Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-20-2013, 10:01 PM   #31
DustysSweety03
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Dave Ramsey Support Thread ~ March 18-24

de lurking

We are working on getting our bills caught up . We just paid off my van last month so that's a extra $643 a month Downside it'd been broke since end of Sept... finally got our tax refund to get it fixed after it got into the shop we later found out what went from a slight repair of possible just a new valve body and radiator after they really got into it turned into the following... new radiator, new valve body, and a rebuilt transmission-- $3,477.52 later it's drive able again.
Dh's goal is for us to pay off 1 credit card a month starting with our lowest one which i think only has a balance of $124 and our highest one has a balance of $4,582

Advertisement

DustysSweety03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:43 PM   #32
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustysSweety03 View Post
de lurking

We are working on getting our bills caught up . We just paid off my van last month so that's a extra $643 a month Downside it'd been broke since end of Sept... finally got our tax refund to get it fixed after it got into the shop we later found out what went from a slight repair of possible just a new valve body and radiator after they really got into it turned into the following... new radiator, new valve body, and a rebuilt transmission-- $3,477.52 later it's drive able again.
Dh's goal is for us to pay off 1 credit card a month starting with our lowest one which i think only has a balance of $124 and our highest one has a balance of $4,582
Well that sucks about the van (except for the paid off part.....HOLLA!!!!) Were you able to cash flow it? Hugs!! And WTG on that fat sb!!!! Good luck on your goals!! How many cc do you have left? Ive got 3......once DH's job settles down and the tax return doesn't need to be hoarded, I will only have 1. WOOHOOO!!!
Old 03-20-2013, 10:44 PM   #33
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecandi View Post
Yay tax return is in! I set half of it in savings. DHs job is kinda unsteady at tho moment, so Im paying off the dentist tomorrow (200) and I ordered glasses/rx sunglasses (200/45) but we are holding the rest of it for now....well, almost all of it.........
Probably not a superwise move, but we are taking a little minivacation to Galveston in April (4hrs away) I found a killer deal on a room on the seawall (36/nt with a mil discount =120ish$...I <3 low season!!). They have free breakfast and we will pack sandwich fixins and only eat out a couple times. The beach, ferry, and train museum are free and I will look at other things to do. It will also fall on odd's bday so we will do something special that day. This is probably the only chance we will get before I get too preggo to travel, then baby, then dh deploys......so its ON like donkey kong!! We will have to board the dog but its 3-4 days so max 80ish $. 200ish for gas....I'll have to work out a food budget later. Squeeee! Im so excited! We had so much fun last time.
I have my 1hr glucose test tomorrow. Yaaaay :/
Can you tell my ADD kicked in? lol

Last edited by bluecandi; 03-20-2013 at 11:22 PM.
bluecandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:51 AM   #34
lakemom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulawolf View Post
We have but mile wise that's in the 60000 range and dh hates that. dh has, never bought a used car until he met me and the two, used we bought have, needed lots of work and we only had both of those for 3 years. Dd1 totaled hers and both have needed, major repairs. I am looking at one for 30000 town n country and the dealership just told us we qualify for 0% interest for 60 months. So I'm thinking if I can get it down to 25000 or less then as long as we paid it off withen 60 mo it would be ok.
There are always ways to justify getting a loan. However, Dave would say either get a $3200 used (plus add what you'd get out of the old van to that), stop adding to the ffef and beef up the car fund for a few months (presuming you could keep the other one limping along for a few more months) and get a slightly newer used van, or put the money into fixing the current car. Have you had several mechanics look at it for you? Was the consensus 4k or is that just dh's estimate based on what he thinks might be the problem. One mechanic told me my van needed 2k in work (new main computer plus installation and something else) turns out all it needed was a hidden short fixed ($75 labor charge). So shop around, see what the current van could be fixed for, shop around to see what you could get in a used van for 3-5k and keep on the DR bandwagon. Or if it really would make you feel better buy the new and be proud owners of a car that will depreciate 40% in the first year and could be taken away if crap happens and you end up with no income for a period of time. Hang tough, think outside the box (or dealership if you will) and a solution will come to you.
lakemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:28 AM   #35
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisM View Post

$30,000 at 0% for 60 months is $500/month, leaving $900 towards FFEF and debt. That's 3.5 months to fill the ffef. Then 13 months for the house and another 24 months for the rest of the van. Total of 40 months or so to be debt free, using just the $1400 you mentioned above. To me, that sounds like a long time.

If you got it down to $25,000, you're down to $416/month and you can finish in about 33 months total. Better.

The Dodge site lists the lowest Grand Caravan at $20k. With the discount, maybe it's $17000. If you can get 0% on that, it would be great. You could get it paid off sooner and then work on saving towards a higher model with some bells and whistles.

Oh, wait. you said GM discount, but are looking at Town and Countries. Now, I'm not sure which you get
We get chevy, dodge, chrysler. Thanks I will look at a caravan.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:53 AM   #36
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakemom View Post

There are always ways to justify getting a loan. However, Dave would say either get a $3200 used (plus add what you'd get out of the old van to that), stop adding to the ffef and beef up the car fund for a few months (presuming you could keep the other one limping along for a few more months) and get a slightly newer used van, or put the money into fixing the current car. Have you had several mechanics look at it for you? Was the consensus 4k or is that just dh's estimate based on what he thinks might be the problem. One mechanic told me my van needed 2k in work (new main computer plus installation and something else) turns out all it needed was a hidden short fixed ($75 labor charge). So shop around, see what the current van could be fixed for, shop around to see what you could get in a used van for 3-5k and keep on the DR bandwagon. Or if it really would make you feel better buy the new and be proud owners of a car that will depreciate 40% in the first year and could be taken away if crap happens and you end up with no income for a period of time. Hang tough, think outside the box (or dealership if you will) and a solution will come to you.
Thanks for advice. My dh knows, nothing of, mechanics so I never trust advice. $4000 was the lowest of the local, mechanics. Dh won't fix it and we have no running vehicle. Waiting months is not an option. I am currently looking at used options but frankly I dont want to throw $3200 away on a junker. Especially since we bought this van outright at $6000 and it has, given us nothing but problems. so right now we are borrowing my parents van. I am going to look around some more . Hoping to find a van for 10~15 with less than 35000 miles. I think I could convince dh to buy that. We would still need a loan though but if I put 4000 down then it would be a, blink of an eye.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #37
MamaJules
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Thanks for advice. My dh knows, nothing of, mechanics so I never trust advice. $4000 was the lowest of the local, mechanics. Dh won't fix it and we have no running vehicle. Waiting months is not an option. I am currently looking at used options but frankly I dont want to throw $3200 away on a junker. Especially since we bought this van outright at $6000 and it has, given us nothing but problems. so right now we are borrowing my parents van. I am going to look around some more . Hoping to find a van for 10~15 with less than 35000 miles. I think I could convince dh to buy that. We would still need a loan though but if I put 4000 down then it would be a, blink of an eye.
Not the DR way, but personally I would go ahead and buy a decent (non-clunker) van now. My DH is very NOT handy, so any repairs that need to be done we have to pay for, so those add up quickly. I don't think I would put $4k into a vehicle that will need to be replaced soon. If you can find a decent used van with lower miles, that would be a good option. But when we have looked, with the bad economy for several years now, finding a good used car seems to mean paying just slightly less than a brand new car.

Good news in two areas! One, my BIL did our taxes (usually I do them myself, but they were a little more complicated this year, and he is a tax accountant and did them for free, so yeah!) and we are only owing $614. I was expecting it to be quite a bit more, as DH did a 401k rollover to a Roth IRA. Woo hoo! And on a second happy note -- DH's car is just shy of 200k miles, and he has been talking quite a bit recently of buying a new one. I want him to hang onto it until it dies so we can get more saved up. Well we were talking last night, and he said that now he wants to keep it until at least next summer (assuming it doesn't completely die before then). It is running pretty well right now, and he only uses it for work -- any time we are together we use my car. So that makes me feel much better to not have to jump into a giant car loan right now.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #38
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaJules View Post

Not the DR way, but personally I would go ahead and buy a decent (non-clunker) van now. My DH is very NOT handy, so any repairs that need to be done we have to pay for, so those add up quickly. I don't think I would put $4k into a vehicle that will need to be replaced soon. If you can find a decent used van with lower miles, that would be a good option. But when we have looked, with the bad economy for several years now, finding a good used car seems to mean paying just slightly less than a brand new car.

Good news in two areas! One, my BIL did our taxes (usually I do them myself, but they were a little more complicated this year, and he is a tax accountant and did them for free, so yeah!) and we are only owing $614. I was expecting it to be quite a bit more, as DH did a 401k rollover to a Roth IRA. Woo hoo! And on a second happy note -- DH's car is just shy of 200k miles, and he has been talking quite a bit recently of buying a new one. I want him to hang onto it until it dies so we can get more saved up. Well we were talking last night, and he said that now he wants to keep it until at least next summer (assuming it doesn't completely die before then). It is running pretty well right now, and he only uses it for work -- any time we are together we use my car. So that makes me feel much better to not have to jump into a giant car loan right now.
Yay on the taxes. I have been searching.all day and all vans with less than 40,000 miles are over 17000. We went to the dealership this morning and I can get a new dodge caravan for 19800 out the door with 1.9% financing. (the discount was better than taking 0%). however my dh just showed me that our cc company sent us an offer for 2.9% interest. We have a 0 balance on that card with a $20000 limit. So if I didn't want a secured party I could write a check from the cc . I wonder if we offer cash if they will go lower.

Anyway. No decision today. I make myself wait 7 days to make large purchase decisions. I might call and see if they will drop it even more. I am also going to look at cashing in some savings bonds I got from my mom. I got.them when I was kid from my great gramdma. I didn't even know I had them until a few months ago. I am not even sure how to cash them in. the face value on them totals $2500 .
Old 03-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #39
deezee02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulawolf

Yay on the taxes. I have been searching.all day and all vans with less than 40,000 miles are over 17000. We went to the dealership this morning and I can get a new dodge caravan for 19800 out the door with 1.9% financing. (the discount was better than taking 0%). however my dh just showed me that our cc company sent us an offer for 2.9% interest. We have a 0 balance on that card with a $20000 limit. So if I didn't want a secured party I could write a check from the cc . I wonder if we offer cash if they will go lower.

Anyway. No decision today. I make myself wait 7 days to make large purchase decisions. I might call and see if they will drop it even more. I am also going to look at cashing in some savings bonds I got from my mom. I got.them when I was kid from my great gramdma. I didn't even know I had them until a few months ago. I am not even sure how to cash them in. the face value on them totals $2500 .
The closer to the end if the month, typically the cheaper they will go
Old 03-21-2013, 01:51 PM   #40
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:

Well we may have solved my problem. I just called the treasury to verify but my series e bonds total $11251 . I had no idea ! so I am going to cash those in because they can't mature any more. that would pay off the house !

Squee ... Decisions !