probably a wanted item just for diapering, but how popular are the little girl's dresses and such?

Also, any tips for advertising? I was thinking of maybe completing a few sample pieces and selling them cheaply just to get the word out. I bought the seller's version of the Evie pants pattern, which are pretty well known, so I'm hoping that will help.

Kyonarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:08 AM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Interested in selling my knitting in the future

I have a boy but I'd say it's a pretty good market, especially if you're willing to indulge geeky parents. There are a lot of geeks and not a lot of little kid geek apparel so I think if you offered customs like that- you'd fill a niche that most people don't. I'm thinking of Doctor Who right now (like a knitted Dalek dress or Tardis dress.)

Also, please don't ask your customers to buy wool and then ship it to you as a standard business practice. It's an overall frustrating and expensive endeavor for someone who doesn't want or need the ridiculous amount left over. Also, stock some amazing boy colors. Mothers of boys are quick to want customs from WAHMs with pretty wool for our sons.
Delphiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:04 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Interested in selling my knitting in the future

I asked a similar question about crocheted longies on here awhile ago. Here's the link to my thread.
People post knitted and crocheted clothing on Etsy and Hyenacart but I'm not sure if they are actually selling any of it. It'd be nice to get a little insight from some of those sellers.
hippie whose comments unintentionally :stir: Ignore me.
4ShoreRN is offline   Reply With Quote