Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-19-2013, 08:25 PM   #21
mimi57
Registered Users
seller

Re: Dave Ramsey Support Thread ~ March 18-24

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberP View Post
^ What is your diaper cream recipe?
http://www.betweenthekids.com/2011/0...n4HKQ.facebook

Advertisement

mimi57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:07 AM   #22
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

Gah! My husband! It's so hard to be mad at him for spending money, when he's spending it on things for me. I finally agreed to let him buy me a cell phone. There was one at the store near his work that was only 25 euros. So I agreed, since the plan is only like 10-15 euros. He came home yesterday with a freaking miniature version of his galaxy s3. the 25euro one was "crappy." but thats exactly what i wanted!! he spnt over 100 euros on this stupid thing. I don't knw WHY he insisted on a nice phone, when I told him I wanted a super basic phone. MMS is as fancy as I want it to get, I did not want apps and data and Internet. I would rather be able to save for travel than pay to be able to Facebook in the car, ya know? But I can't show I'm mad at him (I did voice my displeasure, however), because he was trying to think about things I "might like one day."
~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:08 AM   #23
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherMoonPads
Good morning!

We aren't going to talk about this last week financially. I travelled cross country for a funeral, while I was gone my husband became very sick and we now have hospital bills.

I'm just going to start this week fresh and new and deal with things as they come. I've adjusted our budget for the month, and it will be okay.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:11 AM   #24
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennedyMommy
Hi Ladies,

This is what I posted on the last page.

Okay so here is my dilemma... I owe $80,000 to student loans. I owe $20,000 at 9.5% interest (paying $200/month), $10,000 at 3.25% (paying $40/month), and $10,000 at 4% (paying $35/month). I know DM says to pay off the smallest amount first, but if I paid the other 2 off first, it wouldn't leave me with much of a sb. What should I do? Thanks ladies
Mayb its addressed further down, but I only see $40k?? Is the rest on deferment? I would pay off the smaller ones first. It really does feel awesome to see your smaller debts disappear.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:58 AM   #25
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

So we need a new van. We have $4200 in ffef. We need $7200 for 3 mo bare bone expenses. We have $1400 a month going to ffef a month. We don't have a car fund yet . We owe 12000 on house and no other debts . We have $900 in health account. So dh wants to buy new because he gets gm discount. The van we are looking at is $32000 (more than house). Right now we have one van that has transmission issues and is $4000 to fix with 160000 miles. Dh isn't willing to put that much $ into it . We qualify for 2.9% interest.

I am stuck. I want a dependable van but dont want a car payment. However I can't get a dependable van that fits 2 in carseats and three teens for $3200 which would be bringing us down to ef status . Which makes me super umcomfortable. Dh thinks we should put $1000 down on van then pay minimum until we get $7200 in ffef then pay off house because that interest rate is 6% then pay off van. Thoughts ?
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:58 AM   #26
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulawolf View Post
So we need a new van. We have $4200 in ffef. We need $7200 for 3 mo bare bone expenses. We have $1400 a month going to ffef a month. We don't have a car fund yet . We owe 12000 on house and no other debts . We have $900 in health account. So dh wants to buy new because he gets gm discount. The van we are looking at is $32000 (more than house). Right now we have one van that has transmission issues and is $4000 to fix with 160000 miles. Dh isn't willing to put that much $ into it . We qualify for 2.9% interest.

I am stuck. I want a dependable van but dont want a car payment. However I can't get a dependable van that fits 2 in carseats and three teens for $3200 which would be bringing us down to ef status . Which makes me super umcomfortable. Dh thinks we should put $1000 down on van then pay minimum until we get $7200 in ffef then pay off house because that interest rate is 6% then pay off van. Thoughts ?
What about something in the middle? Have you looked at newer, used vans in the 15k range?
Old 03-20-2013, 11:31 AM   #27
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberP View Post

What about something in the middle? Have you looked at newer, used vans in the 15k range?
We have but mile wise that's in the 60000 range and dh hates that. dh has, never bought a used car until he met me and the two, used we bought have, needed lots of work and we only had both of those for 3 years. Dd1 totaled hers and both have needed, major repairs. I am looking at one for 30000 town n country and the dealership just told us we qualify for 0% interest for 60 months. So I'm thinking if I can get it down to 25000 or less then as long as we paid it off withen 60 mo it would be ok.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:34 PM   #28
hsleonard
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecandi View Post
Ok so.....Im paying off my little cc (600ish) with the refund. It has 0 interest til 10/13. Is it stupid to transfer some from the big cc (7k, 9%) to the little cc and then pay it off?......like 1k (assuming the transfer fees arent rediculous). Mainly to just have a smaller balance thats collecting interest on the biggun. Is that stupid?
Personally I just closed each account when it was paid and went down the list. Dave spoke about it a few times on his show about not moving debt around and just focusing on getting it paid off. You will be paying $90 on the 1K in interest if you leave it on the card. I don't know if that is a big enough savings to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna1988 View Post
Gah! My husband! It's so hard to be mad at him for spending money, when he's spending it on things for me. I finally agreed to let him buy me a cell phone. There was one at the store near his work that was only 25 euros. So I agreed, since the plan is only like 10-15 euros. He came home yesterday with a freaking miniature version of his galaxy s3. the 25euro one was "crappy." but thats exactly what i wanted!! he spnt over 100 euros on this stupid thing. I don't knw WHY he insisted on a nice phone, when I told him I wanted a super basic phone. MMS is as fancy as I want it to get, I did not want apps and data and Internet. I would rather be able to save for travel than pay to be able to Facebook in the car, ya know? But I can't show I'm mad at him (I did voice my displeasure, however), because he was trying to think about things I "might like one day."
Oh husbands, they mean well but sometimes they just don't get it!!!!

AFM: Things are good, DH was able to work some over time so it looks like there will be a SB after all this month Im going to vist my best friend in boston this weekend, but its going to be super cheap and I really need some girl time so I am looking forward to it
Thirty-one gifts
Come swag with me!!! I have earned over $100 in amazon gift cards so far
Zycon Foods -"saving money on high-quality food products."
hsleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #29
KrisM
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulawolf View Post
We have but mile wise that's in the 60000 range and dh hates that. dh has, never bought a used car until he met me and the two, used we bought have, needed lots of work and we only had both of those for 3 years. Dd1 totaled hers and both have needed, major repairs. I am looking at one for 30000 town n country and the dealership just told us we qualify for 0% interest for 60 months. So I'm thinking if I can get it down to 25000 or less then as long as we paid it off withen 60 mo it would be ok.
$30,000 at 0% for 60 months is $500/month, leaving $900 towards FFEF and debt. That's 3.5 months to fill the ffef. Then 13 months for the house and another 24 months for the rest of the van. Total of 40 months or so to be debt free, using just the $1400 you mentioned above. To me, that sounds like a long time.

If you got it down to $25,000, you're down to $416/month and you can finish in about 33 months total. Better.

The Dodge site lists the lowest Grand Caravan at $20k. With the discount, maybe it's $17000. If you can get 0% on that, it would be great. You could get it paid off sooner and then work on saving towards a higher model with some bells and whistles.

Oh, wait. you said GM discount, but are looking at Town and Countries. Now, I'm not sure which you get

Earn gift cards or paypal at Swagbucks! Click Here to join the fun!
KrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:59 PM   #30
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller

My Mood:
Yay tax return is in! I set half of it in savings. DHs job is kinda unsteady at tho moment, so Im paying off the dentist tomorrow (200) and I ordered glasses/rx sunglasses (200/45) but we are holding the rest of it for now....well, almost all of it.........
Probably not a superwise move, but we are taking a little minivacation to Galveston in April (4hrs away) I found a killer deal on a room on the seawall (36/nt with a mil discount =120ish$...I <3 low season!!). They have free breakfast and we will pack sandwich fixins and only eat out a couple times. The beach, ferry, and train museum are free and I will look at other things to do. It will also fall on odd's bday so we will do something special that day. This is probably the only chance we will get before I get too preggo to travel, then baby, then dh deploys......so its ON like donkey kong!! We will have to board the dog but its 3-4 days so max 80ish $. 200ish for gas....I'll have to work out a food budget later. Squeeee! Im so excited! We had so much fun last time.
I have my 1hr glucose test tomorrow. Yaaaay :/

Last edited by bluecandi; 03-20-2013 at 11:22 PM.
bluecandi is offline   Reply With Quote